Volume under curve z=1-x^2-2y^2

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume under the curve z=1-x^2-2y^2 bounded by the xy plane and the struggle to solve it correctly. One person suggests integrating from 0 to 0.25, while the other suggests integrating from 0 to 1. The correct setup is determined to be 4*integral(0 to 1) (integral(0 to 0.25sqrt(1-x^2)(1-x^2-2y^2) dy)dx =0.564504, but the final answer is not confirmed.
brandy

Homework Statement

z=1-x^2-2y^2
find volume under curve
bounded by the xy plane.
is the answer sheet wrong? (see below)
why am i struggling so much with this?! how do i do it?

Homework Equations

according to other answer sheet, it is pi/sqrt 2

The Attempt at a Solution

i did this, its bound by z=0 and it should be the same in all the upper quadrants so i tried too work out one quadrant and went from there.
4*integral(0 to 0.25) (integral(0 to 1)(1-x^2-2y^2) dx)dy =0.625
although I am wondering if it should be
4*integral(0 to 1) (integral(0 to 0.25sqrt(1-x^2)(1-x^2-2y^2) dy)dx =0.564504

Physics news on Phys.org
brandy said:

Homework Statement

z=1-x^2-2y^2
find volume under curve
bounded by the xy plane.
is the answer sheet wrong? (see below)
why am i struggling so much with this?! how do i do it?

Homework Equations

according to other answer sheet, it is pi/sqrt 2

The Attempt at a Solution

i did this, its bound by z=0 and it should be the same in all the upper quadrants so i tried too work out one quadrant and went from there.
4*integral(0 to 0.25) (integral(0 to 1)(1-x^2-2y^2) dx)dy =0.625
The limits on the inner integral aren't right.
brandy said:
although I am wondering if it should be
4*integral(0 to 1) (integral(0 to 0.25sqrt(1-x^2)(1-x^2-2y^2) dy)dx =0.564504
This setup looks right, but I haven't carried out the integration, so can't confirm that your answer is correct.

It would help after 150 posts if people made the effort to put at least some parts of it into latex.

I agree.

brandy, here is your second integral using LaTeX. Right-click the integral to see my LaTeX script.

$$4\int_{x = 0}^1\int_{y = 0}^{.25\sqrt{1 - x^2}}1 - x^2 - y^2~dy~dx$$

Related to Volume under curve z=1-x^2-2y^2

What is the equation for the volume under the curve z=1-x^2-2y^2?

The equation for the volume under the curve z=1-x^2-2y^2 is a three-dimensional representation of the function z=1-x^2-2y^2. This means that for every x and y value, there is a corresponding z value which creates a curved surface in the shape of a parabola.

What is the significance of z=1-x^2-2y^2 in mathematics?

The equation z=1-x^2-2y^2 is a commonly used function in mathematics, particularly in the study of multivariable calculus and three-dimensional geometry. It represents a curved surface that can be used to model various real-world scenarios, such as the shape of a hill or the surface of a lake.

How is the volume under the curve z=1-x^2-2y^2 calculated?

The volume under the curve z=1-x^2-2y^2 can be calculated using multivariable calculus techniques, specifically by integrating the function over a specified region in the x-y plane. This involves breaking the region into small segments and adding up the volume of each segment to find the total volume under the curve.

What is the relationship between the volume under the curve z=1-x^2-2y^2 and the surface area?

The volume under the curve z=1-x^2-2y^2 is directly related to the surface area of the curve. As the surface area increases, so does the volume under the curve. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of the function and its applications.

How is the volume under the curve z=1-x^2-2y^2 used in real-world applications?

The volume under the curve z=1-x^2-2y^2 has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to model the shape of objects, calculate the volume of liquids, and analyze the behavior of complex systems. It is also used in computer graphics to create 3D models and animations.