Was Car A Speeding? Analyzing a Collision Using Physics Principles

In summary, Car A had a mass of 1900 kg and crashed into parked Car B with a mass of 1100 kg. Car A claimed to have hit the brakes 15 metres before crashing into Car B. After the collision, Car A slid an additional 18 metres while pushing Car B 30 metres from its parked position. The coefficient of friction is .6 between the locked tires and the road. The Attempt at a Solution found that Car A was speeding and that the legal speed limit of the road was 90 km/h.
tealmarie2010

Homework Statement

Car A has a mass of 1900 kg and crashes into parked Car B with a mass of 1100 kg. Car A claims to have hit the brakes 15 metres before crashing into Car B. After the collision, Car A slid an additional 18 metres while pushing Car B 30 metres from its parked position. The coefficient of friction is .6 between the locked tires and the road. Prove that Car A was speeding. Legal speed limit of the road is 90 km/h.

Homework Equations

F=ma
W=[tex]\Delta[/tex]KE
KE=.5 x mv[tex]^{2}[/tex]
F[tex]_{net}[/tex]=F[tex]_{horizontal}[/tex]-F[tex]_{friction}[/tex]
F[tex]_{friction}[/tex]=[tex]\mu[/tex]mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I set force friction equal to the force of motion, and got that to be 11400 Newtons. Then I plugged that into the equation for work, and used 18m as the displacement, and 0 for the final velocity, and solved for the initial velocity. I got 14.697 m/s as that answer. Then I used the equation for work again, but this time I used 14.697 m/s as the final velocity, and found the initial velocity to be about 6 m/s. However, I don't think it's right, since I didn't use anything about Car B. I'm not sure exactly what to do with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
tealmarie2010 said:
I set force friction equal to the force of motion, and got that to be 11400 Newtons. Then I plugged that into the equation for work, and used 18m as the displacement, and 0 for the final velocity, and solved for the initial velocity. I got 14.697 m/s as that answer. Then I used the equation for work again, but this time I used 14.697 m/s as the final velocity, and found the initial velocity to be about 6 m/s. However, I don't think it's right, since I didn't use anything about Car B. I'm not sure exactly what to do with it.

What's the "force of motion" and how did you calculate it? What equation for work are you talking about; is it W=Fd? I really don't understand what you did.

On a similar problem my teacher posted, he set Force Friction equal to Force Motion. I'm not entirely sure why he did that, and as I can't ask him, I was just going with it.

And sorry, I use S as displacement, which is the same as distance. In my physics class we use different variables.

OK, so what's the "force motion"?

I would approach the problem by calculating the kinetic energy of the two cars right after the collision. This is equal to the energy lost by friction before the cars came to rest. Then, I'd add on the energy lost by A as it was braking. This will give the initial kinetic energy of A.

For the Force Motion, I set it equal to [tex]\mu[/tex] times Force Weight, and got 11400 for Car A, and 6600 for Car B.

Would I use the final velocity that I calculated for Car A as the velocity in the Kinetic Energy equation?

Related to Was Car A Speeding? Analyzing a Collision Using Physics Principles

1. What is the relationship between energy and car collisions?

Energy plays a crucial role in car collisions as it is what causes the impact and damage during a crash. The kinetic energy of a moving car is converted into destructive energy upon collision, which can result in injuries and property damage.

2. How does the speed of a car affect the energy of a collision?

The speed of a car has a direct impact on the energy of a collision. The faster a car is moving, the more kinetic energy it possesses. This means that a car traveling at a higher speed will have a more powerful impact and cause more damage during a collision.

3. Can the design of a car affect the energy of a collision?

Yes, the design of a car can significantly impact the energy of a collision. Cars with crumple zones, which are designed to absorb and dissipate energy during a collision, can help reduce the force of impact and protect the occupants of the vehicle.

4. How does the weight of a car affect the energy of a collision?

The weight of a car also plays a role in the energy of a collision. Heavier cars have more kinetic energy, which means they will cause more damage upon impact. However, they may also have stronger structures and safety features that can help reduce the force of a collision.

5. Is there a way to measure the energy of a car collision?

Yes, the energy of a car collision can be measured using physics principles, such as the conservation of energy and momentum. This can help investigators determine the speed and force of a collision, which can provide valuable information for accident reconstruction and safety improvements.