VOTE Group 2 - Bridge Over Troubled Water

In summary, the conversation is about a contest with a second group of pictures, featuring entries from SpaceElf, turbo-1, FredGarvin, ZapperZ, Dmitri, and Janus. The participants discuss their favorites and remind others to vote before the deadline.

VOTE Group 2 - Bridge Over Troubled Water

• SpaceElf

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • turbo-1

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • FredGarvin

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • ZapperZ

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Dmitri

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Janus

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
The second group of pictures for this contest.

1. SpaceElf
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/1809/bridge1fx6.jpg

2. turbo-1
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8899/wirebridgeos4.jpg

3. FredGarvin
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1117/brindge004smbe4.jpg

4. ZapperZ
pac030056.jpg

5. Dmitri
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/7530/img0608gl8.jpg

6. Janus
hawthorne.jpg

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Had to go with Zapper today. That's one of my favorite bridges. (I'm a fan of well-designed, but blocky industrial things, I don't know why). I miss Portland so much...

I had to go with Janus for the gorgeous colors.

Janus....

Ivan Seeking said:
Janus....
Agreed!

Last edited:
I was torn between Fred and Janus, but Janus took it in the end.

A reminder that you have one day left to vote in the first phase of this contest.

Zz.

Related to VOTE Group 2 - Bridge Over Troubled Water

1. What is the significance of the "Bridge Over Troubled Water" song?

The song "Bridge Over Troubled Water" is significant for several reasons. It was released in 1970 and quickly became a hit, reaching number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It was also awarded two Grammy Awards for Song of the Year and Record of the Year. Additionally, the song's message of support and friendship resonated with listeners and has become an enduring anthem for many.

2. Who wrote the lyrics for "Bridge Over Troubled Water"?

The lyrics for "Bridge Over Troubled Water" were written by American singer-songwriter Paul Simon. He wrote the song as a tribute to his close friend and musical partner, Art Garfunkel. Simon has stated that he wanted to write a song that would be comforting and supportive to Garfunkel during a difficult time in his life.

3. What inspired the creation of "Bridge Over Troubled Water"?

As mentioned earlier, "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was written as a tribute to Art Garfunkel. However, there are also other sources of inspiration for the song. Simon has stated that the gospel song "Mary Don't You Weep" and the piano piece "Chopsticks" were influences for the melody. The phrase "bridge over troubled water" also came from a line in a song by gospel group The Swan Silvertones.

4. What is the meaning behind the lyrics of "Bridge Over Troubled Water"?

The lyrics of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" are open to interpretation, but the overall message is one of support and comfort. The song describes a person offering their strength and support to someone going through a difficult time. It also speaks to the power of friendship and the importance of being there for each other during challenging times.

5. How has "Bridge Over Troubled Water" been used in popular culture?

Since its release, "Bridge Over Troubled Water" has been covered by numerous artists and has been featured in various films, TV shows, and commercials. Notable covers include versions by Aretha Franklin, Elvis Presley, and Johnny Cash. The song has also been used in TV shows such as The Wonder Years and Friends, as well as in films like The Pursuit of Happyness and Forrest Gump.