Volume of a Roof: Find Attic and Surface Area

• MHB
  • Thread starter Poly1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, an attic is a triangular prism with a half-pyramid at each end. The roof ridge is the length of the prism, which is independent of the angle.
Poly1
My house has an attic consisting of a horizontal rectangular base of length $2q$ and breadth $2p$ (where $p < q$) and four plane roof sections each at angle length $\theta$ to the horizontal. Show that the length of the roof ridge is independent of $\theta$ and find the volume of the attic and the surface area of the roof.

I'm struggling with this problem mainly because I can't visualize what's going on. Thanks.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The best I can figure, the attic is in the shape of a pyramid having a rectangular base and two pairs of congruent isosceles triangles as the other sides.

However, if the roof ridge is composed of the lines of intersection between the 4 sections of roof, then this certainly is a function of the angle $\theta$.

So, I am just as confused by this problem as you are.(Drunk)

There is a workout for it given in here. I don't understand it though.

Okay, now I understand.

The attic is a triangular prism with a half-pyramid (the whole pyramid with square base) at each end.

The roof ridge R is then the length of the prism, which will be the length minus the breadth:

$\displaystyle R=2q-2p=2(q-p)$

This does not depend upon $\displaystyle \theta$ and so is independent of the angle.

Now, using some trigonometry, can you find the altitude of the ridge above the base? We will need this to find the volume of the attic.

This is what is called a hip roof, which looks like this:
The ends slope at the same angle as the sides. My advice is to draw a front elevation and a side elevation of this building. That should help you to visualise the geometry of the structure. Denote by $h$ the vertical height of the roof ridge above its base. You should be able to see from the side elevation that $h/p = \tan\theta$. Then use the front elevation to see that $R = 2(q-p)$, as MarkFL says.

Attachments

• hip_roof_lr.jpg
    hip_roof_lr.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 33

Related to Volume of a Roof: Find Attic and Surface Area

1. What is the volume of a roof?

The volume of a roof refers to the amount of space inside the roof, which includes the attic and the surface area of the roof. It is measured in cubic feet or cubic meters.

2. How is the volume of a roof calculated?

The volume of a roof can be calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the roof. For example, if a roof is 50 feet long, 30 feet wide, and 20 feet high, the volume would be 50 x 30 x 20 = 30,000 cubic feet.

3. Why is it important to know the volume of a roof?

Knowing the volume of a roof is important for several reasons. It can help determine how much insulation is needed in the attic for energy efficiency, estimate the amount of materials needed for roofing repairs or replacements, and assess the overall structural integrity of the roof.

4. How do you find the volume of the attic space?

The volume of the attic space can be found by measuring the length, width, and height of the attic and then multiplying those numbers together. It is important to also factor in any irregularities or sloped areas of the attic when calculating the volume.

5. Can the volume of a roof change over time?

Yes, the volume of a roof can change over time due to factors such as settling of the foundation, water damage, or additions and renovations to the home. It is important to regularly check and update the volume calculation to ensure accurate measurements.