Volume of Revolution Problem: Calculating the Total Volume of a Haystack

In summary: You are correct. I think have got it, but don't get the right answer, what am I doing wrong?You are missing a negative sign in front of the first term. This would make the equation=-z^2/4.
tweety1234

Homework Statement

The height of an (axially symmetric) pipe z as a function of the distance from the axis of symmetry is [tex] z = 2-2x^{2} [/tex] , where both z and x are measured in metres, and where [tex] 0 \leq z \leq 2 [/tex] and [tex] 0 \leq  x  \leq 1 [/tex] What is the total volume of hay in cubic metres
in the haystack?

The correect answer is [tex] \pi [/tex]

I am told this is a volumes of revolutions problem, how would I go about solving it?

Not sure I know the equation for volumes of revolution is [tex] V = \int^{b}_{a} \pi y^{2} dx [/tex]

Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
solve for x in the z=2-2x^2 , and then you will integrate over dz and z will go from 0 to 2 , and when you do the pi(r^2) the square root will go away and it will be straight forward to integrate and you should get pi.

cragar said:
solve for x in the z=2-2x^2 , and then you will integrate over dz and z will go from 0 to 2 , and when you do the pi(r^2) the square root will go away and it will be straight forward to integrate and you should get pi.

Thank you,

Just got a few questions, why do I have to rearrange for 'x'? Cause at first I thought of simply integrating z = 2 - 2x^{2}, I know z is the height and r is the radius, right?

[tex] \int^{2}_{0} -\sqrt{\frac{z}{2}} + 1 dz [/tex] Is this the expression I am meant to ingrate?

Also not sure what you meant by pir^{2} ? I know the volume of the pipe is going to be that of a cylinder sp, [tex] V = \pi r^{2} h [/tex], Am I meant to use this?

Close.. Try solving for x again.

[tex]x = \sqrt{- \frac{z}{2} + 1}[/tex]

Then, following the formula you provided, try integrating. Remember that this is the radius function, so you'll need to square it. The outcome should be directly integrable.

dmriser said:
Close.. Try solving for x again.

[tex]x = \sqrt{- \frac{z}{2} + 1}[/tex]

Then, following the formula you provided, try integrating. Remember that this is the radius function, so you'll need to square it. The outcome should be directly integrable.

hmm okay, so I have [tex] V = \pi (\sqrt{- \frac{z}{2} + 1})^{2} z [/tex] so is this what I am suppose to integrate? from 2, to 0?

[tex] \int^{2}_{0} \pi (\sqrt{- \frac{z}{2} + 1})^{2} z dz [/tex]

Thakn you

Let's back up from the equations for a moment.

The concept of solids of revolution lies in the fact that the area of a flat disc is

[tex] \pi r^2 [/tex]

When we take a function and use it as a boundary point, we are saying that the radius of out flat disc is equal to some function.

Integrating over

[tex] \pi r^2 [/tex]

using our function as the radius gives us a volume.

So.. pi may be factored out as it's a constant. Leaving the formula.

[tex] \pi \int_{0}^{2} r^2 dr [/tex]

So, the squaring should be applied to the entire function that x is set equal to. Effectively removing the square root and leaving you with something simple to integrate from 0 to 2 that should evaluate to 1.. Which can then be multiplied by pi for your final answer.

Hope this helps

dmriser said:
Let's back up from the equations for a moment.

The concept of solids of revolution lies in the fact that the area of a flat disc is

[tex] \pi r^2 [/tex]

When we take a function and use it as a boundary point, we are saying that the radius of out flat disc is equal to some function.

Integrating over

[tex] \pi r^2 [/tex]

using our function as the radius gives us a volume.

So.. pi may be factored out as it's a constant. Leaving the formula.

[tex] \pi \int_{0}^{2} r^2 dr [/tex]

So, the squaring should be applied to the entire function that x is set equal to. Effectively removing the square root and leaving you with something simple to integrate from 0 to 2 that should evaluate to 1.. Which can then be multiplied by pi for your final answer.

Hope this helps

I think have got it, but don't get the right answer, what am I doing wrong?

[tex] \pi \int^{2}_{0} \frac{z}{2} + 1 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\dz [/tex]

that gives me = [tex] \frac{z^{2}}{4} + z [/tex]

and evaluating that from 2-0 I get 3?

should be -z^2/4 you are missing A NEGATIVE sign in front of the first term.

cragar said:
should be -z^2/4 you are missing A NEGATIVE sign in front of the first term.

oh right, I thought since your squaring a negative expression, it will become positive?

Thank you very much!

Related to Volume of Revolution Problem: Calculating the Total Volume of a Haystack

1. What is a volume of revolution problem?

A volume of revolution problem is a mathematical concept in which a 2-dimensional shape is rotated around an axis to create a 3-dimensional object. The volume of this object can be calculated by using integral calculus.

2. How do you find the volume of a revolution using integration?

To find the volume of a revolution, you must first determine the function that represents the cross-sectional area of the 2-dimensional shape. Then, you can use the formula V = ∫(A(x))^2 dx, where A(x) is the cross-sectional area function and dx is the infinitesimal width of the shape as it is rotated around the axis.

3. Can you give an example of a volume of revolution problem?

One example of a volume of revolution problem is finding the volume of a solid cone by rotating a triangle around its height. The cross-sectional area of the triangle is πr^2, where r is the radius of the base of the cone. By using the volume formula, V = ∫(πr^2)^2 dh, where h is the height of the cone, we can find the volume of the cone.

4. What are some real-life applications of volume of revolution problems?

Volume of revolution problems are commonly used in engineering and architecture to calculate the volume of shapes such as pipes, tanks, and containers. They are also used in physics to calculate the volume of rotating objects, such as planets or stars.

5. Are there any specific techniques for solving volume of revolution problems?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to solve volume of revolution problems. These include the disk method, the shell method, and the washer method. Each method involves different steps and calculations, but they all use the same basic formula of V = ∫(A(x))^2 dx to find the volume.