Volumes of Spheres around a Box

In summary, the conversation is discussing the volume of a set of points that are a distance at most 1 from a solid box with dimensions L, W, and H. The volume is expressed in terms of L, W, and H using the formula LWH + 2LH + 2LW + 2HW + (4/3)pi*r^3, with the addition of quarter cylinder regions along the edges. The correct formula for the volume of a cylinder is pi*r^2*h.
cmdro

Homework Statement

Let B be a solid box with length L, width W, and height H. Let S be the set of all points that are a distance at most 1 from some point of B. Express the volume of S in terms of L,W, and H.

Homework Equations

4/3(pi)r

The Attempt at a Solution

I have gotten to LWH+2LH+2LW+2HW+4/3(pi) and I think I am missing something involving a pi, but I do not know how to get it right. The LHW is the box volume. The 2 times the areas are to compensate for the encasing on all sides. The 4/3(pi) is for the unit sphere made in the corners. Can you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope you mean (4/3)pi*r^3. But that's a good start. You are missing some quarter cylinder regions along the edges.

Sorry. That is what I meant. I'm just bad at typing. I apologize. So the cylinder is given by (pi)(r)(height) correct? r=1. So pi(l) +pi(w) +pi(h)?

The cylinder is pi*r^2*h. You keep getting the exponent of r wrong. Since r=1 it doesn't show up in the answer, but yes, I think that's correct.

Thank you sooooo much! And sorry. I am trying to type fast and keep forgetting. I write them down right, but type them wrong. But thanks for correcting me, making sure I'm right! Thanks!

Related to Volumes of Spheres around a Box

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a sphere around a box?

The formula for calculating the volume of a sphere around a box is (4/3)πr³, where r is the radius of the sphere.

How do I find the radius of a sphere around a box?

The radius of a sphere around a box can be found by dividing the length of the box by 2 and then subtracting the radius of the box from the result.

What is the relationship between the volume of a sphere around a box and the volume of the box?

The volume of a sphere around a box is always greater than the volume of the box itself, as the sphere occupies more space.

Can the volume of a sphere around a box be greater than the volume of the box?

Yes, the volume of a sphere around a box can be greater than the volume of the box, as the sphere adds extra volume on top of the box.

How can I use the volume of a sphere around a box in real life?

The volume of a sphere around a box can be useful in various applications, such as calculating the volume of a container or finding the amount of space needed for packing items in a box.