Volume and surface area of the sphere using integration

In summary, The process of finding the surface area of a sphere using integration is different than finding its volume. While finding the volume involves slicing the sphere into small pieces and multiplying the area of each slice by its thickness, finding the surface area requires multiplying the circumference of the slice by its incremental arc length. This is demonstrated in a PDF file provided for clarification.
hamalyas

Homework Statement

i was trying to find the surface area of the sphere using integration, ( by revolving circle on the x-axis )

the thing is it doesn't work as the volume problem. i mean in volume problem to get the volume of the sphere, you would start with circle and start slice it into little pieces, then you would multiply the area of that slice with the thickness which is dx

but in the surface problem you would multiply the circumference of the slice with the incremental arch Length which is ds

why i cannot in the surface problem multiply the circumference by the thickness dx, and i have to multiply it by the arc length ds

actually i uploaded a pdf file to clarify things

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• sphere problem.pdf
    528 KB · Views: 367
Physics news on Phys.org
up ... up

Related to Volume and surface area of the sphere using integration

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a sphere using integration?

The formula for calculating the volume of a sphere using integration is V = ∫πr² dx, where r is the radius of the sphere and dx represents the infinitesimal change in the radius.

How is the surface area of a sphere related to its volume using integration?

The surface area of a sphere is directly proportional to its volume. This means that as the volume of a sphere increases, its surface area also increases. This relationship is expressed mathematically as dA = 2πr dx, where dA is the infinitesimal change in the surface area and r is the radius of the sphere.

Can the volume and surface area of a sphere be calculated using other methods besides integration?

Yes, the volume and surface area of a sphere can also be calculated using traditional geometric formulas. The volume of a sphere can be calculated using the formula V = (4/3)πr³ and the surface area can be calculated using the formula A = 4πr². However, integration is a useful method for calculating the volume and surface area of irregularly shaped spheres or spheres that cannot be easily measured using traditional methods.

What are the units for the volume and surface area of a sphere using integration?

The units for the volume of a sphere using integration are cubic units, such as cubic meters or cubic centimeters. The units for the surface area of a sphere using integration are square units, such as square meters or square centimeters.

How is the integration method used to calculate the volume and surface area of a sphere?

The integration method involves breaking down the sphere into infinitesimally small sections, calculating the volume and surface area of each section, and then adding them together to get the total volume and surface area of the sphere. This is done using calculus principles and the formula for the volume and surface area of a sphere.