Voltage Fluctuations in Arduino-opamp-thermistor circuit

In summary, The conversation involves a person working on a board that measures voltage off a thermistor through an arduino and amplified by an opamp. They have been experiencing strange voltage fluctuations and have tested the voltage source and thermistor independently to ensure stability. A graph has been attached showing the fluctuations over time with no changes made to the system. The person is seeking ideas for what could be causing the noise/fluctuations, and mentions a possible issue with a floating ground. They also suggest reading through the application information for the opamp and testing the code/hardware on a test input voltage.
ktizzle
I'm working on a board that takes measurements of voltage off a thermistor through an arduino and amplified by an opamp (really an instrumentation amp AD623), also there are two potentiometers (picture of schematic attached).

I've been receiving some very strange voltage fluctuations that I can't seem to isolate to any particular component. I've tested both the voltage source and the thermistor independently of the circuit and they are both stable.

Attached is a graph, and on the bottom of the pic you can see the fluctuations over time with no change implemented in the system. At times they look almost oscillatory, but then stabilize at a random voltage before jumping around again. example, would go from 0.01-0.06 volts, jump around 0.3-0.4 volts, and occasionally go as high as 1-2 volts (With no change to the thermistor!)

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for what is causing the noise/fluctuations. Also, I've heard of a floating ground (not sure what that is), and I was wondering if that was an issue here.

Attachments

• weirdGraph.jpg
    weirdGraph.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 601
  • 800px-PolyNIPAM-Circuit_schem.jpg
    800px-PolyNIPAM-Circuit_schem.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 743
Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Voltage Fluctuations in Arduino-opamp-thermistor circuit

1. What causes voltage fluctuations in an Arduino-opamp-thermistor circuit?

There are several factors that can cause voltage fluctuations in this type of circuit. These include variations in the power supply, changes in ambient temperature, and noise from other electronic components. Additionally, the resistance of the thermistor can also affect the voltage output.

2. How can I measure voltage fluctuations in an Arduino-opamp-thermistor circuit?

The best way to measure voltage fluctuations in this type of circuit is by using a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the DC voltage setting and connect the probes to the output of the circuit. The multimeter will display the voltage reading, which will fluctuate as the circuit experiences variations.

3. Are voltage fluctuations in an Arduino-opamp-thermistor circuit harmful?

In most cases, voltage fluctuations in this type of circuit are not harmful. However, if the fluctuations are too extreme or occur too frequently, they can potentially damage the components of the circuit. It is important to monitor and regulate voltage fluctuations to ensure the proper functioning of the circuit.

4. How can I reduce voltage fluctuations in an Arduino-opamp-thermistor circuit?

One way to reduce voltage fluctuations is by using a voltage regulator in the circuit. This will help stabilize the output voltage and prevent large variations. Additionally, using high-quality components and properly shielding the circuit can also help reduce voltage fluctuations.

5. Can I eliminate voltage fluctuations completely in an Arduino-opamp-thermistor circuit?

It is nearly impossible to completely eliminate voltage fluctuations in any electronic circuit. However, by using appropriate components, proper circuit design, and implementing voltage regulation techniques, it is possible to significantly reduce the fluctuations and ensure stable voltage output for the circuit.