Volume inside sphere, outside cylinder

In summary, the sphere has a volume of 4 pi r^3 over 3 INSIDE the cylinder, but its total volume is 16 - 4 pi r^3 = 12 pi r^3.
fishingspree2
Find the volume inside the sphere [tex]x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{z}=16[/tex] and outside the cylinder [tex]x^{2}+y^{2}=4[/tex]. Use polar coordinates.

The sphere's center lies at the origin. The region of integration is the base of the cylinder, the radius 2 xy disk [tex]x^{2}+y^{2}=4[/tex] and the two parts of the sphere are given by [tex]z=\pm\sqrt{16-x^{2}-y^{2}}[/tex]

Volume of sphere is 4 pi r^3 over 3 = 4 pi 4^3 over 3

Therefore:
Volume inside sphere but outside cylinder = [tex]\frac{4\pi 4^{3}}{3}-2\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2}\left(\sqrt{16-r^{2}}\right)rdrd\theta[/tex]

What is wrong with my reasoning?
Thank you very much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fishingspree2! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a square-root: √ and an integral: ∫ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

What is your √(16 - r2) supposed to be? :confused:

(and why are you finding the "missing" volume? isn't it easier just to find the volume given?)

the √(16 - r2) is the top half of the sphere in polar coordinates

I thought about finding the volume directly but I don't know how to setup the integral.

thank you

fishingspree2 said:
the √(16 - r2) is the top half of the sphere in polar coordinates

Sorry, no idea what you mean … is that the length of something? :confused:
I thought about finding the volume directly but I don't know how to setup the integral.

Divide the volume into horizontal slices of height dz (each slice will be a "washer" with inner radius 2), find the volume of each slice, and integrate. :smile:

fishingspree2 said:
Find the volume inside the sphere [tex]x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{z}=16[/tex] and outside the cylinder [tex]x^{2}+y^{2}=4[/tex]. Use polar coordinates.

The sphere's center lies at the origin. The region of integration is the base of the cylinder, the radius 2 xy disk [tex]x^{2}+y^{2}=4[/tex] and the two parts of the sphere are given by [tex]z=\pm\sqrt{16-x^{2}-y^{2}}[/tex]

Volume of sphere is 4 pi r^3 over 3 = 4 pi 4^3 over 3

Therefore:
Volume inside sphere but outside cylinder = [tex]\frac{4\pi 4^{3}}{3}-2\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2}\left(\sqrt{16-r^{2}}\right)rdrd\theta[/tex]

What is wrong with my reasoning?
Thank you very much

Hi, fishingspree!

It might be easier solving this by:

1. Determine at what z-level the cylinder intersects with the sphere:
[tex]x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}-16=0=x^{2}+y^{2}-4\to{z}^{2}=12\to{z}=\pm\sqrt{12}[/tex]

2. Determine the volume INSIDE this region, using spherical coordinates, for example, for the volume of the two caps (along with the easy calculation of the volume of the cylinder).

3. Subtract this volume from the sphere's volume.

Related to Volume inside sphere, outside cylinder

What is the formula for finding the volume inside a sphere and outside a cylinder?

The formula for finding the volume inside a sphere and outside a cylinder is V = (4/3)πr3 - πr2h, where r is the radius of the sphere and h is the height of the cylinder.

How do you calculate the volume inside a sphere and outside a cylinder?

To calculate the volume inside a sphere and outside a cylinder, first find the volume of the sphere using the formula V = (4/3)πr3. Then, subtract the volume of the cylinder, which can be found using the formula V = πr2h. This will give you the volume inside the sphere and outside the cylinder.

What is the relationship between the volume inside a sphere and outside a cylinder?

The volume inside a sphere and outside a cylinder are complementary volumes. This means that the volume inside the sphere and outside the cylinder will always add up to the total volume of the sphere. In other words, the volume outside the cylinder is the remaining space after the volume inside the sphere is taken out.

What are the units for measuring volume inside a sphere and outside a cylinder?

The units for measuring volume inside a sphere and outside a cylinder are cubic units, such as cubic meters or cubic centimeters.

Can you use this formula to find the volume inside other shapes?

No, this formula specifically applies to finding the volume inside a sphere and outside a cylinder. To find the volume inside other shapes, different formulas and calculations would need to be used.