Volume of a solid of revolution

In summary, the conversation involved finding the volume of a solid of revolution obtained by rotating a region bounded by two equations about the y-axis. The method of cylindrical shells was used, and the resulting volume was approximately 0.169pi. Verification was requested and provided.
stephencormac
Can anyone confirm if I have done the following work correctly

Find the volume of a solid of revolution obtained by rotating about the y-axis the region bounded by y = the fifth root of x and 2x^2 - 3x + 2.

By drawing the graph, I figured out that I need to use the method of cylindrcal shells given by v = integral from 0.619 to 1 of A(x) dx.

Where A(x) = 2pi(radius)(height)

The intersection points of the equations are approximately x = 1 and x = 0.619

Radius is equal to x.

Height is equal to the difference in the two equations

i.e. (x^(1/5) - 2x^2 + 3x - 2)

Thus we have 2pi(radius)(height)

=2pi*(x)*(x^(1/5) - 2x^2 + 3x - 2)

= 2pi*(x^(6/5) - 2x^3 + 3x^2 - 2x)

Now I will integrate this between 0.619 and 1

= (5/11)x^(11/5) - (1/2)x^4 + x^3 - x^2 ¦ 0.619 to 1
which gives me 2pi*(-0.05 + 0.1345)
=0.169pi approximately.

Can anyone confirm that I have done this correctly

Physics news on Phys.org
Your setup looks OK. Maple gives V := .03140665150*Pi.

Related to Volume of a solid of revolution

What is the definition of "Volume of a solid of revolution"?

The volume of a solid of revolution is the amount of space that is occupied by a three-dimensional figure formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around a fixed axis. This figure is also known as a solid generated by revolution or a surface of revolution.

How is the volume of a solid of revolution calculated?

The volume of a solid of revolution can be calculated using the disk or washer method, where the shape is divided into infinitesimally thin slices and the volume of each slice is calculated and then summed up. The integral of the function representing the cross-sectional area of the shape is used to find the volume.

What are some common shapes used in calculating the volume of a solid of revolution?

Some common shapes used in calculating the volume of a solid of revolution include circles, rectangles, and triangles. Other shapes such as parabolas, ellipses, and hyperbolas can also be used, depending on the shape of the solid being formed.

What are some real-life applications of calculating the volume of a solid of revolution?

The concept of volume of a solid of revolution is applied in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, it is used in calculating the volume of a water tank, a revolving door, or a roller coaster loop. It is also used in designing objects with rotational symmetry, such as vases and bowls.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when calculating the volume of a solid of revolution?

One common mistake to avoid is not properly understanding the shape being rotated and the axis of revolution. It is also important to carefully select the limits of integration and to correctly set up the integral. Another mistake to avoid is forgetting to multiply the result by a factor of pi when using the disk or washer method.