Volume of Parabolic Cylinder in 1st Octant: 710/3

Calculating the integrals you get$\displaystyle \begin{align*} V = \frac{500}{3} \end{align*}$In summary, the volume of the solid in the first octant bounded by the parabolic cylinder z = 25 − x2 and the plane y = 2 is 500/3. It is calculated by taking the integral of 1 over the region, which is a prism with its cross sections along the y-axis bounded by 0 ≤ y ≤ 2 and vertically by 0 ≤ z ≤ 25 - x^2 and horizontally by 0 ≤ x ≤ 5.
carl123
Find the volume of the solid in the first octant bounded by the parabolic cylinder z = 25 − x2 and the plane y = 2.

I already solved it and got 710/3 as my answer, I just wanted to make sure its the right answer

Physics news on Phys.org
carl123 said:
Find the volume of the solid in the first octant bounded by the parabolic cylinder z = 25 − x2 and the plane y = 2.

I already solved it and got 710/3 as my answer, I just wanted to make sure its the right answer

No, it's not the right answer, I get 500/3.

If you draw out the region you should see a prism, with its cross sections along the y-axis bounded by $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq y \leq 2 \end{align*}$. If you look at each cross section, it is bounded vertically by $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq z \leq 25 - x^2 \end{align*}$ and bounded horizontally by $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq x \leq 5 \end{align*}$. So that means that the volume is calculated using

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} V = \int_0^2{\int_0^5{\int_0^{25 - x^2}{1\,\mathrm{d}z}\,\mathrm{d}x}\,\mathrm{d}y} \end{align*}$

Related to Volume of Parabolic Cylinder in 1st Octant: 710/3

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a parabolic cylinder in the first octant?

The formula for finding the volume of a parabolic cylinder in the first octant is V = (b^2/2)h, where b is the base length and h is the height.

2. How do you find the base length and height of a parabolic cylinder?

The base length of a parabolic cylinder can be found by taking the square root of the given base area. The height of the cylinder can be found by taking the difference between the highest and lowest points of the parabola.

3. Can the volume of a parabolic cylinder in the first octant be negative?

No, the volume of a parabolic cylinder in the first octant cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space and cannot have a negative value.

4. How does the volume of a parabolic cylinder in the first octant compare to other shapes?

The volume of a parabolic cylinder in the first octant is generally smaller than other shapes with the same base area. This is because the curved sides of a parabolic cylinder take up less space than the straight sides of other shapes.

5. Can the volume of a parabolic cylinder in the first octant be calculated if the base area is not given?

No, the volume of a parabolic cylinder in the first octant cannot be calculated without knowing the base area. The base area is a necessary component in the formula for finding the volume of a parabolic cylinder.