Volume of a Hollow Cylinder vs Cylindrical Shell

In summary, the volume of a hollow cylinder is not equal to the volume of a cylindrical shell used in calculus because the latter assumes an infinitesimally small thickness while the former is a finite thickness. The closer the inter-radius gets to the outer-radius, the closer the volumes will be.
CStudy
In my physics lab, I am asked to calculate the volume of a hollow cylinder. The equation for the volume hollow cylinder below was given. Then, my curiosity made me wonder, is the volume of the hollow cylinder the same as the volume of a cylindrical shell used in calculus? At first though you would assume the answer as yes. However, I have tested this theory using various measurements, resulting in two different results. Can anyone help me understand why Hallow Cylinder does not equal Cylindrical Shell? or maybe disprove my results.

Hollow Cylinder =
(π)(height)((ro)2−(ri)2)
Cylindrical Shell = 2(π)(ri)(height)(thickness)

The subscript "o" means outer-radius, and "i" means inter-radius

Mathematics news on Phys.org
CStudy said:
In my physics lab, I am asked to calculate the volume of a hollow cylinder. The equation for the volume hollow cylinder below was given. Then, my curiosity made me wonder, is the volume of the hollow cylinder the same as the volume of a cylindrical shell used in calculus? At first though you would assume the answer as yes. However, I have tested this theory using various measurements, resulting in two different results. Can anyone help me understand why Hallow Cylinder does not equal Cylindrical Shell? or maybe disprove my results.

Hollow Cylinder = (π)(height)((ro)^2−(ri)^2)

Welcome to the PF.

In the quoted text, I've fixed the r^2 terms. :smile:

The first equation is correct for the volume of a hollow cylinder. The second equation is used in calculus to calculate volumes, but what is the key assumption when it is used? You cannot use it for a cylindrical shell of a finite thickness...

The assumption is the cylindrical shell's thickness is infinitesimally small. I guess if you think about it, if you was to cut a hollow cylinder down the middle the surface are of one side would not equal the surface area of the other, unless the thickness was extremely, extremely, extremely small. thanks

Likes berkeman
CStudy said:

Hollow Cylinder =
(π)(height)((ro)2−(ri)2)

Well, without access to your results, I can't say if you've done your calculations correctly.

However, the volume of the cylindrical shell, Vshell = 2πrht, is accurate enough when t << r. This volume is calculated knowing the circumference of the cylinder, which is 2πr, and then multiplying that by the height to get the surface area, 2πrh,and then multiplying the surface area by the thickness t to get the volume.

Let's take a case where h = 1 and ro = 1, and let ri vary a bit:

Code:
ro   ri     Vcyl   Vshell  % Diff.
1    0.90  0.5969  0.6283  5.26
1    0.95  0.3063  0.3142  2.57
1    0.99  0.0625  0.0628  0.50

As you can see here, the closer ri comes to ro, the closer the volume of the shell comes to the volume of the hollow cylinder.

Likes berkeman
Awesome explanation.

Related to Volume of a Hollow Cylinder vs Cylindrical Shell

1. What is the difference between the volume of a hollow cylinder and a cylindrical shell?

The main difference between the volume of a hollow cylinder and a cylindrical shell is that the volume of a hollow cylinder includes the volume of the empty space inside the cylinder, while the volume of a cylindrical shell only takes into account the volume of the outer and inner surfaces of the cylinder.

2. How is the volume of a hollow cylinder calculated?

The volume of a hollow cylinder can be calculated by subtracting the volume of the inner cylinder from the volume of the outer cylinder. The formula for calculating the volume of a hollow cylinder is: V = πr2h - πr12h, where "r" is the radius of the outer cylinder, "r1" is the radius of the inner cylinder, and "h" is the height of the cylinder.

3. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cylindrical shell?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylindrical shell is: V = 2πrh, where "r" is the radius of the cylinder and "h" is the height of the cylinder. This formula takes into account the thickness of the cylinder's walls.

4. Can the volume of a hollow cylinder and a cylindrical shell be equal?

Yes, the volume of a hollow cylinder and a cylindrical shell can be equal if the inner and outer radii of the hollow cylinder are the same. In this case, the inner cylinder would have a volume of 0, making the formula for calculating the volume of a hollow cylinder the same as the formula for calculating the volume of a cylindrical shell.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating the volume of a hollow cylinder and a cylindrical shell?

The volume of a hollow cylinder and a cylindrical shell are commonly used in engineering and construction, such as calculating the volume of pipes, tanks, and columns. They are also used in geometry and calculus to solve various problems and equations. Additionally, understanding these concepts can help in understanding the principles of fluid mechanics and heat transfer.