Vote: Which musical artist would you choose?

• Music
  • Thread starter DennisN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    music poll
In summary: voted for Jimi Hendrix, the only artist on the list that I saw perform in person; at a Monterey Jazz Festival

Which musical artist would by a ticket to?

• Total voters
Klystron said:
Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR) and Jefferson Airplane
I couldn't make out from your post if you had seen them live or not.
They did some great songs.

Jefferson Airplane: White Rabbit. (wow)
Creedence Clearwater Revival: Bad Moon Rising

Likes Klystron and pinball1970
Science news on Phys.org
DennisN said:
I couldn't make out from your post if you had seen them live or not.
They did some great songs.

Jefferson Airplane: White Rabbit. (wow)
Creedence Clearwater Revival: Bad Moon Rising
I cannot remember dates and venues but I saw Jefferson Airplane live a few times, IMS with LA band The Doors once at a concert in California. Never saw the reorganized Jefferson Starship live but enjoyed their albums. Grace Slick was one of my favorite vocalists. "White Rabbit" remains an all time classic.

I heard John Fogarty perform live at the outdoor auditorium in Golden Gate Park but disremember if CCR played sets that day, then again in Berkeley with his brother and bandmates.

Be-ins sprouted all over the San Francisco Bay Area from Summer of 1968 into the 70's. I rarely remember buying tickets or paying admission. As a teen my friends and I often helped bands set up equipment and tune instruments receiving free show passes as payment. Live music seemed ubiquitous back then from school dances (dress codes) to Elks Club (clothing optional swimming pools!) and seemingly every Summer night at Kelly Park in San Jose. Live concerts on the Pacific Coast from Big Sur to Santa Cruz Boardwalk to Half Moon Bay to the old Sutro Baths near Cliff House were legendary.

Likes Astronuc, pinball1970 and DennisN
Meanwhile, in the UK

The Yardbirds

Likes Klystron, pinball1970 and collinsmark
Vanadium 50 said:
So, this musician dies and goes to hell. All the great musicians go to hell. The devil meets him there, and introduces him to his band - on guitars are Brian Jones and Duane Allman. Bass is John Entwistle, "but sometimes Jaco Pastorius sits in". Keyboards is Keith Emerson.

Our musician is wondering "Who's the drummer? John Bonham? Ginger Baker? Maybe Moon? Sure...got to be Keith Moon"

In comes a skinny girl, sits at the drums and she says, "All right everybody. Rainy Days and Mondays, in E-flat".
Karen Carpenter was a really good bebop style drummer. She would get along great with Charlie Parker. That's the band I'd want to see/hear.

Hornbein said:
Karen Carpenter was a really good bebop style drummer. She would get along great with Charlie Parker. That's the band I'd want to see/hear.
I have read stories of the fact management had to practically drag her from behind the kit to front the band to sing.

Not many voices like that a beautiful rich velvet tone especially in the lower register where women struggle a little bit.

Lana Del Ray has nice lower tone although I have not heard a huge amount.

Kate Bush for me you may remember ticks all the boxes in terms of having it all.

Those first 3 albums written played sang recorded all before she was 22, she produced the next one which took two years.

Live she sang, played, piano, danced and choreographed the shows, sadly she did not do many and was done by 1980 I think.

Very easy to call her a genius.

pinball1970 said:
Lana Del Ray has nice lower tone although I have not heard a huge amount.
What I've heard with her I like, but same here, I have not heard very much.

pinball1970 said:
Kate Bush for me you may remember ticks all the boxes in terms of having it all.

Those first 3 albums written played sang recorded all before she was 22, she produced the next one which took two years.

Live she sang, played, piano, danced and choreographed the shows, sadly she did not do many and was done by 1980 I think.
She is excellent. She apparently did some live show(s ?) a couple of years ago. One of my friends is a huge fan, and he told me he went to London just to see her perform live. If I remember correctly he told me it was very difficult to get tickets.

Likes pinball1970
DennisN said:
What I've heard with her I like, but same here, I have not heard very much.She is excellent. She apparently did some live show(s ?) a couple of years ago. One of my friends is a huge fan, and he told me he went to London just to see her perform live. If I remember correctly he told me it was very difficult to get tickets.
Yes there is a lot on YouTube and my friend and I celebrated finishing out A levels by watching the video of her live. 1979/80 at the Hammersmith. From memory I think it's the first two albums, The Kick Inside and Lionheart.
Bear in mind the recording equipment they had then the sound is just great.
Why they did not do do a live album is beyond me. I think they developed a special Mike for her so she could dance and sing at the same time.

Likes DennisN
pinball1970 said:
I have read stories of the fact management had to practically drag her from behind the kit to front the band to sing.
They say Karen Carpenter wasn't interested in singing and didn't practice. And some say there is no such thing as talent...

Kate Bush invented the modern pop music show focused on dance and costumes. It has taken over the world. First to use a head-mounted microphone. Once I was watching the Hammersmith show and someone said, "She's copying Madonna," Nope, 1979, it's the other way around.

Kate would never board an airplane and in general didn't like performing. As far as I know it was one tour of western Europe tour and that was it.

