I cannot seem to properly ground this circuit.

In summary, the individual is seeking help with designing a modular addition to a spectrophotometer using an Arduino. The main issue they are facing is connecting the virtual ground to the Arduino ground in order to deliver positive voltage to the Arduino. They have been struggling with this issue for a few days and are seeking assistance. They have also considered using an LM324 opamp as an alternative.
SasQuach
Hi All!
I am trying to build a modular addition to a spectrophotometer (it needs to be mobile and easily removed) thus I have decided to base my design around an Arduino.

My application requires that I power/control a High Power (1W) Infrared LED, and read off temperature measurements from an NTC thermistor.
Currently I am primarily having difficulty with the Thermistor part of the circuit (left side for all schematics)

My original design (See Image):
OriginalPolyNIPAMCircuit.png

Used a voltage divider to measure the resistance of the thermistor. This worked fine, however due to the limitations of my thermistor and the small range of temperatures I am interested in, the voltage changes in that setup were minimal (on the order of a few tenths of a volt maximum). Thus I decided to add an OP-AMP in differential arrangement to amplify (and give a desired DC offset) my signal.

This led me to the following (current) design:
PolyNIPAM-Circuit-ForHelp_schem copy.jpg

The OP-AMP that I am using called for a dual polarity power source. As such I put together the arrangement at the top left of the above schematic. My understanding is it produces a virtual ground at 8V.

The Issue I am having is tying this ground into the Arduino ground, so that the signal entering the Arduino at A0 (an analog input port) is between 0-5V

I really am stumped as to what I should connect my "Virtual Ground" up to.

Currently I keep reading non-trivial bias voltages between the input to A0 and the Arduino ground.

I have been beating my head against this for a few days now I would most appreciate some help.

Thank you so much,
Justin

Engineering news on Phys.org
that circuit should deliver positive voltage to Arduino.

Look at it.
Noninverting input is fixed at 4.123 volts by voltage divider R5-R9.
Were thermistor not even present, in order for opamp to balance its inputs:
again by voltage divider action:

inverting input ##= 5 - \frac{2}{6.7} X (5-Vout) = 4.123##

## Vout = 2.062 ##

which means output would have to be 2.062 volts or greater.
Is that what you are seeing?

As thermistor can only lower the voltage at junction of the two 1K resistors your opamp will have to make his output go up to restore balanced inputs.

You might check out LM324 opamp. It uses single supply. But i think your trouble is not with the virtual ground.

Last edited:

Related to I cannot seem to properly ground this circuit.

1. Why is grounding important in a circuit?

Grounding is important in a circuit because it provides a safe path for excess electrical current to flow to the earth. This protects the circuit and its components from damage and reduces the risk of electrical shocks.

2. What can cause difficulty in properly grounding a circuit?

There are several possible reasons for difficulty in properly grounding a circuit. These include faulty wiring, poor connections, insufficient grounding points, or interference from nearby electrical equipment.

3. How can I troubleshoot grounding issues in a circuit?

The first step in troubleshooting grounding issues is to check all connections, including the grounding wire, and make sure they are secure. If the issue persists, using a multimeter to test for continuity and resistance in the circuit can help identify the problem area.

4. Can a malfunctioning ground cause problems in a circuit?

Yes, a malfunctioning ground can cause various issues in a circuit, such as electrical interference, voltage fluctuations, and damage to components. It is important to ensure that the ground is functioning properly to maintain the stability and safety of the circuit.

5. Are there different types of grounding methods for circuits?

Yes, there are various grounding methods for circuits, including single-point grounding, multiple-point grounding, and isolated grounding. The appropriate method to use depends on the specific circuit and its components.