Voltage Difference Along a Path

In summary, the electric field is (-2x−y2)ax+ (3z−2xy)ay+3yaz. The piecewise linear path between the points A(−2,1,−1), P(2,1,−1), Q(2,3,−1) and B(2,3,1) is found by solving the equation −∫E⋅dl. The equation has the following simplified forms:-∫ (x−x1) dx from x=-2 to 2-∫ (y−y1) dy from y=-1 to 1-∫ (z−z1)
Jake 7174

Homework Statement

Given the electric field E = (2x−y2)ax + (3z−2xy)ay + 3yaz, and the piecewise linear path joining the points A(−2,1,−1), P(2,1,−1), Q(2,3,−1) and B(2,3,1), find −∫E⋅dl from A to P − ∫E⋅dl from P to Q − ∫E⋅dl from Q to B along the straight line segments.

Homework Equations

−∫E⋅dl

(x - x1) / (x1 - x2 ) = (y - y1) / (y1 - y2 ) =(z - z1) / (z1 - z2 )

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved this problem going direct from point a to b by using the above equation and found that the answer is 8 v. This is confirmed by the answer key. Here is my problem, when I set up the line equation to go from point A to P I get the following;

(x + 2) / (-2 - 2) = (y - 1) / (1 - 1) = (z + 1) / (-1 + 1)

or, (x + 2) / -4 = (y - 1) / 0 = (z + 1) / 0

I am ultimatley going to solve for y and z in terms of x to express my integral in terms of just x and I know how to get rid of the pesky dy and dz as well but I need the line equation to not blow up on me.

How do I resolve the division by 0? I know that the VAQ = 4 v from the solution but I am not sure what to do about the line equation.

I have an exam on Monday and I am certain a question like this will appear.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jake 7174 said:
Here is my problem, when I set up the line equation to go from point A to Q
Did you mean to write A to P?
I get the following;

(x + 2) / (-2 - 2) = (y - 1) / (1 - 1) = (z + 1) / (-1 + 1)

or, (x + 2) / -4 = (y - 1) / 0 = (z + 1) / 0

I am ultimatley going to solve for y and z in terms of x to express my integral in terms of just x and I know how to get rid of the pesky dy and dz as well but I need the line equation to not blow up on me.

How do I resolve the division by 0?

The division by 0 comes from the special nature of the path from A to P. For that path, how would you simplify the expression

##\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l} = E_xdl_x+E_ydl_y+E_zdl_z##?

TSny said:
Did you mean to write A to P?The division by 0 comes from the special nature of the path from A to P. For that path, how would you simplify the expression

TSny said:
Did you mean to write A to P?The division by 0 comes from the special nature of the path from A to P. For that path, how would you simplify the expression

I did mean to write A to P. I fixed it.

if y = z then dly = dlz = 0

so the expression simplifies to ##\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l} = E_xdl_x##

Jake 7174 said:
I did mean to write A to P. I fixed it.

if y = z then dly = dlz = 0

so the expression simplifies to ##\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l} = E_xdl_x##

If this is the case then I have
-∫ (2x - y^2) dx from x= -2 to 2 but Y =1

so, -∫ (2x - 1^2) dx = 4

This is the result I am looking for. I want to be sure I didnt luck into it and that I simplified it correctly as you suggested.

Jake 7174 said:
If this is the case then I have
-∫ (2x - y^2) dx from x= -2 to 2 but Y =1

so, -∫ (2x - 1^2) dx = 4

This is the result I am looking for. I want to be sure I didnt luck into it and that I simplified it correctly as you suggested.
That looks very good.

Likes Jake 7174
TSny said:
That looks very good.
Awesome, Thanks for your help

Related to Voltage Difference Along a Path

1. What is voltage difference?

Voltage difference, also known as potential difference, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is the driving force for the flow of electric current.

2. How is voltage difference calculated?

Voltage difference can be calculated by subtracting the electric potential at one point from the electric potential at another point. This can be represented mathematically as V = V2 - V1, where V is the voltage difference, V2 is the electric potential at the second point, and V1 is the electric potential at the first point.

3. What factors affect voltage difference?

The main factors that affect voltage difference are the amount of electric charge and the distance between the two points. The greater the amount of electric charge and the closer the two points are, the higher the voltage difference will be.

4. How does voltage difference impact the flow of current?

Voltage difference is directly related to the flow of electric current. A higher voltage difference will result in a greater flow of current, while a lower voltage difference will result in a lower flow of current. This is because voltage difference acts as the driving force for the movement of electric charge.

5. Why is it important to measure voltage difference along a path?

Measuring voltage difference along a path is important because it allows us to understand the flow of electric current and identify any potential issues or malfunctions in an electrical circuit. It also helps us to determine the efficiency of a circuit and make necessary adjustments to improve its performance.