Voltage drop across a battery, a capacitor and 2 light bulbs

In summary, a 3v battery is connected to a capacitor and 2 light bulbs, all in parallel setup. At t = 0, the voltage across the light bulbs and capacitor should be the same. At t = infinity, the capacitor is fully charged and the current drops to 0, causing the light bulbs to eventually go out. In an ideal situation, the RC time constant to charge the capacitor would be zero and all components would have 3v at both t = 0 and t = infinity. However, in a non-ideal situation, the results may vary. The configuration of the components in the circuit does not affect the overall outcome.
Sephonet
A 3v battery is connected to a capacitor and 2 light bulbs all in parallel set up

1. Where is the total voltage drop at t = 0
2. Where is the total voltage drop at t = infinity
3. Which light bulb is brighter?

From my understanding, since this is in parallel set up at t = 0 the voltage across the light bulb should be the same but would the capacitor have the same voltage as the two light bulbs?

Very unsure of this one, at t = infinity, the capacitor is fully charge the current drops to 0 thus there will be voltage drop across the two light bulbs and eventually there will be no light on both of them.

If we take wire resistance into account then the light bulb that is closer to the capacitor/battery is the brighter one while the farthest light bulb would the dimmer. If we don't take wire resistance into account then the two light bulbs would have the same amount of brightness.

Physics news on Phys.org
In an ideal situation, the RC time constant to charge the cap would be zero because R=0 and all 3 elements have 3v at t=0 and at t=infinity.

In a non-ideal situation, you'd have to give more specifics.

Ideal situations don't exist in the real world but they are commonly used in homework problems.

I don't understand your statement
... and eventually there will be no light on both of them.
There WILL be light on both of them.

phinds said:
In an ideal situation, the RC time constant to charge the cap would be zero because R=0 and all 3 elements have 3v at t=0 and at t=infinity.

In a non-ideal situation, you'd have to give more specifics.

Ideal situations don't exist in the real world but they are commonly used in homework problems.

I don't understand your statement There WILL be light on both of them.

This question is more conceptual rather than calculation so yes, assume ideal situation.

I said that the light will go out because I was thinking that it would be the same as in series which is when the capacitor is fully charged (at t = infinity), the current drops to zero which causes the light to go out or perhaps my understanding is incorrect on this one?

Sephonet said:
This question is more conceptual rather than calculation so yes, assume ideal situation.

I said that the light will go out because I was thinking that it would be the same as in series which is when the capacitor is fully charged (at t = infinity), the current drops to zero which causes the light to go out or perhaps my understanding is incorrect on this one?
If the components are in parallel and one of them happens to end up not conducting current (such as would occur for a capacitor after some long time interval), that doesn't affect the other parallel components that do continue to conduct current. All components in parallel "see" the same potential difference across them. In this case that potential difference is determined by the battery.

It seems odd that the problem statement would put a capacitor directly across a battery without an intervening resistance. For ideal components this would lead to an unrealistic situation. Are you certain about the configuration of components described in the problem statement?

gneill said:
If the components are in parallel and one of them happens to end up not conducting current (such as would occur for a capacitor after some long time interval), that doesn't affect the other parallel components that do continue to conduct current. All components in parallel "see" the same potential difference across them. In this case that potential difference is determined by the battery.

It seems odd that the problem statement would put a capacitor directly across a battery without an intervening resistance. For ideal components this would lead to an unrealistic situation. Are you certain about the configuration of components described in the problem statement?

The problem stated as I have written down above, but I think you can rearrange the circuit which would mean you can put the capacitor at the farthest loop from the battery but I still don't see how that would change things or would it?

Sephonet said:
The problem stated as I have written down above, but I think you can rearrange the circuit which would mean you can put the capacitor at the farthest loop from the battery but I still don't see how that would change things or would it?

No, it would not change anything. I think that the problem is poorly conceived.

Related to Voltage drop across a battery, a capacitor and 2 light bulbs

What is voltage drop?

Voltage drop is the decrease in voltage in an electrical circuit due to the resistance of the components in the circuit.

How does voltage drop affect a battery?

As a battery discharges, the voltage across it decreases due to the internal resistance of the battery. This results in a decrease in the amount of current that can flow through the circuit.

Why does voltage drop occur across a capacitor?

When a capacitor is charging or discharging, there is a voltage drop across it due to the buildup of charge on the plates. This voltage drop decreases as the capacitor becomes fully charged or discharged.

Does the voltage drop across a light bulb affect its brightness?

Yes, the voltage drop across a light bulb affects its brightness. A higher voltage drop results in a brighter light, while a lower voltage drop results in a dimmer light.

Is the voltage drop across 2 light bulbs the same as across 1 light bulb?

No, the voltage drop across 2 light bulbs in series will be higher than the voltage drop across 1 light bulb. This is because the total resistance in the circuit is increased when another light bulb is added, resulting in a higher voltage drop across each individual bulb.