Volume Rate of Change: Understanding Math

In summary, the conversation discusses the correctness of the results for part a) and clarifies a mistake in the evaluation for part b). It also mentions that the rate of change of volume, \frac{dV}{dt}, is proportional to the square of the radius, rather than increasing exponentially.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
View attachment 1561

on b) I think this is the point they wanted us to get
hope answers are correct its an even problem # so no ans in bk.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: volume rate of change

Your results for part a) are correct. :D

In your working, where you evaluate \(\displaystyle \frac{dV}{dt}\) for the given values of $r$, you should have replaced \(\displaystyle \frac{dr}{dt}\) with \(\displaystyle 3\,\frac{\text{in}}{\text{min}}\) instead of \(\displaystyle 3\text{ in}\). Also, I think what they are looking for in part b) is that \(\displaystyle \frac{dV}{dt}\) is proportional to the square of $r$. Thus it changes quadratically, not exponentially.

Related to Volume Rate of Change: Understanding Math

What is volume rate of change?

Volume rate of change is a mathematical concept that measures the speed at which the volume of a shape or object is changing. It is often used in calculus to calculate the rate at which a three-dimensional object's volume is increasing or decreasing over time.

How is volume rate of change calculated?

Volume rate of change is calculated by taking the derivative of the volume function with respect to time. This can be represented by the formula V'(t), where V is the volume function and t is time. This derivative will give you the instantaneous rate of change of volume at a specific time.

Why is understanding volume rate of change important?

Understanding volume rate of change is important because it allows us to analyze and predict how the volume of an object will change over time. This is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some real-life applications of volume rate of change?

Volume rate of change has many real-life applications, such as predicting the rate at which a balloon will fill up with air, calculating the flow rate of a liquid in a container, and determining the rate at which a population is growing or shrinking.

How can I improve my understanding of volume rate of change?

To improve your understanding of volume rate of change, it is important to practice solving problems and applying the concept to real-life situations. You can also seek help from a math tutor or attend online lectures and tutorials. Additionally, understanding the fundamentals of calculus and the concept of derivatives will also aid in understanding volume rate of change.