Was the Recent Intergalactic Explosion Evidence of Alien Technology?

In summary, an alien probe caused a warp core breach, which resulted in an explosion. The article also discusses some of the unknowns about this event.
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that new Guru banner sure looks nice Wolram!

Yeah, it kinda makes me jealous that all I have is this lame-o Admin logo. At least until I realize I can vaporize you all if I want. Muhaha. Ha.

edit: and the article is pretty cool, too

- Warren

Evo said:
Wow, that new Guru banner sure looks nice Wolram!

Hey when did that pop up?

wolram said:
Hey when did that pop up?
While you were looking up.

Oh Wolly, that's just fantastic! You wear it so well:redface:

hypatia said:

It is nice, but some times i am being serious and people think i am being funny, and vice versa, like this new evidence for ancient space exploration by inteligent aliens, i think i am the first to interpret this information.

Great some one has run off with the speakers to this PC, i will have wait till i get home.

OK----What caused that explosion?-------any ideas from the parsec's gallery?

hypatia said:

It looks like the avatar is your kill and the banner your trophy.

rewebster said:
OK----What caused that explosion?-------any ideas from the parsec's gallery?

From the NASA page
What came next was a total surprise. Contrary to experience with more than a hundred previous GRBs, Gemini spectra revealed no signs of dense gas and dust absorbing the light of the afterglow. A trace of magnesium revealed that the burst took place more than 9.4 billion years ago, as deduced by the shift in wavelength of the afterglow’s light, and that the surrounding gas and dust was more tenuous than the environment around any previous burst.

. . . .

"Many Swift discoveries have left astronomers scratching their heads in befuddlement," adds Swift lead scientist Neil Gehrels of NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "But this discovery of a long GRB with no host galaxy is one of the most perplexing of all."

Math Jeans said:
It looks like the avatar is your kill and the banner your trophy.

I am thinking about making a transfer of the avatar and puting it on one of my bikes,
should look cool.

Is it possible that there could simply be dust clouds in the way which would prevent weaker emissions from reaching us, yet allow the emissions from a massive GRB explosion right on through?

B. Elliott said:
Is it possible that there could simply be dust clouds in the way which would prevent weaker emissions from reaching us, yet allow the emissions from a massive GRB explosion right on through?

What came next was a total surprise. Contrary to experience with more than a hundred previous GRBs, Gemini spectra revealed no signs of dense gas and dust absorbing the light of the afterglow. A trace of magnesium revealed that the burst took place more than 9.4 billion years ago, as deduced by the shift in wavelength of the afterglow’s light, and that the surrounding gas and dust was more tenuous than the environment around any previous burst.
Absorbtion lines (or rather, lack of) have evidently ruled that out.

Danger said:
Absorbtion lines (or rather, lack of) have evidently ruled that out.

Thanks Danger. I must have been distracted when reading that part. Since they mentioned detecting magnesium and the fact that there was nothing there before (at least not previously detected) how about a neutron star collision?

Just found this after doing a little research. The only problem being that this was a long duration one...

Before such a merger, these stars are thought to lead a tumultuous life together, with each in turn exploding as a supernova to become a neutron star. The explosions can kick the pair out of their home galaxy. So in the billions of years it takes the neutron stars to merge, the theory predicts they will lie far away from any galaxy, in empty space.
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7364

Interesting link, B. I hadn't heard about that.

So in the billions of years it takes the neutron stars to merge...
That surprised me. Given the gravitational forces involved, I figured that a couple of neutron stars would merge in a matter of seconds.

Danger said:
Interesting link, B. I hadn't heard about that.

That surprised me. Given the gravitational forces involved, I figured that a couple of neutron stars would merge in a matter of seconds.

I thought the same thing till i read that article. Is there any other way for us to detect old neutron stars other than microlensing?

I'm ashamed to admit that I can't remember what 'micro-lensing' means; I haven't really read that much about such things in several years.
Neutron stars can be discerned by their gravitational effects upon neighbouring bodies (useless in this case, as there are none), but I don't know that one can differentiate between one of them and a black hole by that method. If it is properly aligned, then you can detect the 'pulsar' signal. Your best bet here is to wait for Space Tiger to weigh in.

The greatest minds on the planet are here on the forum-----someone should be able to figure this out!

rewebster said:
The greatest minds on the planet are here on the forum
Well, count me out of that crowd; I'm just a curious fellow who stumbled into a mindfield. I agree, though, that nothing is beyond the combined intellect of PF.

I'd like to know what the spectral lines are closest to that we know---just how different, besides being in an 'open area' of space, what other qualities did it exhibit?

Related to Was the Recent Intergalactic Explosion Evidence of Alien Technology?

1. What could cause an alien star ship to explode?

There are a variety of factors that could cause an alien star ship to explode, such as a malfunction in the ship's engines or propulsion systems, a collision with an object in space, or an attack from another alien species.

2. How powerful would the explosion of an alien star ship be?

The power of an alien star ship explosion would depend on the size and technology of the ship. It could range from a small explosion similar to a firework, to a massive explosion with the force of a nuclear bomb.

3. What would happen to any surviving aliens after the explosion?

If any aliens were able to survive the explosion, they would likely be injured and in need of medical attention. They may also face challenges in finding a new home or means of transportation.

4. Could an alien star ship explosion cause damage to nearby planets or objects?

Yes, depending on the proximity of the explosion to other planets or objects, there could be damage caused by the blast or debris from the explosion.

5. How would scientists study an alien star ship explosion?

Scientists would use various tools and techniques, such as telescopes, spectroscopy, and satellite imagery, to study an alien star ship explosion. They may also gather physical samples from the debris to analyze in a laboratory.