Voltage Variation in a Series Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a voltmeter in a simple series circuit with a single resistor. The main question is whether the voltage remains the same or changes as the points get closer. It is mentioned that a power supply is connected and that the thickness of the wires can affect the resistance. The conclusion is that the voltage between points 1 and 2 will be 0, between points 2 and 3 will be 9v, between points 3 and 4 will be 0, and between points 4 and 1 will be 9v.
FS98
If I had a simple series circuit with only a single resistor, and I used a voltmeter to find the voltage between a point at the end of the circuit and another point, which was moved from the beginning to the end of the circuit, what would I find at these various point?

Would the voltage remain the same as the points got closer, or would it change?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi FS98,
Question 1: What do you think yourself?
Question 2: Is there a power supply (i.e. a voltage source) connected to the circuit or not?

Likes FS98
I need a schematic diagram to understand what you're asking.

Likes FS98
DennisN said:
Hi FS98,
Question 1: What do you think yourself?
Question 2: Is there a power supply (i.e. a voltage source) connected to the circuit or not?
Yes there’s a power supply. Here’s a picture of something like what I’m thinking of.

My intuition from having used a voltmeter before is that it would be the same everywhere. Although of my intuition is correct, I’m left a bit confused.

A flowing body of water on an incline is often used to explain voltage, resistant and current. If we take the difference in potential energy per unit mass between the bottom of that body of water and a point at the beginning of the flowing water, and then move that point closer and closer to the point at the bottom of the incline, I would think that the potential energy per unit mass would decrease. It seems like this would also apply to voltage down the wire of a circuit.

So that’s why I’m asking. My intuition is telling me different than what seems to make sense.

Attachments

• DF9D8F3E-A63F-4547-BCAF-2706593F93DD.png
    DF9D8F3E-A63F-4547-BCAF-2706593F93DD.png
    952 bytes · Views: 520
If you put the voltmeter leads at points 1 and 2, it will show zero volts if the wire is idea with zero resistance.

If the wire has nonzero resistance, there will be a slight voltage V12. it would get smaller as you bring the two leads closer to each other. However, the slight voltage may be only a few microvolts, too small for you to measure with an inexpensive meter. Your picture shows the voltage of the battery and the ohms of the resistor, but it does not specify how thick the wires are. The thinner the wires, the more resistance they have.

In circuit analysis, we typically assume that all wires have zero resistance even if that is not strictly true.

Likes FS98
FS98 said:
Yes there’s a power supply. Here’s a picture of something like what I’m thinking of.
It's good you posted a picture. I have two more questions:
What do you think your voltage meter will show when you measure between...
  1. ...point 1 and 2 in your picture?
  2. ...point 2 and 3 in your picture?

EDIT: anorlunda has already answered question 1. :smile:

Likes FS98
DennisN said:
It's good you posted a picture. I have two more questions:
  1. ...point 1 and 2 in your picture?
  2. ...point 2 and 3 in your picture?

EDIT: anorlunda has already answered question 1. :smile:

I want to say that it will measure 9v for question 2.

My intuition along with the responses make me think that voltage is only found between resistive parts of a circuit.

Likes davenn
FS98 said:
I want to say that it will measure 9v for question 2.
Correct.

Now we have just got two more questions left:
3. ...point 3 and 4 ?
4. ...point 4 and 1 ?

Likes FS98
DennisN said:
Correct.

Now we have just got two more questions left:
3. ...point 3 and 4 ?
4. ...point 4 and 1 ?
I believe 0 for question 3 and 9v for question 4.

Likes davenn
FS98 said:
I believe 0 for question 3 and 9v for question 4.
Correct!

Likes FS98

Related to Voltage Variation in a Series Circuit

What is voltage in a series circuit?

Voltage in a series circuit is the electrical potential difference between two points in the circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of energy that is required to move electric charge between two points.

How is voltage calculated in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, voltage is calculated by adding the individual voltage drops across each component. This means that the total voltage of the circuit is equal to the sum of the voltage drops across each component.

What happens to voltage in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, voltage remains constant throughout the circuit. This means that the voltage at the beginning of the circuit is the same as the voltage at the end of the circuit.

How does adding more components affect voltage in a series circuit?

Adding more components in a series circuit will decrease the voltage across each component. This is because the total voltage of the circuit remains constant, so with more components, the voltage is divided among them.

What is the relationship between voltage and resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, voltage and resistance have a direct relationship. This means that as voltage increases, resistance also increases, and vice versa. This is because resistance is a measure of how much a component resists the flow of current, and a higher voltage will result in a higher current, which increases the resistance.