Volume of the solid of revolution

In summary, the volume of the solid of revolution obtained when the region under the graph of f(x) = (1/x)e^(1/x) from x = 1 to x = 6 is given by the definite integral \pi \int_1^6 (x)^{-2} \times e^\frac{2}{x} dx, which can be simplified using substitution to find the final value.
benedwards2020
Find the volume of the solid of revolution obtained when the region under the graph of

[tex]f(x) = \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) e^\frac{1}{x} [/tex]

from x = 1 to x = 6

Homework Equations

[tex] \pi \int (f(x))^2 dx [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, the equation I gave above should be that of a definite integral with a=1 and b=6 (If anyone can tell me how to write that in Latex it would be much appreciated)

So, the volume is

[tex]\pi \int_1^6 \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) \left( e^\frac{1}{x} \right)^2 dx[/tex]

So, we can simplyfy this to

[tex]\pi \int_1^6 (x)^{-2} \times e^\frac{2}{x} dx[/tex]

Now I'm a bit stuck as to where to go from here. Do I use the integration by parts method? I think I'm getting bogged down in unnecessary calculations. Can someone give me a hint or point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try setting u = 1/x or something like that.

benedwards2020 said:
Find the volume of the solid of revolution obtained when the region under the graph of

[tex]f(x) = \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) e^\frac{1}{x} [/tex]
?? You didn't finish your sentence! Between what limits? Rotated around what axis?

Homework Equations

[tex] \pi \int (f(x))^2 dx [/tex]
So you are rotating around the x-axis?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, the equation I gave above should be that of a definite integral with a=1 and b=6 (If anyone can tell me how to write that in Latex it would be much appreciated)
And only the region between x= 1 and x= 6?

So, the volume is

[tex]\pi \int \left( \frac{1}{x} \right) \left( e^\frac{1}{x} \right)^2 dx[/tex]
No, If [itex]f(x)= \frac{1}{x}e^{1/x}[/itex] then both [itex]f^2(x)= \frac{1}{x^2}e^{2/x}[/itex]

With the values a=1 and b=6

So, we can simplyfy this to

[tex]\pi \int (x)^{-2} \times e^\frac{2}{x} dx[/tex]
Okay, good. Now you have first x squared also. By the way, the code to put the limits of integration in is "\int_1^6". In other words, treat the lower limit as a subscript and the upper limit as a superscript on the integral sign.

Now I'm a bit stuck as to where to go from here. Do I use the integration by parts method? I think I'm getting bogged down in unnecessary calculations. Can someone give me a hint or point me in the right direction?
Looks to me like the substitution u= 2/x should work nicely.

Many thanks for your time and help... I've managed to solve using substitution as you suggested.

Last edited:

Related to Volume of the solid of revolution

What is the definition of "Volume of the solid of revolution"?

The volume of the solid of revolution is the measure of the space occupied by a three-dimensional object obtained by rotating a two-dimensional shape about an axis.

How is the volume of the solid of revolution calculated?

The volume of the solid of revolution can be calculated using the formula V = π∫a^b R^2(x) dx, where a and b represent the limits of integration, and R(x) is the radius of the shape at each point along the axis of rotation.

What is the significance of the axis of rotation in calculating the volume of the solid of revolution?

The axis of rotation is the line or point around which the two-dimensional shape is rotated to form a three-dimensional object. The distance of the shape from the axis of rotation at each point determines the volume of the solid of revolution.

What are some common examples of objects where the volume of the solid of revolution is used?

The volume of the solid of revolution is commonly used in calculating the volume of objects such as cylinders, cones, spheres, and tori. It is also used in engineering and physics to determine the volume of objects with unique shapes.

How is the concept of "Volume of the solid of revolution" applied in real life?

The concept of volume of the solid of revolution is applied in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics. It is used to calculate the volume of objects with complex shapes, such as automobile engines, water tanks, and buildings. It is also used in manufacturing processes to create objects with specific volumes.