Volume of solids rotating about two axises

In summary, the region is revolved about the x-axis and the y-axis to get two different solids of revolution. The region has a lower boundary at y=0, and the two shapes that are produced are a disk and a shell. The region is revolved about the x-axis to get a football-like shape and the region is revolved about the y-axis to get the upper half of a bagel-like shape.
PirateFan308

Homework Statement

Find the volumes of the solids revolution obtained by rotating the region about the x-axis and the y-axis.

[itex]y=2x-x^2, y=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to get the volume of a function that is rotating around one axis, but the "y=0" is confusing me. Because [itex]y=2x-x^2[/itex] is a parabola (with a max at (1,1)), so when I picture it, it looks like a squished donut (with the hole having no area), where a cross sectional area of the donut is shaped like a football with the area being 4/3 (integral of [itex]f(x)=2x-x^2[/itex] from 0 to 2). The outer radius will be 2 and the inner radius will be 0.

Is this correct, or am I completely off track? Also, what does the y=0 mean? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
PirateFan308 said:

Homework Statement

Find the volumes of the solids revolution obtained by rotating the region about the x-axis and the y-axis.

[itex]y=2x-x^2, y=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to get the volume of a function that is rotating around one axis, but the "y=0" is confusing me. Because [itex]y=2x-x^2[/itex] is a parabola (with a max at (1,1)), so when I picture it, it looks like a squished donut (with the hole having no area), where a cross sectional area of the donut is shaped like a football with the area being 4/3 (integral of [itex]f(x)=2x-x^2[/itex] from 0 to 2). The outer radius will be 2 and the inner radius will be 0.

Is this correct, or am I completely off track? Also, what does the y=0 mean? Thanks

y=0 is the lower boundary of the region.

As I read it, this is actually two problems: 1) Find the volume when the region is revolved around the x-axis. 2) Find the volume when the region is revolved around the y-axis.

Also, you should sketch each of the solids of revolution. When you revolve the region around the x-axis, you get something that looks a little like a football. When you revolve the region around the y-axis, you get something like the upper half of a bagel (what you described as a squished donut).

For the two shapes, you'll need to choose what your typical volume element is - either a disk or a shell. In neither case is the outer radius fixed.

Thanks!

Related to Volume of solids rotating about two axises

1. What is meant by "volume of solids rotating about two axes?"

The volume of a solid rotating about two axes refers to the amount of space occupied by the solid when it is rotated around two different axes. This is commonly calculated using the method of cylindrical shells or the method of washers in calculus.

2. How is the volume of solids rotating about two axes calculated?

The volume of solids rotating about two axes is calculated using the integral formula: V = ∫(2πx)f(x)dx, where x represents the distance from the axis of rotation and f(x) represents the function that forms the shape of the solid. This formula can be applied to both the method of cylindrical shells and the method of washers.

3. What is the difference between the method of cylindrical shells and the method of washers?

The method of cylindrical shells involves finding the volume of a solid by integrating the surface area of a cylinder with a radius equal to the distance from the axis of rotation. The method of washers, on the other hand, involves finding the volume by integrating the difference in areas between two circles with different radii.

4. What types of solids can be calculated using the volume of solids rotating about two axes?

The volume of solids rotating about two axes can be calculated for a wide range of shapes, such as cones, spheres, paraboloids, and more complex shapes. As long as the shape can be represented by a function, the methods of cylindrical shells and washers can be applied to find the volume.

5. Are there any real-world applications of calculating the volume of solids rotating about two axes?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of calculating the volume of solids rotating about two axes. For example, this concept is used in engineering to design and analyze cylindrical and spherical structures such as pipelines, tanks, and pressure vessels. It is also used in physics to calculate the moment of inertia of rotating objects.