Want to do something meaningful in life

• Thread starter DREAMWALKER
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary: Consider different ways to approach the material and see where you are strongest. I am currently reading The Age of Spiritual Machines by Ray Kurzweil.I think it's is superb! Also, Dr Brian Cox's program on BBC was mind blowing. One of the reasons I'm so serious about it..And..I had named my thread 'Crossroads' see it now as..something else...
DREAMWALKER
Gold Member
Dark Side:

I am a 28 year old advertising professional. I am extremely upset with the course my profession has taken. I feel unwanted in my office. I hate what I am doing for a living. On the other hand, I am extremely bad with numbers and math in particular.

Bright Side:

I love physics. And philosophy. I'm writing a Sci-fi novel. I want to do something meaningful in life.

Any suggestions, on how to go about starting my course to this beautiful world of Quantum Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Go back to university?

That's rather a scary scenario. I have a wife and my retired parents to take care of. Is there any way I can achieve my goals while on a job(I don't like one bit)?

You might be able to study in a university (or community college) and do a job, but it might be too difficult. Honestly if your objective is to simply learn and enjoy physics, you can do that on your own. However, it seems like you want to learn physics and get a job in it. You probably won't get one without a degree.

Rocket50 said:
You might be able to study in a university (or community college) and do a job, but it might be too difficult. Honestly if your objective is to simply learn and enjoy physics, you can do that on your own. However, it seems like you want to learn physics and get a job in it. You probably won't get one without a degree.

Ah..this job bit is a little troubling. As of now, I just want to learn and enjoy it yes. Honestly the amount of math in it is giving me nightmares even if I were to give up everything for it ..

So where do we begin?

OK, learning on your own isn't too difficult if you have enough motivation. What is your current level in mathematics and physics?

Rocket50 said:
OK, learning on your own isn't too difficult if you have enough motivation. What is your current level in mathematics and physics?
Mathematics -Knowledge - 4/10. Interest - 2/10

Physics - Knowledge - 3/10. Interest - 11/10.

:) Math isn't that bad...

What I meant by level is:

math - algebra, calculus etc
physics - classical mechanics, general physics etc

Rocket50 said:
:) Math isn't that bad...

What I meant by level is:

math - algebra, calculus etc
physics - classical mechanics, general physics etc

My bad.

Math- Algebra was my favorite I remember. I loved it. Don't know what's Calculus. May be in India it's called something else.

Physics - General Physics. Don't know what's classical mechanics..

PS: Did someone change my thread name or merged it with someone else's..?

DREAMWALKER said:
My bad.

Math- Algebra was my favorite I remember. I loved it. Don't know what's Calculus. May be in India it's called something else.

Physics - General Physics. Don't know what's classical mechanics..

PS: Did someone change my thread name or merged it with someone else's..?

OK, so it looks like you have completed math and physics until about the high school level (although they do cover Calculus in grade 11 and 12 in India). If you need a refresher in mathematics, try "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang. Calculus is the next logical step in your math journey. An excellent book to use is Spivak's Calculus.

For physics, you can try a general physics book like Giancoli, Halliday or "University Physics".

Your post hasn't been changed as far as I know.

You can take online courses offered by
coursera.org
edx.org
udacity.com (try their intro to physics and the college algebra course)

All are free massive open online courses (MOOCs).

Rocket50 said:
OK, so it looks like you have completed math and physics until about the high school level (although they do cover Calculus in grade 11 and 12 in India). If you need a refresher in mathematics, try "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang. Calculus is the next logical step in your math journey. An excellent book to use is Spivak's Calculus.

For physics, you can try a general physics book like Giancoli, Halliday or "University Physics".

Your post hasn't been changed as far as I know.
Awesome...but can't I start with physics first and pick up maths on the way?

I am currently reading The Age of Spiritual Machines by Ray Kurzweil.
I think it's is superb!
Also, Dr Brian Cox's program on BBC was mind blowing. One of the reasons I'm so serious about it..
And..I had named my thread 'Crossroads' see it now as..something else...

sabq said:
You can take online courses offered by
coursera.org
edx.org
udacity.com (try their intro to physics and the college algebra course)

All are free massive open online courses (MOOCs).
Thank you sabq. I will see it tonight..

For better or worse, after high school level physics, you need a lot of mathematics. For the first year books you need calculus and the list of math keeps on piling up. Don't think of this as discouraging though!

Rocket50 said:
For better or worse, after high school level physics, you need a lot of mathematics. For the first year books you need calculus and the list of math keeps on piling up. Don't think of this as discouraging though!
It's a sacrifice I will have to make for the love of physics I guess..

Haha.

If you are serious, stay away from those books like "The Age of Spiritual Machines" and tv shows and follow the advice you've been given here.

Evo said:
If you are serious, stay away from those books like "The Age of Spiritual Machines" and tv shows and follow the advice you've been given here.
Oh ok. It's an interesting book if you ask me. But yes, I'm serious about my love of physics and that's why I've come here.

How about Biocentrism and The Ascent of Man?

You can toss biocentrism. Ascent of man is a nice tv series and also book of the tv series by Jacob Bronowski, but you said you are interested in physics.

