Volume of revolution problem. Tricky

In summary: So where did I mess up?Sorry, I see what I did wrong now! I forgot the extra ##2 \pi## when integrating via cylindrical shells!So I agree, the answer is $$V = \frac{16 \pi}{7}$$In summary, the question asks to find the volume of a solid rotated about the y=-1 axis. The equations needed are ∫R^2-r^2dx and the disk method. The attempt at a solution uses the equation Pi∫(x^3+1)dx and integrates from -1 to 1, with the answer being (16/7)
nick.martinez

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid rotated about the given axis

Homework Equations

∫R^2-r^2dx
Disk method

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble finding the limits of integration: here's my setup
Pi∫(x^3+1)dx and integrated from -1 to 1. I got this by setting y=-1 equal to y=x^3
X^3=-1=-1

Then I get (16/7)pi which I believe is the right answer so can anyone tell me whether my method is correct. I'm using the disk method here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pls give a full statement of the actual problem.

Y=x^3 ; y=-1 x=1 ; axis; y=-1

nick.martinez said:
Then I get (16/7)pi which I believe is the right answer so can anyone tell me whether my method is correct.
As you show no working, don't include a diagram, and haven't adequately related the question, it is not possible to know what your method is. Nevertheless, after some faltering attempts at telepathy, a bit of guesswork and reading between the lines, I too arrived at an answer of 16Pi/7. :approve:

But of course, that is for my question, and as yet we have no way of knowing whether my question is similar to yours.

I'm using the disk method here.
No one can fault you on that.

nick.martinez said:
Y=x^3 ; y=-1 x=1 ; axis; y=-1

This is meaningless. What axis? Do you mean that you want the region bounded by y = -1, y = x^3 , x = 1 and some axis? Please state the problem properly.

Ray Vickson said:
This is meaningless. What axis? Do you mean that you want the region bounded by y = -1, y = x^3 , x = 1 and some axis? Please state the problem properly.

Yes ray vickson those are the bounds and it is being rotated about the y=-1. It would be appreciated.

nick.martinez said:
Yes ray vickson those are the bounds and it is being rotated about the y=-1. It would be appreciated.

I also get V = 16π/7.

nick.martinez,
From looking at this post, it appears because of the initial ambiguity in the problem statement that I misinterpreted what the region was when I replied in the other thread. I too get 16pi/7 and there is no inner radius here because the region required extends all the way to the line of rotation.

On second thoughts, I don't think I do get ##16 \pi/7##. See the following: via the disk method, the radius of a disk is ##(1 + x^3)## hence this gives a volume of $$V = \pi \int_0^1 (1 + x^3)^2\,dx = \frac{23\pi}{14}$$ ##x## varying from 0 to 1.

Similarly, via the cylindrical shell method: split whole region into two separate regions, since shells will be of varying height. Then we have $$V = 2\pi \int_{-1}^0 -y dy + 2\pi \int_0^1 (1 + y) (1-y^{1/3})\,dy = \frac{23\pi}{14}$$

Related to Volume of revolution problem. Tricky

What is the volume of revolution problem?

The volume of revolution problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This problem is often encountered in calculus and physics.

What makes the volume of revolution problem tricky?

The volume of revolution problem can be tricky because it requires a combination of geometric understanding and calculus skills. It also often involves dealing with variables and integrals, which can be challenging for some people.

How do you solve the volume of revolution problem?

To solve the volume of revolution problem, you first need to identify the axis of rotation and the two-dimensional shape being rotated. Then, you can use the appropriate formula (such as the disk or shell method) and integrate to find the volume. It is important to set up the integral correctly and use the correct limits of integration.

What are some common mistakes when solving the volume of revolution problem?

Some common mistakes when solving the volume of revolution problem include not identifying the correct axis of rotation, using the wrong formula, and setting up the integral incorrectly. It is also important to pay attention to units and to make sure all calculations are accurate.

What real-world applications does the volume of revolution problem have?

The volume of revolution problem has many real-world applications, including in engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, it can be used to find the volume of a water tank, the amount of paint needed to cover a curved surface, or the moment of inertia of a rotating object.