What is the volume and surface area of a 1-D sphere?

In summary, the volume element for a 1-D sphere would be dx and there is no surface area element as the surface is not continuous.
lostidentity
I'm trying to find the volume and surface area of a 1-D dimensional sphere, i.e. retaining only the radial dependence.

I know that the volume element for a 3-D sphere would be

[tex]dV = r^2\sin\theta{d}\theta{d}\phi{d}r[/tex]

If it's one-dimensional would it just be [tex] dV = r^2{d}r[/tex]? Or would it just be [tex]dr[/tex]?

With regards to the surface area vector in 3-D it is

[tex]d\boldsymbol{A} = r^2\sin\theta{d}\theta{d}\phi\hat{\boldsymbol{e}_r}[/tex]

so in 1-D would it be

[tex]d\boldsymbol{A} = r^2\hat{\boldsymbol{e}_r}[/tex] or would it just be [tex]\hat{\boldsymbol{e}_r}[/tex]?

Essentially what I'm trying to do is a Finite Volume Method for a 1-D sphere and I want to find the surface area vectors, and volume for my Finite Volume Cells.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hi lostidentity! :smile:

perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but if a 3D sphere is an ordinary sphere, then isn't a 2D sphere an ordinary circle, and a 1D sphere a pair of points at positions ± r from the origin?

tiny-tim said:
hi lostidentity! :smile:

perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but if a 3D sphere is an ordinary sphere, then isn't a 2D sphere an ordinary circle, and a 1D sphere a pair of points at positions ± r from the origin?
I think lostidentity is using "sphere" to mean "ball" and "2D sphere" to mean "disk".

If so by "1D sphere" he must an interval which has two points as "surface". In that case, the "volume element" of a "1D sphere" would be just "dx" and there is no "surface area element" since the surface is not continuous.

Related to What is the volume and surface area of a 1-D sphere?

What is an area vector for a 1-D sphere?

An area vector for a 1-D sphere is a vector that represents the direction of the area of a spherical surface. It is perpendicular to the surface at a given point and has a magnitude equal to the area of the surface at that point.

How is an area vector calculated for a 1-D sphere?

The area vector for a 1-D sphere can be calculated using the formula A = 4πr, where A is the surface area and r is the radius of the sphere. This formula applies to any point on the surface of the sphere, and the resulting vector will always be perpendicular to the surface at that point.

What is the significance of area vectors for 1-D spheres in physics?

In physics, area vectors for 1-D spheres are important for understanding the flow of energy and calculating flux, or the amount of fluid or energy passing through a surface. They are also used in electromagnetism to determine the direction of electromagnetic waves.

Can the area vector for a 1-D sphere change?

Yes, the area vector for a 1-D sphere can change depending on the orientation of the surface. If the surface is rotated, the direction of the area vector will also change accordingly. However, the magnitude of the vector will remain the same as long as the radius of the sphere stays constant.

Are there any other applications of area vectors for 1-D spheres?

Yes, area vectors for 1-D spheres have applications in various fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and even biology. In engineering, they are used to calculate forces and stresses on spherical surfaces. In computer graphics, they are used to create realistic 3D models of spherical objects. In biology, they are used to study the shape and surface area of cells and other biological structures.