Volume of revolution and areas

In summary: So when you're given the equation for a solid in the form of y = f(x), you should always sketch out a diagram to show what the solid would look like if rotated about the x-axis and about the y-axis.
Liondancer
I'm having a bit of trouble when it comes to volume of revolutions and areas. I find it quite difficult when it comes to setting up the integral. Could someone explain to me or give me a tutorial on how to set up the equations thanks!

Here are a few examples

The region enclosed by the curves y = x^2 and x = y^2 is rotated about the line y = -2. Find the volume of the resulting solid.

Find the volume of the solid formed by rotating the region enclosed by the curves y=e^(x) + 2, y=0 , x=0, and x=0.1 about the x-axis.

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region enclosed by the curves y=x^2 and x = y^2 about the line x=-1.

The region enclosed by the curves x = 1 - y^4 and x = 0 is rotated about the line x = 4. Find the volume of the resulting solid.

Thanks for all the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Volume and area questions are relatively simple once you come to terms with what's actually going on. I have been working on some tutorials for volume and area problems on my science community website (although it's still very young in development). We plan on developing a very extensive tutorial database but it's going to be a long process.
Click http://www.theoremsociety.com/forums/index.php?showforum=7" for the tutorials page.
Also I would check out homework problems that have been asked here. Volume questions seem to reappear quite often on PF.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the method of rings/disks:
Rotation over vertical line in form of x = f(y)
Rotation over horizontal line in form of y = f(x)
Formula: pi*((outer radius)2 - (inner radius)2)

For the method of cylinders/shells:
Rotation over vertical line in form of y = f(x)
Rotation over horizontal line in for of x = f(y)
Formula: pi*radius*height

Remember to draw diagrams. Keep in mind, when you're given a restriction for x = _ that's a vertical line, and y = _ is a horizontal line.

Related to Volume of revolution and areas

1. What is the volume of revolution?

The volume of revolution is the volume of a three-dimensional solid formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around a fixed axis. It is also known as the solid of revolution.

2. How is the volume of revolution calculated?

The volume of revolution can be calculated using the disk method or the shell method. The disk method involves summing up the volumes of infinitesimal disks, while the shell method involves summing up the volumes of infinitesimal shells.

3. What is the formula for the volume of revolution using the disk method?

The formula for the volume of revolution using the disk method is V = πr2h, where r is the radius of the disk and h is the height of the shape being rotated.

4. How do you find the volume of revolution using the shell method?

The formula for the volume of revolution using the shell method is V = 2πrh, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the shell and h is the height of the shell.

5. Can the volume of revolution be negative?

No, the volume of revolution cannot be negative. It represents the physical space occupied by a solid and must always have a positive value.