Volumes of Solids of Revolution using Shells

In summary, my final is tomorrow and my instructor gave a list of questions that will be similar to the ones on the final exam and i want to see how they should be done properly. I've been working on other problems but i can't get past these ones. thanks.
ineedhelpnow
my final is tomorrow and my instructor gave a list of questions that will be similar to the ones on the final exam and i want to see how they should be done properly. I've been working on other problems but i can't get past these ones. thanks

determine the volume using the shell method $y=5|x|$ about $y=5$ about the x-axis.

determine the volume using the shell method about the y-axis. $y=x^2$, $y=3+2x$, for $x \ge 0$

can you please show me how to do them step by step?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's look at the first one...here is a plot of the region to be revolved:

View attachment 2878

Now, let's compute the volume of an arbitrary shell...given by:

\(\displaystyle dV=2\pi rh\,dy\)

We need to express $r$ and $h$ in terms of $y$. What would you say these are?

Attachments

• helpnow01.png
    helpnow01.png
    5 KB · Views: 75
im not sure. is the height 5|x|-5? or something like that?

$h$ runs between two different curves:

$y = 5x$ and

$y = -5x$

Since we are integrating with respect to $y$, we are going to want to express $x$ as a function of $y$ (we need to split the function:

$y = 5|x|$ into it's two "parts" because it's not one-to-one).

Thus we have two functions:

$x = f_1(y) = -\dfrac{y}{5}$, and:

$x = f_2(y) = \dfrac{y}{5}$.

Our distance $h$ is going to be $\sqrt{(x_2-x_1)^2 - (y_2-y_1)^2}$

where $x_2 = f_2(y_2)$ and $x_1 = f_1(y_1)$.

Since $h$ lies on the horizontal line going through $(0,y)$ we're going to have $y_2 = y_1$

so the $(y_2 - y_1)^2$ part of our distance formula is just going to be 0.

That means we just need to calculate $|x_2 - x_1|$, using our two formulas for the $x$'s.

oh i just saw this reply. so the height is $\frac{2y}{5}$?

That's a good start, now what's the radius?

that's the thing. i can figure out the high normally but i also have trouble figuring out the radius.

Look closer at Mark's picture.

5-x?

oh its in terms of y. never mind.

Well, your original problem statement isn't all *that* clear about the axis of rotation, but let's say it's the $x$-axis.

The solid of revolution itself is going to look like a saucer with two shallow conical "hollows" or bores centered in it (in cross-section, it'll look like a bow-tie).

The "typical shell" we are using is the cylinder whose "edge" is the red line marked $h$ in Mark's drawing. Conveniently enough, the distance of this shell from the axis of revolution is ALSO the radius of the cylinder.

We are imagining this cylinder has "infinitesimal thickness" of $dy$. So the VOLUME element is this "tiny thickness" times the surface AREA of the cylinder.

Now the formula for the surface area of a cylinder is: $2\pi rh$.

This means $dV = 2\pi rh\ dy$

Isn't the shell whose outer edge is $y$ units away from the $x$-axis one with a radius of $y$?

Try to imagine this is a drawing of a REAL thing, perhaps something to be machined on a lathe. How would you measure the radius?

sorry i meant AND y=5 not about y=5.

doesnt matter anymore though. already took the test. thanks for the previous posts though Deveno. they were very helpful :)

ineedhelpnow said:
sorry i meant AND y=5 not about y=5.

doesnt matter anymore though. already took the test. thanks for the previous posts though Deveno. they were very helpful :)
Well, I hope you did well. But I'd like to add that taking a course isn't really about the grade you get (it is only human nature to want to do well, of course). It's to acquire the knowledge. And while knowledge for just its own sake is still worthwhile, it's even more meaningful to USE it.

So it always matters. Hopefully, someone somewhere will read this thread, and think to themselves: oh, THAT'S how you do it.

You know, it's not the grade, or even the diploma that matters. It's what sticks. The only thing any of us here at MHB do is try to help that happen. When you KNOW a subject, when you own it, like knowing how to ride a bicycle, it's yours forever. Such things are precious beyond measure, and hard to quantify objectively.

Last edited:
Deveno said:
Well, I hope you did well. But I'd like to add that taking a course isn't really about the grade you get (it is only human nature to want to do well, of course). It's to acquire the knowledge. And while knowledge for just its own sake is still worthwhile, it's even more meaningful to USE it.

So it always matters. Hopefully, someone somewhere will read this thread, and think to themselves: oh, THAT'S how you do it.

You know, it's not the grade, or even the diploma that matters. It's what sticks. The only thing any of us here at MHB is try to help that happen. When you KNOW a subject, when you own it, like knowing how to ride a bicycle, it's yours forever. Such things are precious beyond measure, and hard to quantify objectively.

I think I've acquired knowledge and hopefully I am prepared for calculus 3 next semester. thanks

Related to Volumes of Solids of Revolution using Shells

1. What is a solid of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional shape that is created by rotating a two-dimensional shape, such as a rectangle or a circle, around an axis. This results in a shape that is symmetrical about the axis of rotation.

2. How do you find the volume of a solid of revolution using shells?

To find the volume of a solid of revolution using shells, you first need to determine the range of the function that is being rotated. Then, you can use the formula V = 2π∫(radius)(height)dx to calculate the volume, where the radius is the distance from the axis of rotation to the function and the height is the thickness of the shell.

3. What is the difference between using shells and discs to find the volume of a solid of revolution?

The main difference between using shells and discs to find the volume of a solid of revolution is the shape of the cross section. Shells use cylindrical cross sections, while discs use circular cross sections. In some cases, using shells can be easier and more efficient than using discs.

4. What are the limitations of using shells to find the volume of a solid of revolution?

Using shells to find the volume of a solid of revolution may not always be possible or practical. This method is most effective when the function being rotated is a simple polynomial or trigonometric function. More complex functions may require alternative methods to find the volume.

5. How can I apply the concept of volumes of solids of revolution using shells in real life?

The concept of volumes of solids of revolution using shells is commonly used in engineering and architecture to calculate the volume of objects with rotational symmetry, such as pipes and cylinders. It can also be used in physics to determine the moment of inertia of objects with rotational symmetry.