Volumes of Revolution - Ellipsoid

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a solid formed by rotating an ellipse around the y-axis. The volume can be calculated using the formula V = 4/3*pi*a*b^2, but the difficulty lies in determining the limits of the integral. By rearranging the ellipse equation, the upper and lower bounds can be determined as ±b. Once the equation for x^2 in terms of y^2 is found, it can be substituted into the integral and solved to find the volume.
Noir

Homework Statement

An ellipse is rotated around the y-axis, find the volume of this solid.

Homework Equations

x^2 / a^2 + y^2 / b^2 = 1
[tex]
\pi\int_{a}^-a x^2 dy
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble solving this; I know that the upper and lower bounds of the curve occur on the y-axis so I think that the ellipse equation can be rearranged to form;
x^2 / a^2 + 0 = 1
Thats where the upper and lower bounds for the integral come from.
However I know that the volume of an ellipsoid is V = 4/3*pi*a*b^2.
I just can't seem to get it to work.

Any help is appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't your limits be ±b ?

[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1 \Rightarrow \frac{x^2}{a^2}=1-\frac{y^2}{b^2}[/tex]

find x2 in terms of y2, then put that into π∫x2 dy from b to -b and calculate.

Related to Volumes of Revolution - Ellipsoid

1. What is a volume of revolution for an ellipsoid?

A volume of revolution for an ellipsoid is the measure of the space enclosed by rotating a two-dimensional ellipse around one of its axes to create a three-dimensional solid object.

2. How is the volume of an ellipsoid calculated?

The volume of an ellipsoid can be calculated using the formula V = 4/3 * π * a * b * c, where a, b, and c are the semi-major axes of the ellipsoid.

3. Can the volume of an ellipsoid be negative?

No, the volume of an ellipsoid cannot be negative. It is always a positive value representing the amount of space enclosed by the ellipsoid.

4. How does the volume of an ellipsoid differ from other shapes?

The volume of an ellipsoid differs from other shapes because it is a three-dimensional object with varying radii along each axis, unlike a sphere which has the same radius along all axes. This makes the calculation of its volume more complex.

5. What are some real-world applications of volumes of revolution for ellipsoids?

Volumes of revolution for ellipsoids have various real-world applications such as calculating the volume of a planet or asteroid, determining the capacity of a storage tank, and designing lenses and mirrors for optical instruments.