Volume of Revolution Problem: Finding the Volume of a Solid of Revolution

In summary, the volume created by revolving y=x^2 +x - 2 and y=0 about the x axis can be found by setting up the integral -\pi \int_{-1}^1 (x^2 + x - 2)^2 dx and integrating it to get a result of 81\pi/10. There may have been an error in setting up the integral, which could be corrected to get the desired result.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Find the volume created by revolving:
[tex] y=x^2 +x - 2 [/tex]

and y=0 about the x axis.

[tex] y=x^2 +x - 2 [/tex] intersects the x-axis at -1 and 1 so those are the bounds of integration.

the radius of the figure = -([tex] y=x^2 +x - 2 [/tex])

so:

V = [tex] - \pi \int_{-1}^1 (x^2 + x - 2)^2 dx [/tex]

After integrating that I get 18[tex]\pi[/tex]/5. The actual answer is 81[tex]\pi[/tex]/10. What I want to know is if i set the integral up right. If I did then this is only a stupid integration mistake. If not then I hope someone finds my mistake. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
G01 said:
[tex] y=x^2 +x - 2 [/tex] intersects the x-axis at -1 and 1 so those are the bounds of integration.
You may want to check that again :smile:
Fix this, and you'll find the given answer.

Related to Volume of Revolution Problem: Finding the Volume of a Solid of Revolution

1. What is the volume of revolution problem?

The volume of revolution problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the volume of a 3-dimensional object created by rotating a 2-dimensional shape around an axis. This axis can be either the x-axis, y-axis, or any other line on the coordinate plane.

2. How do you find the volume of revolution?

To find the volume of revolution, you need to first determine the equation of the 2-dimensional shape being rotated. Then, you can use the disk or shell method to integrate the cross-sectional area of the shape along the axis of rotation. The resulting integral will give you the volume of the 3-dimensional object.

3. What is the difference between the disk and shell method?

The disk method involves slicing the 3-dimensional object into thin disks perpendicular to the axis of rotation and integrating their cross-sectional areas. The shell method, on the other hand, involves slicing the object into thin cylindrical shells parallel to the axis of rotation and integrating their circumferences.

4. Can the volume of revolution problem be used in real-life applications?

Yes, the volume of revolution problem has many practical applications, such as in engineering, physics, and architecture. For example, it can be used to calculate the volume of liquid in a cylindrical tank or the volume of a 3-dimensional object created by rotating a 2-dimensional cross-section of a building.

5. Are there any special cases in the volume of revolution problem?

Yes, there are a few special cases in the volume of revolution problem. One is when the 2-dimensional shape being rotated is a circle, in which case the volume can be calculated using the formula V = πr²h, where r is the radius and h is the height of the object. Another special case is when the axis of rotation is the line y = x, which requires using the method of cylindrical shells instead of the disk method.