Volume of Solid Between Curves: Region, Sketch, and Solution

In summary: In this case, since the problem does not specify, either orientation is possible. However, the sketch should show the orientation and the solution should specify which orientation is used.In summary, the task at hand is to find the volume of a solid obtained by rotating a region bounded by given curves around a specified line. A sketch of the region, solid, and a typical disk or washer should also be provided. When working on the problem, it is important to correctly identify the line of rotation and the orientation of the disks or washers. Additionally, submitting one problem at a time may yield better results in receiving help. In problem #4, the last three equations (y = 0, x = 2, x = 4) are
phillyolly

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line. Sketch the region, the solid, and a typical disk or washer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sometimes, I struggled with drawing a solid and a typical disc. Also, I am unsure with the solution for problem 4. Do you see any mistakes?

I would so much appreciate your help.

Attachments

• PF.doc
    203.5 KB · Views: 282
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a rare time when no one replied. Sad.

You'll probably do better submitting one problem at a time.

The first couple of problems are missing some information - namely, the line around which the region is rotated. For example, in #2, you have the region bounded by y = 1 - x2 and y = 0, but you didn't say what this region is rotated around.

It's probably rotated around y = 0, especially since the problem mentions "disk and washer."

I'm guessing the cylinder shape you drew was supposed to be a typical disk/washer the problem asked for, but that's not what you want. When the region is rotated around a horizontal line, disks and washers will be vertical, between the axis of revolution and the function for disks or between the two given functions for washers.

On #4, what are the last three equations for?
y = 0, x = 2, x = 4

Bohrok said:
It's probably rotated around y = 0, especially since the problem mentions "disk and washer."
Disks and washers can be oriented either vertically or horizontally.

Related to Volume of Solid Between Curves: Region, Sketch, and Solution

1. What is the purpose of asking someone to "check my work"?

Asking someone to "check my work" is a common practice in the scientific community to ensure accuracy and validity of research or experiments. It allows for a fresh set of eyes to review the work and potentially catch any errors or oversights that may have been missed by the original researcher.

2. Who should I ask to "check my work"?

It is recommended to ask someone who is knowledgeable in the specific field of study or research to "check my work". This could be a fellow scientist, mentor, or peer who has expertise in the subject matter and can provide valuable feedback.

3. How much time should I give someone to "check my work"?

The amount of time needed to "check my work" can vary depending on the complexity of the research or experiment. It is important to give the person enough time to thoroughly review the work and provide feedback, but also to set a reasonable deadline to ensure the project stays on track.

4. Should I provide any specific instructions when asking someone to "check my work"?

It is helpful to provide some guidance or specific areas of focus when asking someone to "check my work". This can include any specific concerns or questions the researcher may have, as well as any specific formatting or style guidelines that need to be followed.

5. Is it okay to ask multiple people to "check my work"?

Yes, it is common and encouraged to ask for feedback from multiple sources when asking someone to "check my work". This can provide a well-rounded review and help to catch any potential errors or oversights.