Want to Help with My PhD Qualifying Exam?

In summary, if you are looking for assistance with your PhD qualifying exam, there are many options available to you. You can seek help from your peers, professors, or online resources such as study guides and practice exams. It is important to thoroughly prepare for the exam and familiarize yourself with the format and content. With dedication and hard work, you can successfully pass your PhD qualifying exam and move on to the next stage of your academic journey.
matandch
Hi my name is Matt. I'm preparing to take my PhD qualifying exam which consists of a 25 minute PowerPoint presentation with oral questioning to follow. If anyone has a few minutes and would like to take a look and offer comments or questions it can be viewed at:

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/mchabalk/

ANY input you have for me would be greatly appreciated! Be as picky and
critical as you like!

Thank you for you help.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
matandch said:
Hi my name is Matt. I'm preparing to take my PhD qualifying exam which consists of a 25 minute PowerPoint presentation with oral questioning to follow. If anyone has a few minutes and would like to take a look and offer comments or questions it can be viewed at:

ANY input you have for me would be greatly appreciated! Be as picky and
critical as you like!

Thank you for you help.

Matt

Welcome to the PF, Matt. Very interesting subject matter, and well presented, IMO. I love the last slide :biggrin:

Are you sure that's only a 25 minute presentation, though? There's a lot of meat there. Have you timed yourself giving it? Have you practiced in front of some buddies? Will the people be allowed to ask questions during the presentation, or only afterwards?

These slides sucked me in, this is an interesting topic. Looks you've got all the graphics down, all I can suggest is practice orally more, not that it's bad or anything, it's good. But with more practice, it will be more natural. And wish you good luck on the exams.

Thank you all for you comments (keep them coming!). This was from one of my initial practice sessions and thus one of the roughest. Opens me to a bit more criticism, but that's what I want.

Yes, big problem, it's almost 20 min. over. So I'm in the process of cutting it down. Any suggestions on what slides, content etc. can be cut, w/o comprmising the presentation?

No questions will be asked during presentation. Profs. will have 2.5 hr afterward to do so.

I'll be practicing almost daily for the next 2 weeks, so hopefully the flow will get more natural.

Thanks again.

Matt

I have my most recent practice session up now if you want to check it out and offer comments:

I give a little pre and post background commentary and the actual presentation. Was able to shave off about 10 more min. My friends tell me speaking style is much more relaxed.

Thanks again.

Matt

Latest version is up:

Matt

Related to Want to Help with My PhD Qualifying Exam?

1. What is a PhD qualifying exam?

The PhD qualifying exam is a comprehensive assessment that doctoral students must pass before advancing to the next stage of their PhD program. It typically consists of written and/or oral components and is designed to test a student's knowledge and understanding of their field of study.

2. Why is feedback important for a PhD qualifying exam?

Feedback is crucial for a PhD qualifying exam as it allows students to understand their strengths and weaknesses, and provides them with valuable insights on how to improve their performance. It also helps students to identify any gaps in their knowledge and address them before taking the exam.

3. Who provides feedback for a PhD qualifying exam?

Feedback is typically provided by a panel of experts in the student's field of study, such as their advisor, committee members, and other faculty members. They assess the student's performance and provide constructive feedback on areas that need improvement.

4. How can I use feedback to prepare for my PhD qualifying exam?

To use feedback effectively, it is important to carefully review and reflect on the feedback provided by the panel. This can help you identify any weaknesses and develop a plan to improve in those areas before taking the exam. It is also helpful to seek clarification or ask for additional feedback if needed.

5. What should I do if I receive negative feedback on my PhD qualifying exam?

Receiving negative feedback can be disheartening, but it is important to remember that it is meant to help you improve. Take the feedback as a learning opportunity and use it to identify areas for improvement. You can also discuss the feedback with your advisor or other faculty members to develop a plan for addressing any weaknesses before retaking the exam.