Volume of 3 intersecting Cylinders

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of three intersecting cylinders that intersect at right angles, given a radius of 5. The desired rule for this is 8(2-sqrt(2))r^3. The method for setting up the integral is discussed, using cylindrical coordinates and taking into account the boundaries of the intersecting cylinders. The final integral is given as -16/3 R^3 times the integral of (sin^3 theta - 1)/cos^2 theta, which simplifies to 8R^3(2-sqrt(2)).
davidjoey

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the volume of three intersecting cylinders that intersect at right angles given that the radius is 5.

I have found many sites that state just the answer, but I am after the proof for it showing all of the working. I know how to prove the rule for 2 intersecting cylinders, I can't do it for 3 though.

Homework Equations

The rule I am after is 8(2-sqrt(2))r^3 or any similar form of that.

The Attempt at a Solution

V_3(r,r,r) = 16r^3int_0^(pi/4)int_0^1ssqrt(1-s^2cos^2t)dsdt

A site i have found begins solving with that equation, but I have completely no idea where the numbers come from.

Physics news on Phys.org
intersection3Cyl.jpg

The above is the looking-down view of the first octant. The next one is slightly cropped and from the z-axis looking out for getting the bounds of integration with the y=x plane included for reference.

intersection3Cyl_crop.jpg

Try setting up the integral now... I'll use cylinders of radius R.

In cylindrical coordinates [tex](r,\theta, z)[/tex]: Using symmetry (multiply by 16), [tex]0\le \theta\le \scriptstyle{\frac{\pi}{4}}[/tex]
here, z is bounded above by the red cylinder [tex]x^2+z^2=R^2[/tex] (second image) so [tex]0\le z\le \sqrt{R^2-r^2\cos^2\theta}[/tex]
and r is bounded by the blue cylinder so [tex]0\le r\le R[/tex]

so the integral is

[tex]16\int_{0}^{\scriptstyle{\frac{\pi}{4}}}\int_{0}^{R}\int_{0}^{\sqrt{R^2-r^2\cos^2\theta}}r\, dzdrd\theta = 16\int_{0}^{\scriptstyle{\frac{\pi}{4}}}\int_{0}^{R}r\sqrt{R^2-r^2\cos^2\theta}\, drd\theta[/tex]
[tex]= -{\scriptstyle{\frac{16}{3}}} R^3\int_{0}^{\scriptstyle{\frac{\pi}{4}}} \frac{\sin^3\theta -1}{\cos^2\theta}\, d\theta = 8R^3\left( 2-\sqrt{2}\right)[/tex]​

Last edited:
Likes Adesh

Related to Volume of 3 intersecting Cylinders

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of 3 intersecting cylinders?

The formula for finding the volume of 3 intersecting cylinders is V = π * r^2 * h, where r is the radius of the cylinder and h is the height of the cylinder. This formula assumes that the three cylinders have the same radius and height.

2. How do you calculate the volume of 3 intersecting cylinders with different measurements?

To calculate the volume of 3 intersecting cylinders with different measurements, you will need to find the individual volumes of each cylinder and then add them together. The formula for finding the volume of a cylinder is V = π * r^2 * h, so you will need to calculate the volume for each cylinder using its specific radius and height. Once you have the individual volumes, you can add them together to find the total volume of the intersecting cylinders.

3. Can the volume of 3 intersecting cylinders be negative?

No, the volume of 3 intersecting cylinders cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of the amount of space an object occupies and cannot be negative. If the calculated volume is negative, it may be an indication that the measurements used were incorrect or that the cylinders do not intersect properly.

4. How does the orientation of the cylinders affect the volume calculation?

The orientation of the cylinders does not affect the volume calculation as long as they intersect properly. The volume formula for cylinders assumes a circular base, so as long as the cylinders intersect in a way that creates a circular base, the orientation will not impact the volume calculation.

5. Can the volume of 3 intersecting cylinders be greater than the sum of the individual volumes?

No, the volume of 3 intersecting cylinders cannot be greater than the sum of the individual volumes. This is because when the cylinders intersect, they share common space, which would result in overlap if the total volume was greater than the sum of the individual volumes. If the calculated volume is greater than the sum of the individual volumes, it may be an indication that the cylinders do not intersect properly.