Volume Flow our of a fire hydrant

In summary, the conversation discusses calculations for determining the amount of water lost while flushing a hydrant. The outlet size is 2.5 in. and the pressure in the system is 40 psi. Using the equation Q=AV, the velocity of the water is determined to be 77 ft/s. Based on the given density and pressure values, the water flow rate is calculated to be 2.6 ft^3/s or 19 gal/sec. After flushing for 1.5 hours, the estimated amount of water lost is 105,892.77 gallons, which seems high. The issue was also discussed on the Eng-tips forum.
lord_temple
I'm doing calculations for how much water was lost during flushing a hydrant. It is a 2.5 in. outlet and the pressure is on the system in that zone is 40 psi. It was flushing for 1.5 hours.

Q=AV

V=[(2 dP gc)/density]

density = 62.4 lb/ft^3
dP=40 psi
gc=32.2 lbm ft / lbf s^2

V=77ft/s

Q=AV=(0.0340)(77)=2.6 ft^3/s=19gal/sec

The hydrant was flushing for 1.5hrs=90mins=5400secs so...

The water lost was 19*5400=105,892.77 gals? is that right?? can you check my generals theory of my problem?? it seems to me a little bit high to loose 100,000 gals in 1.5 hours for flushing a hydrant... don't you think?

Engineering news on Phys.org
This was answered on Eng-tips forum. I'd look there instead of rehashing it here as well.

Your calculations are correct. However, it is important to note that the volume flow out of a fire hydrant can vary depending on the size of the outlet and the pressure in the system. In this case, a 2.5 inch outlet at 40 psi would result in a high volume flow rate. It is also possible that there may have been some water loss due to leaks in the hydrant or pipes. It would be helpful to double check the pressure and outlet size to confirm the accuracy of your calculations. Additionally, it may be beneficial to compare the calculated volume with the actual volume of the hydrant to determine if there were any discrepancies. Overall, it is always important to carefully review and double check calculations to ensure accuracy in engineering projects.

Related to Volume Flow our of a fire hydrant

1. What is volume flow out of a fire hydrant?

The volume flow out of a fire hydrant refers to the amount of water that is released from the hydrant in a given time period. This is typically measured in gallons per minute (GPM) or liters per minute (LPM).

2. How is the volume flow out of a fire hydrant determined?

The volume flow out of a fire hydrant is determined by a combination of factors, including the size and type of the hydrant, the water pressure in the system, and the size and condition of the water main. It is also affected by any obstructions or restrictions in the hydrant or water main.

3. What is the typical volume flow out of a fire hydrant?

The typical volume flow out of a fire hydrant can vary greatly, depending on the factors mentioned above. However, a standard fire hydrant in a municipal water system can typically provide a flow rate of 1000 GPM or more.

4. How is the volume flow out of a fire hydrant used in firefighting?

The volume flow out of a fire hydrant is a crucial factor in firefighting operations. It is used to determine the amount of water that can be supplied to a fire, and helps firefighters calculate the necessary flow rate and pressure for their hoses and nozzles.

5. Can the volume flow out of a fire hydrant be increased?

In some cases, the volume flow out of a fire hydrant can be increased by installing a larger or more efficient hydrant or making improvements to the water main. However, this is a complex process that must be carefully planned and executed by trained professionals.