WarwickZ Main Interest: Philosophy of math -- Foundations

• Thread starter WarwickZ
  • Start date
In summary, WarwickZ is primarily interested in the philosophy of mathematics, specifically the foundations of mathematics. This field of study delves into the fundamental principles and concepts that underlie mathematical systems and theories. WarwickZ likely examines questions such as the nature of mathematical truth, the relationship between mathematics and the physical world, and the role of logic in mathematical reasoning. By exploring these topics, WarwickZ seeks to gain a deeper understanding of the nature and significance of mathematics in our world.
WarwickZ
My name is Rick Zeamer, User name WarwickZ.

My main interest is in the philosophy of mathematics specifically in forming a foundation for mathematics not employing the presently accepted logic. As such I am concerned with a precise definition of what an object is, and what it is not. This question is relevant to the paradoxes of set theory and the nature of infinitesimals. The work I have done on this might be viewed as a continuation of Husserl's logical investigations and grows directly from the philosophy of science espoused by Edward Pols.

The foundation I am working on:
Apart from attempting to establish a philosophically non naïve foundation for mathematics my mathematical interests are in combinatorial group theory especially the theory of free groups and their associated near-rings. My PhD work was in this field and conjectured that characteristic subgroups of a free group of infinite rank can be factored uniquely as a product of primes. Proving this remains to the best of my knowledge an open problem. My attempts to prove it have led me to study graphs and their relation to subgroups of free groups.

I have certain political persuasions, such as that maps should be written on the right ((x)f rather than f(x)) and that quaternions are the right way to approach vector algebra and the mathematics of physics generally.
I have a strong interest in geometry and am always trying to find more transparent proofs of important results. My knowledge of physics is elementary but I am interested in learning more.

I would be happy to collaborate with anyone who can put up with my ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can offer guidance mainly in high school math, undergraduate calculus, linear algebra, group theory.

I need help in thermodynamics and fluid dynamics.

Hi there :)

Welcome .