Want to measure 2 different angles and make a calculation

In summary: A microcontroller can do the math and output the result, while a data acquisition device can save the data to a file for further analysis. Both of these options are available at a low cost. In summary, you are trying to measure the angles of a rail that is tilted inwards towards the inside of the track, for the purpose of computing a final number.
botlfed98
i have a project where I need to measure 2 different angles and then take those 2 measurements and compute a final number. I was thinking about using inclinometers to do the measuring of the angles but am really stuck on what hardware/software to use. I was hoping to find something that is already off the shelf and can be purchased for a relatively reasonable amount. Please let me know if you guys have any ideas, your help is greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
if you need more info on what I am trying to do please just ask...thanks!

Welcome to Physics Forums

Since this is the electrical engineering forum and angles (apart from phase angles) are mechanical I think a clear statement of purpose is appropriate.

botlfed98 said:
if you need more info on what I am trying to do please just ask...thanks!
Why don't you just tell us instead of waiting to be asked?

Can you draw us a picture of your setup (the more detailed the better), and/or elaborate on what it is that you're trying to measure? There are a great many ways to measure angles, however, none are universally applicable. As well, what sort of output are you looking for? Are you interfacing with a microcontroller? Do you just want a display of the angle? Do you need it on your PC?

To paraphrase Jerry Maguire, "Help us help you!"

DaveC426913 said:
Why don't you just tell us instead of waiting to be asked?

sure, didn't know if it really was important what I'm trying to measure...measuring the angle in which rail is tilted inwards towards the inside of the track and then want to do compute a final number dependent on the 2 measured angles.

botlfed98 said:
i have a project where I need to measure 2 different angles and then take those 2 measurements and compute a final number. I was thinking about using inclinometers to do the measuring of the angles but am really stuck on what hardware/software to use. I was hoping to find something that is already off the shelf and can be purchased for a relatively reasonable amount. Please let me know if you guys have any ideas, your help is greatly appreciated!

botlfed98 said:
sure, didn't know if it really was important what I'm trying to measure...measuring the angle in which rail is tilted inwards towards the inside of the track and then want to do compute a final number dependent on the 2 measured angles.

One device you can use to measure the angle is a "rotary encoder" -- you would probably want to use the absolute angle measuring version:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...der&gbv=2&aq=0&aqi=g6g-m4&aql=&oq=rotary+enco

yes i know how to measure the angles that I need to measure but am stuck on the next piece of hardware/software to use that would take my 2 signals/outputs and make a final calculation

botlfed98 said:
yes i know how to measure the angles that I need to measure but am stuck on the next piece of hardware/software to use that would take my 2 signals/outputs and make a final calculation

Well, the two most common ways would be to use a microcontroller (uC), or use a data aquisition device interfaced to a PC.

Related to Want to measure 2 different angles and make a calculation

1. How do I measure two different angles?

To measure two different angles, you will need a protractor or a measuring tool with angle measurements. Place the protractor on one angle and align it with the vertex (point where the two lines meet) and one of the sides of the angle. Then, read the measurement on the protractor. Repeat this process for the second angle.

2. What units should I use to measure angles?

Angles are typically measured in degrees (°), but they can also be measured in radians (rad) or revolutions (rev). Make sure to check which unit is being used in your calculations or equations.

3. How do I calculate the difference between two angles?

To calculate the difference between two angles, subtract the smaller angle from the larger one. For example, if one angle measures 60° and the other measures 40°, the difference would be 60° - 40° = 20°.

4. How do I calculate the sum of two angles?

To calculate the sum of two angles, add the two angles together. For example, if one angle measures 30° and the other measures 45°, the sum would be 30° + 45° = 75°.

5. How can I use angle measurements in real-life scenarios?

Angle measurements are used in various fields such as engineering, construction, and navigation. They can be used to determine the height of a building, the slope of a road, or the direction of a ship. They are also important in geometry and trigonometry for solving equations and problems.