Volume of Solid: Calculating Y=2-X^2 Rotated about Y=1

In summary, the OP is trying to solve a problem involving rotating a closed area to generate a solid volume. They are not sure how to start, and need help from someone who can explain the process.
aurao2003

Homework Statement

hi
i can't seem to make head or tail of this question. here it goes;

find the volume of the solid generated by rotating the area enclosed by the curve y= 2-x^2 and the line y = 1, about y=1.

i am not sure how to start. can someone please explain?

thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
aurao2003 said:

Homework Statement

hi
i can't seem to make head or tail of this question. here it goes;

find the volume of the solid generated by rotating the area enclosed by the curve y= 2-x^2 and the line y = 1, about y=1.

i am not sure how to start. can someone please explain?

thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Start by drawing the x-y graph that shows both of those lines. Then picture how the parabolic curve can form a solid 3-d volume when rotated about the line y=1.

BTW, this looks more like a calculus problem than pre-calculus... Do you want me to move this thread to Calculus & Beyond?

I would use a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates.

the area of integration is the area enclosed by y = 2 - x2 and the line y = 1

the line y = 1 is going to become our new z-axis and the new equation for the surface in this translated coordinate system is

<< equation deleted by berkeman >>

the latex interpreter is glitching right now so I'll post my solution later.

Last edited by a moderator:
{~} said:
I would use a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates.

the area of integration is the area enclosed by y = 2 - x2 and the line y = 1

the line y = 1 is going to become our new z-axis and the new equation for the surface in this translated coordinate system is

<< equation deleted by berkeman >>

the latex interpreter is glitching right now so I'll post my solution later.

No, you will not post your solution later. The original poster (OP) must do the bulk of the work -- that is in the PF Rules (see the link at the top of the page).

I've deleted the equation that you wrote -- it did too much of the OP's work for them. Let them make the next post to show us their work. After that, you can provide hints, ask probing questions, correct mistakes, etc. But please do not do the student's work for them. Thanks.

its okay to move it.

Sorry I just thought that if the poster was didn't realize this was a calculus problem they probably wouldn't figure out the integral on their own.

It took me years to get a handle on integrals and I did that mostly be seeing others work.

Wolfram Alpha is a great resource as well.

aurora your next step is to figure out the boundaries of integration

{~} said:
aurora your next step is to figure out the boundaries of integration

Exactly she/he has everything they need, it just takes working out a limit that says that x is between a and b when y is ?

Basic laws of spheres or shapes and pi therefore.

The equation can be transformed into something that has only one answer.

Integrate between limits. Is that giving away too much?

Last edited:
Calrik said:
Integrate between limits. Is that giving away too much?

No, those kind of hints are fine. Let's see what the OP comes back with...

berkeman said:
No, those kind of hints are fine. Let's see what the OP comes back with...

Thanks berk. Just feeling my way.

apologies for any replies. in crazy exam mode. 8 papers in january! i will reply soonest. thanks for the hints.

Related to Volume of Solid: Calculating Y=2-X^2 Rotated about Y=1

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a solid rotated about a specific axis?

The formula for calculating the volume of a solid rotated about a specific axis is ∫abπ(R(x))^2dx, where R(x) is the distance from the axis of rotation to the cross-sectional area at x, and a and b are the limits of integration.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for calculating the volume of a solid rotated about a specific axis?

The limits of integration can be determined by finding the points of intersection between the solid and the axis of rotation. These points will serve as the boundaries for the integral.

3. Can the volume of a solid be calculated if the axis of rotation is not parallel to one of the coordinate axes?

Yes, the volume of a solid can still be calculated if the axis of rotation is not parallel to one of the coordinate axes. In this case, the formula for calculating the volume becomes more complex and may involve using trigonometric functions.

4. How do you handle negative values when calculating the volume of a solid rotated about an axis?

Negative values can be handled by taking the absolute value of the function representing the cross-sectional area. This ensures that the volume is calculated correctly and avoids any discrepancies caused by negative values.

5. Are there any applications of calculating the volume of a solid rotated about an axis in real life?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of calculating the volume of a solid rotated about an axis, such as finding the volume of a water tower, determining the volume of a cylindrical storage tank, or calculating the volume of a propeller for a boat or airplane.