Volume of Revolution: Find Vol. Bounded by y=6-2x-x2, y=x+6 About x=1

In summary, the author attempted to find the volume of a solid generated by revolving a region about a given line, but failed because the equation for the p(x) did not follow the rules.
Aurin

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by the given graph about the indicated line using any method.

y=6-2x-x2
y=x+6

About the axis x=1

Homework Equations

Shell method:

2*pi * INT[ p(x) * h(x) ] dx

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I attempted latex, even using your beginner's guide, and it showed equations that didn't even look partially like what I input, so forgive me. =(

Second, I attempted the shell method because the disk method would require changing the equations into terms of y, and this seemed simple enough.

I've graphed the equations, and determined the following:

The two lines intersect at (-3,3) and (0,6) so the boundaries are a=-3 and b=0. The region is bound in the second quadrant, thus p(x) is the distance from the y-axis plus the distance of the axis of rotation from the y-axis. h(x) is the smaller equation subtracted from the larger equation.

p(x) = x+1
h(x) = 6-2x-x2 - (x+6) = -3x-x2

2*pi * INT[(x+1)(-3x-x2)]dx Plugged in p(x) and h(x)

2*pi * INT(-x3-4x2-3x)dx FOIL

2*pi * (-x4/4 - 4x3/3 - 3x2/2) from -3 to 0. Integrated

If you plug in 0 you receive 0, thus

2*pi * [-(-81/4 + 108/3 - 27/2)] Carefully substituting -3 into the equation.

2*pi * (81/4 - 108/3 + 27/2) Multiplied the -1

2*pi * (243/12 - 432/12 + 162/12) Found a common denominator

2*pi * (-27/12) Simplified

-9pi/2 Reduced and Simplified more

So my final answer is a negative volume. I've looked at this carefully time and time again, and the result is always negative. I realize this is probably difficult to work with, considering the lack of latex and no visual, but I appreciate any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aurin said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by the given graph about the indicated line using any method.

y=6-2x-x2
y=x+6

About the axis x=1

Homework Equations

Shell method:

2*pi * INT[ p(x) * h(x) ] dx

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I attempted latex, even using your beginner's guide, and it showed equations that didn't even look partially like what I input, so forgive me. =(

Second, I attempted the shell method because the disk method would require changing the equations into terms of y, and this seemed simple enough.

I've graphed the equations, and determined the following:

The two lines intersect at (-3,3) and (0,6) so the boundaries are a=-3 and b=0. The region is bound in the second quadrant, thus p(x) is the distance from the y-axis plus the distance of the axis of rotation from the y-axis. h(x) is the smaller equation subtracted from the larger equation.

p(x) = x+1
The radius, which you are calling p(x), is 1 - x, not x + 1. For example, at the point (-3, 3), the distance to the line x = 1 is 1 - (-3) = 4. Similarly, at the point (0, 6), the distance to the line x = 1 is 1 - 0 = 1.
Aurin said:
h(x) = 6-2x-x2 - (x+6) = -3x-x2

2*pi * INT[(x+1)(-3x-x2)]dx Plugged in p(x) and h(x)

2*pi * INT(-x3-4x2-3x)dx FOIL

2*pi * (-x4/4 - 4x3/3 - 3x2/2) from -3 to 0. Integrated

If you plug in 0 you receive 0, thus

2*pi * [-(-81/4 + 108/3 - 27/2)] Carefully substituting -3 into the equation.

2*pi * (81/4 - 108/3 + 27/2) Multiplied the -1

2*pi * (243/12 - 432/12 + 162/12) Found a common denominator

2*pi * (-27/12) Simplified

-9pi/2 Reduced and Simplified more

So my final answer is a negative volume. I've looked at this carefully time and time again, and the result is always negative. I realize this is probably difficult to work with, considering the lack of latex and no visual, but I appreciate any input.

Oh man.. haha, what a ridiculous mistake.

I had looked at many examples to see if my p(x) followed the rules, and one of them did indeed add 1 to x, so it made so much sense to try it here, but it's not the same case. Negatives are my weakness. =(

Thank you very much!

Related to Volume of Revolution: Find Vol. Bounded by y=6-2x-x2, y=x+6 About x=1

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of revolution?

The formula for finding the volume of revolution is V = π∫ab (f(x))2 dx, where a and b are the limits of integration and f(x) is the function being rotated around the axis of revolution.

2. How do I determine the limits of integration for a volume of revolution problem?

The limits of integration are determined by the points of intersection between the curve and the axis of revolution. In this case, the limits are x=1 and x=6.

3. How do I find the volume bounded by the given equations?

To find the volume bounded by y=6-2x-x2 and y=x+6 about x=1, we first need to solve for the points of intersection between the two equations. Then, we can use the formula V = π∫ab (f(x))2 dx with the limits of integration determined by the points of intersection.

4. Can I use any axis of revolution for a volume of revolution problem?

Yes, you can use any axis of revolution as long as the curve being rotated is perpendicular to the axis. In this case, we are rotating the curve around the vertical line x=1.

5. Is there a specific unit for the volume of revolution?

The volume of revolution is typically measured in cubic units, such as cubic inches or cubic centimeters, depending on the units of the original function.