Evo said:
You can toss biocentrism. Ascent of man is a nice tv series, but you said you are interested in physics.
Physics AND Philosophy. But I love anything that's a mix of both. I like to keep my mind open when it comes to books written by notable names in technology.

Some notable names aren't worth reading. Also, please be aware that we don't allow discussions of philosophy, just FYI.

Evo said:
Some notable names aren't worth reading. Also, please be aware that we don't allow discussions of philosophy, just FYI.
Note taken. Thanks once again..would u suggest some good authors and books?

DREAMWALKER said:
Dark Side:

I am a 28 year old advertising professional. I am extremely upset with the course my profession has taken. I feel unwanted in my office. I hate what I am doing for a living. On the other hand, I am extremely bad with numbers and math in particular.

Bright Side:

I love physics. And philosophy. I'm writing a Sci-fi novel. I want to do something meaningful in life.

Any suggestions, on how to go about starting my course to this beautiful world of Quantum Physics.

Do you know this quotation?

"Chess is as elaborate a waste of human intelligence as you can find outside an advertising agency."

Raymond Chandler

DREAMWALKER said:
Note taken. Thanks once again..would u suggest some good authors and books?

I've been here a couple of months and learned great news and useful information. Search the forums with any keywords for your interested physics related topics. People beat questions like yours to almost death and we are still beating (because they're immortal).

PeroK said:
Do you know this quotation?

"Chess is as elaborate a waste of human intelligence as you can find outside an advertising agency."

Raymond Chandler
Haha. No but my learning begins... Thanks for the quote!

Medicol said:
I've been here a couple of months and learned great news and useful information. Search the forums with any keywords for your interested physics related topics. People beat questions like yours to almost death and we are still beating (because they're immortal).
I shall do that my friend..Thanks and cheers!

good authors and books
Well, there are books "about physics" and there are "physics books." These are not the same thing. Most of the people who post on this forum are more interested in the latter - but these books are more difficult and they do require you to learn the mathematics.

As far as the "about physics" books, I like the biographies. But you must be careful, there are lots of bad ones. Abraham Pais' book on Niels Bohr is very good IMO. (Niels Bohr's Times, In Physics, Philosophy, and Polity) But then, Pais is a physicist and an excellent writer. Other bio's are written by less informed authors so they concentrate on the personality rather than the physics, and I like those much less.

I agree with gmax137 and Evo, but from what I see popular science books are a good way to maintain one's interest in physics (or so I've heard), even though it gives a lot of false ideas.

Start by going through Khan Academy's physics videos

The suggestion was made earlier that you should possibly read Spivaks Calculus. I strongly advise against that.
It will be a immense waste of your time. You don't seem interested in math beyond its applications to physics. And to be frank the added rigour won't do much for you in the context of physics. That being said you should definitely consider less rigorous sources.

You could try Richard Feynman's Physics Lectures that are now also available online for free:
http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

Feynman explains math as he goes, and you are introduced to the essence of 'physics thinking' in my opinion.

The books are also entertaining but not a very easy read perhaps as Feynman uses an unusual perspective not typical for introductory books.

There are also great Videos of Feynman's lectures targeted to a lay audience online, I guess this one might also appeal to the philosopher in you:

http://www.cosmolearning.com/course...r-lectures-the-character-of-physical-law-472/

But use such videos only to complement the books - there is no shortcut to understand the math.

Likes 1 person
NATURE.M said:
The suggestion was made earlier that you should possibly read Spivaks Calculus. I strongly advise against that.
It will be a immense waste of your time. You don't seem interested in math beyond its applications to physics. And to be frank the added rigour won't do much for you in the context of physics. That being said you should definitely consider less rigorous sources.

A lot of physics majors are required to take a calculus course at the level of Spivak.

elkement said:
You could try Richard Feynman's Physics Lectures that are now also available online for free:
http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

The Feynman lectures in Physics are way too difficult for an introductory course and don't have any problems. They are pretty good though after you take an introductory course in classical mechanics and electricity & magnetism.

DREAMWALKER said:
Also, why can't I simply start here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=240792

Our very own guide?

That's more about the journey of a physics student through undergrad and grad school. It doesn't really have many book recommendations for self-study.

I think its very, very weird to like physics and dislike math as much as you claim... Thats like loving cars but hating engines. As you move forward those will probably come together in the like or dislike category. Math is the language of physics. Without it you are just collecting tidbits and facts.

If you really want to dive into the "beautiful world of Quantum Physics" then you need to spend a few years studying math.

Last edited:
ModusPwnd said:
I think its very, very weird to like physics and dislike math as much as you claim... Thats like loving cars but hating engines. As you move forward those will probably come together in the like or dislike category. Math is the language of physics. Without it you are just collecting tidbits and facts.

If you really want to dive into the "beautiful world of Quantum Physics" then you need to spend a few years studying math.
Ouch! Ok...guess there is no other alternative but to do that...hmm.

Undergraduates who are taking their first course in quantum mechanics have generally studied algebra and trigonometry, three semesters of calculus, one semester of differential equations and one semester of linear algebra. This is just to scratch the surface, but with those fundamentals under your belt you can develop more math along the way while studying quantum. The subjects above are a pre-requisite with more math later as you progress.