Volume of a solid using disks/washers

In summary, this person was trying to find the volume of a solid generated by rotating a region about a line that has the y-axis at a certain angle, and they got stuck because they did not know how to integrate the equation. They found that disk/washer methods were a better solution than cylindrical shells, and they thanked the person who helped them.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid generated by rotating the region enclosed by [itex]y=\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/itex] , x=-1,x=1 and y=0 about the line y=2

Homework Equations

pi(outer radius)^2-pi(inner radius)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since i am rotating around a horizontal line i figured disks/washers would be a better method than cylindrical shells for this problem. First i sketched the graph. It is sort of an upside down parabola enclosed by the x-axis and x=-1 and x=1. For the outer radius I got 2 and for the inner radius I got [itex]2-\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/itex]. Since the limits of integration are -1 and 1 and its a parabola I figured I can use symmetry to make it from 0 to 1 and multiply the whole thing by 2.
Step 1:
[itex]2\pi \int_0^1(2)^2-(2-\frac{1}{1+x^2})^2\,dx[/itex]

Step 2:
[itex]2\pi \int_0^1(4)-(4-\frac{4}{1+x^2}+\frac{1}{(1+x^2)^2})dx[/itex]

Step 3:
[itex]2\pi \int_0^1\frac{4}{1+x^2}-\frac{1}{(1+x^2)^2}dx[/itex]

Step 4:
[itex]2\pi \int_0^1\frac{4(1+x^2)-1}{(1+x^2)^2}dx[/itex]

Step 5:
[itex]2\pi \int_0^1\frac{4x^2}{(1+x^2)^2}dx[/itex]

Here I hit a wall because I am not entirely sure how to integrate this. In fact I am not even sure if I am correct up to this point. I would appreciate it greatly if you guys could point me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
toothpaste666 said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid generated by rotating the region enclosed by [itex]y=\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/itex] , x=-1,x=1 and y=0 about the line y=2

Homework Equations

pi(outer radius)^2-pi(inner radius)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since i am rotating around a horizontal line i figured disks/washers would be a better method than cylindrical shells for this problem. First i sketched the graph. It is sort of an upside down parabola enclosed by the x-axis and x=-1 and x=1. For the outer radius I got 2 and for the inner radius I got [itex]2-\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/itex]. Since the limits of integration are -1 and 1 and its a parabola I figured I can use symmetry to make it from 0 to 1 and multiply the whole thing by 2.
Step 1:
[itex]2\pi \int_0^1(2)^2-(2-\frac{1}{1+x^2})^2\,dx[/itex]

Step 2:
[itex]2\pi \int_0^1(4)-(4-\frac{4}{1+x^2}+\frac{1}{(1+x^2)^2})dx[/itex]

Step 3:
[itex]2\pi \int_0^1\frac{4}{1+x^2}-\frac{1}{(1+x^2)^2}dx[/itex]

Step 4:
[itex]2\pi \int_0^1\frac{4(1+x^2)-1}{(1+x^2)^2}dx[/itex]

Step 5:
[itex]2\pi \int_0^1\frac{4x^2}{(1+x^2)^2}dx[/itex]

Here I hit a wall because I am not entirely sure how to integrate this. In fact I am not even sure if I am correct up to this point. I would appreciate it greatly if you guys could point me in the right direction.
Hello toothpaste666. Welcome to PF !

It's not a parabola, but it is symmetric w.r.t the y-axis.

4(1 + x2) - 1 = 4x2 - 3 ≠ 4x2 .

Thank you! Wow I can't believe I made that mistake thank you for catching me on that. Wouldnt it be 4X^2+3? The rest of it is right so far though? I was a little unsure about my inner and outer radius and limits of integration. If that is the case I have been having trouble finding a method to integrate that. I played around with a couple of substitutions and partial fractions but I didn't make much progress.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do step 4. After step 3, the left hand integral is well-known. For the other, try the same trig substitution that solves the left hand one.

haruspex said:
I wouldn't do step 4. After step 3, the left hand integral is well-known. For the other, try the same trig substitution that solves the left hand one.

Oh i see i should have split the integral. I ended up just making it more complicated. So i should let x = tan(theta) on the integral on the right?

toothpaste666 said:
Oh i see i should have split the integral. I ended up just making it more complicated. So i should let x = tan(theta) on the integral on the right?
That worked for me.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
That worked for me.

I got it. Thank you so much!

Related to Volume of a solid using disks/washers

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid using disks/washers?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid using disks/washers is V = π∫ab(R(x))^2dx, where R(x) is the radius of the solid at a given point x, and a and b are the limits of integration.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for finding the volume of a solid using disks/washers?

The limits of integration for finding the volume of a solid using disks/washers are determined by the boundaries of the solid in the x-direction. These boundaries can be determined by finding the intersections of the solid with the x-axis or by using the given equations of the solid.

3. Can the method of disks/washers be used to find the volume of any solid?

No, the method of disks/washers can only be used to find the volume of solids with circular cross-sections. For solids with other cross-sections, other methods such as the method of shells or cross-sectional areas must be used.

4. What is the difference between disks and washers when finding the volume of a solid?

Disks and washers are both used to approximate the volume of a solid, but the main difference is that disks have a constant radius while washers have a varying radius. Disks are used when the solid has a constant cross-section, while washers are used when the solid has a varying cross-section.

5. Can the method of disks/washers be used for solids with holes or voids?

Yes, the method of disks/washers can still be used for solids with holes or voids. The holes or voids must be accounted for by subtracting the volume of the holes or voids from the total volume calculated using the disks or washers.