Volume from rotating function about y axis

In summary, the conversation discusses the technique for finding the volume of a figure created by rotating a function around the y-axis. The method of using washers is not the most efficient in this case, and instead, the simpler method of using shells is suggested. The conversation also includes calculations for finding the volume using washers.
nameVoid
y=1/x, y=0, x=1,x=1, rotate around y axis;

curious how to set this up using washers

Physics news on Phys.org

It's been a long time since I have done this, but I think this should be done with disks & I believe you meant x=1 and y=1 ?

You have "x= 1, x= 1". Surely, that's not what you meant! I am going to assume the limits are x= a, x= b, with a< b.

Because you have constant x limits (I assume), and are rotating around the y-axis, "washers" is not the best way to do this. The simplest method would be shells.

But since you ask:

There is no graph below y= 1/b. But you have y= 0 as the lower limit for the figure. So, for y= 0 to 1/a, this is a cylinder. its volume is [itex]\pi(b^2- a^2)(1/a)[/itex], the area between the two circles, of radii a and b, times it height, 1/a.

For y= 1/a to 1/b, draw a horizontal line from line from x= (a, y) to (1/y, y) (Since y= 1/x, x= 1/y). Rotated about the y-axis that gives a "washer". Its area is the difference between the areas of the two circles: [itex]\pi((1/y)^2- a^2)[/itex]. The volume of that "washer" is that area times its thickness, "dy": [itex]\pi\int_{y= 1/a}^{1/b} ((1/y)^2- a^2)dy[/itex]. Don't forget to add that first volume to get the volume of the entire thing.

nameVoid said:
y=1/x, y=0, x=1,x=1, rotate around y axis;

curious how to set this up using washers

Hi nameVoid! :smile:

I'm not sure what you mean :redface:, but the general technique is to cut it into slices with thickness dx … then the volume of each slice is (area)dx, and so the total volume is ∫(area)dx. :wink:

Related to Volume from rotating function about y axis

1. What is the formula for finding volume from rotating a function about the y-axis?

The formula for finding volume from rotating a function f(x) about the y-axis is V = π∫(f(y))^2 dy, where f(y) is the function in terms of y.

2. How do you know which limits to use when finding volume from rotating a function about the y-axis?

The limits for finding volume from rotating a function about the y-axis are determined by the intersection points of the function with the y-axis. These points will be used as the lower and upper limits for the integral.

3. Can you explain the concept of a disk/washer method for finding volume from rotating a function about the y-axis?

The disk/washer method involves slicing the rotated shape into thin disks or washers along the y-axis, and then finding the volume of each disk or washer. The volume of each disk is π(r)^2 dy, while the volume of each washer is π(R)^2 dy, where r is the radius of the smaller disk and R is the radius of the larger disk.

4. How does the shape of the function affect the volume when using the disk/washer method for finding volume from rotating about the y-axis?

The shape of the function determines the radius of the disks/washers and therefore affects the volume. If the function is a straight line, the radius remains constant and the volume is a cylinder. If the function is curved, the radius changes and the volume is a cone, cylinder, or frustum depending on the shape of the function.

5. Can you provide an example of finding volume from rotating a function about the y-axis?

Yes, for example, if we want to find the volume of the solid generated by rotating the function y = x^2 about the y-axis from x = 0 to x = 2, we would use the formula V = π∫(x^2)^2 dx from 0 to 2, which simplifies to V = π∫x^4 dx from 0 to 2. This can be solved using integration to find the volume as π(32/5) = 6.4π units cubed.