I think The Ninth Wave is a work of "pop" music that will endure "forever," though it is too dark to be popular. For the playful Kate I like this. That's her husband on guitar.

The dark Kate:

"I chose to film it in a very handsome old military hospital that was derelict at the time. It was a huge, labyrinthine hospital with incredibly long corridors, which was one reason for choosing it. Florence Nightingale had been involved in the design of the hospital. Not something she is well known for but she actually had a huge impact on hospital design that was pioneering and changed the way hospitals were designed from then on.

The video was an intense project and not a comfortable shoot, as you can imagine - a giant of a building, damp and full of shadows with no lighting or heating but it was like a dream to work with such a talented crew and cast with Dawn French, Hugh Laurie, Peter Vaughn and Richard Vernon in the staring roles. It was a strange and eerie feeling bringing parts of the hospital to life again. Not long after our work there it was converted into luxury apartments. I can imagine that some of those glamorous rooms have uninvited soldiers and nurses dropping by for a cup of tea and a hobnob."

Last edited:
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
Well, Whitney was the only one in the collection who could actually sing. :cool:
Without a doubt she was the prettiest.

Likes Klystron and fresh_42
sysprog said:
Without a doubt she was the prettiest.
Michael Jackson. It wasn't an accident that he made the best selling album of all time with 70 million copies. That's 1% of Earth's population. Though his face was like blackjack. Say "hit me" one time too many and you go bust.

Hornbein said:
Michael Jackson. It wasn't an accident that he made the best selling album of all time with 70 million copies. That's 1% of Earth's population. Though his face was like blackjack. Say "hit me" one time too many and you go bust.

Hornbein said:
They say Karen Carpenter wasn't interested in singing and didn't practice. And some say there is no such thing as talent...

Kate Bush invented the modern pop music show focused on dance and costumes. It has taken over the world. First to use a head-mounted microphone. Once I was watching the Hammersmith show and someone said, "She's copying Madonna," Nope, 1979, it's the other way around.

Kate would never board an airplane and in general didn't like performing. As far as I know it was one tour of western Europe tour and that was it.

I think The Ninth Wave is a work of "pop" music that will endure "forever," though it is too dark to be popular. For the playful Kate I like this. That's her husband on guitar.

The dark Kate:

"I chose to film it in a very handsome old military hospital that was derelict at the time. It was a huge, labyrinthine hospital with incredibly long corridors, which was one reason for choosing it. Florence Nightingale had been involved in the design of the hospital. Not something she is well known for but she actually had a huge impact on hospital design that was pioneering and changed the way hospitals were designed from then on.

The video was an intense project and not a comfortable shoot, as you can imagine - a giant of a building, damp and full of shadows with no lighting or heating but it was like a dream to work with such a talented crew and cast with Dawn French, Hugh Laurie, Peter Vaughn and Richard Vernon in the staring roles. It was a strange and eerie feeling bringing parts of the hospital to life again. Not long after our work there it was converted into luxury apartments. I can imagine that some of those glamorous rooms have uninvited soldiers and nurses dropping by for a cup of tea and a hobnob."

There was a good documentary on her, she preferred drums and was reluctant to sing,.

Imagine hearing that voice in the studio as a producer only to be told, ”I am not that bothered about singing!”

It was very sad what happened to her.

Yes Kate Bush- just pure eccentric crazy talent. She wrote man with Child in his eyes when she was 14 or something!

People go crazy over Adele, Beyonce, Lady Ga Ga, Madonna Pink Riannah and such. Kate Bush is a different league.

Carly Simon, Debbie Harry, Carol King more the type of female artist that impresses me. Good writers players performers, not circus acts in their underwear.

• Informative
Likes Hornbein, Klystron and fresh_42
pinball1970 said:
Carly Simon, Debbie Harry, Carol King more the type of female artist that impresses me. Good writers players performers, not circus acts in their underwear.
Art and entertainment. Two different games.

Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
not circus acts in their underwear
:oldlaugh: A tough but lovely comment. And quite on point in some cases.

Likes pinball1970 and Bystander
DennisN said:
:oldlaugh: A tough but lovely comment. And quite on point.
... why did I have Miley Cirus in mind ...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Klystron and pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
... why did I have Miley Cirus in mind ...
Yes Miley.
I was very surprised to see this.
No outfits, no tongue sticking out or gyrating.
She can actually sing

Last edited by a moderator:
Hornbein said:
Art and entertainment. Two different games.
Yes but not mutually exclusive. Hendrix won the poll and ticked both boxes.
He loved his art and was a pain for producers because he wanted to do tracks over and over.
On stage he just oozed cool. He didn't need the gimmicks because he was so good.
Freddie bless him was the other way round. He struggled like hell on stage, in the studio and writing he was a genius. Trying to sing it live though? No.

Likes Klystron
fresh_42 said:
There are more tragic cases outside 27 besides Buddy Holly. Eva Cassidy (33), Melanie Thornton (34). It's not always drugs and Rock'n'Roll.
Eva Cassidy...omg. She had the voice of an angel

Likes DennisN and fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
Well, Whitney was the only one in the collection who could actually sing. :cool:
Errrrr... Freddy Mercury. If I remember correctly he could actually sing.

Likes sysprog
Back