Voting Proposition Help: Appraisal for Water Stewardship Land

• News
  • Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voting
In summary, the proposition is a tax amendment that would change the way the government appraises land for taxation purposes. It would base the assessment on the land's productive capacity rather than its current use.
Drakkith
Mentor
Hey all. Just got my ballot into vote on some propositions (I vote for Texas legislature) but I'm not sure what one of them really means.

The constitutional amendment providing for the appraisal for ad valorem tax purposes of open space land devoted to water stewardship purposes on the basis of its productive capacity.

I know what an ad valorem tax is, but I have no idea what it means by the "on the basis of it's productive capacity" part. Is this land that's devoted to water stewardship doing some kind of water processing or something? What is the tax currently based off of?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are in the USA and I am not, I can base this only upon my understanding of Yank greed. That, of course, is dependent upon who is in charge. An organisation such as Ducks Unlimited will have a far different approach to the matter than will either the EPA or a real estate developer. The term "water stewardship" implies to me some sort of nature conservation, but I don't know for sure.
In your position, as a caring taxpayer, I would request a clarification in layman's terms before voting.
Just my opinion, since I'm not one of you, but that's what I would do here in Canada.

You don't need to know complcated stuff like what an ad valorem tax is.

The proposition means "if this proposition is carried, your politicians will get richer". Exactly the same as every other proposition on the ballot paper.

Do I detect a hint of cynicism?

Danger said:
Do I detect a hint of cynicism?

Compare the total expenditure on national election campaigns in the UK and US:

UK 2005: £44m
US 2008: $1601m
UK 2010: £34m

Sources: http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/news-and-media/news-releases/electoral-commission-media-centre/news-releases-donations/parties-spend-31-million-at-uk-general-election
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_for_the_2008_United_States_presidential_election

People don't pay that sort of money for nothing, even at the UK's cut-price rates.

A Google search for "texas ballot propositions 2011" led me to this page:

http://votexas.org/exp-statements-2011.html

which didn't tell me much about the purpose of the proposition, but it did tell me that it it's Proposition 8. A further search for "texas proposition 8" led me to

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Texas_Water-Stewardship_Tax_Amendment,_Proposition_8_(2011)

which has some more information, including pro and con arguments. The other hits for that search probably have useful information, but I didn't bother pursuing it further because I'm in South Carolina so it's not my ballot.

Aleph, you have got to either work on your sense of humour or quit responding to my jokes. I don't have time to explain them to you.

AlephZero said:
You don't need to know complcated stuff like what an ad valorem tax is.

The proposition means "if this proposition is carried, your politicians will get richer". Exactly the same as every other proposition on the ballot paper.

I don't care what your opinion on politicians is, this isn't the thread about it. If you can't stick to the topic then please don't post.

Jtbell that is exactly what I needed! Thanks so much! I tried searching on google, but I guess I didn't type in the right phrase lol.

JT, those are very cool links. I didn't actually read them, since they have no relevance in my life, but I did score enough of a glimpse to realize how appropriate they are to the original question. Nice catch.

Related to Voting Proposition Help: Appraisal for Water Stewardship Land

1. What is "Voting Proposition Help: Appraisal for Water Stewardship Land"?

"Voting Proposition Help: Appraisal for Water Stewardship Land" is a proposition on the ballot that seeks to provide financial assistance to landowners who are committed to protecting and preserving water resources on their property.

2. How will this proposition help with water stewardship?

This proposition will help by providing funding for landowners to conduct appraisals of their property to determine the value of their water resources. This will help them make informed decisions about conservation and management practices, and also potentially increase the value of their land.

3. Who is eligible to receive assistance under this proposition?

Landowners who own at least 5 acres of land and are committed to protecting and preserving water resources on their property are eligible to receive assistance under this proposition.

4. How will the funding for this proposition be generated?

The funding for this proposition will come from a small tax on properties that are connected to the water supply system. This tax will be used to provide financial assistance to landowners for appraisal services.

5. What are the potential benefits of passing this proposition?

The potential benefits of passing this proposition include better management and conservation of water resources, increased property values, and a healthier environment for both humans and wildlife. It also encourages and rewards landowners for their commitment to water stewardship.