Volume of Polar Solids with Cross Sections

In summary: Your Name]In summary, to find the volume of a polar shape with semi-circular cross sections, we need to use the formula for the volume of a solid of revolution and integrate the difference between the outer and inner polar equations squared from 0 to 2π. This will give us the volume of the nautilus shell.
smittytibbs

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the volume of a Polar shape with semi-circular cross sections. Since it is a polar graph, does that mean the cross sections are to be swept across the graph from 0 to 2π in triangular sections?
I'm aiming to create one side of a three dimensional nautilus shell by superimposing these two polar graphs: r(t) = 3 + cos (t/2) and r(t) = 1 + cos (t/2) from [0, 2π].
FullRays.jpg

Could someone help me understand and explain the process involved in finding the volume please?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure it won't work if I just integrate regularly (by integrating the area of the cross section with the radius equaling the outer polar equation minus the inner polar equation). I'm only a junior in calc BC, and i think the concept/math involved is beyond that. I'm making a model, in which the actual volume can be calculated to scale, but i just don't know about the math part.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

I understand your confusion in finding the volume of a polar shape with semi-circular cross sections. Let me explain the process involved in finding the volume.

Firstly, you are correct in assuming that the cross sections will be swept across the graph from 0 to 2π in triangular sections. This means that the cross sections will be in the shape of a triangle, with two sides being the semi-circular arcs and the third side being the radius of the polar graph.

To find the volume, we need to use the formula for the volume of a solid of revolution, which is given by:

V = ∫πr^2dx

In this case, r represents the radius of the polar graph at a particular angle, and dx represents the infinitesimal angle from 0 to 2π.

To apply this formula to your specific problem, you will need to integrate the difference between the outer polar equation (3 + cos (t/2)) and the inner polar equation (1 + cos (t/2)) squared, from 0 to 2π.

So the final integral will be:

V = ∫0^2π(3 + cos (t/2))^2 - (1 + cos (t/2))^2 dt

After integrating and simplifying, you will get the volume of the nautilus shell.

I hope this helps you understand the process involved in finding the volume of a polar shape with semi-circular cross sections. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Volume of Polar Solids with Cross Sections

1. What is the definition of volume when it comes to polar solids with cross sections?

The volume of a polar solid with cross sections is the amount of space that it occupies. This can be thought of as the total amount of material that makes up the solid.

2. How is the volume of a polar solid with cross sections calculated?

The volume of a polar solid with cross sections is calculated by integrating the cross-sectional area of the solid over its entire length. This involves using a double integral in polar coordinates.

3. What are some common examples of polar solids with cross sections?

Some common examples of polar solids with cross sections include cones, cylinders, and spheres. These shapes have circular cross sections that can be easily integrated in polar coordinates.

4. Can the volume of a polar solid with cross sections be calculated using other coordinate systems?

Yes, the volume of a polar solid with cross sections can also be calculated using Cartesian coordinates or cylindrical coordinates. However, using polar coordinates is often simpler and more efficient.

5. Are there any real-world applications for calculating the volume of polar solids with cross sections?

Yes, the volume of polar solids with cross sections is commonly used in engineering and construction, such as calculating the volume of a cone-shaped tank or the amount of material needed to build a cylindrical tower. It is also used in physics and astronomy to calculate the volume of celestial bodies with rotational symmetry.