Visualising the effect of surface tension

Best of luck with your simulation! In summary, the Lattice Boltzmann method is being used to simulate multiphase flow with a focus on interparticle forces. To better understand how these forces cause surface tension, the suggestion is made to compare the forces experienced by a particle at the edge of a square to a particle at a corner. A diagram of the situation is provided to aid in visualization.
ponjavic
Hello!

I am using the Lattice Boltzmann method to simulate multiphase flow. The details are not important but the main drive behind multiple phases being simulated is interparticle forces. Now I am trying to visualise intuitively how such interparticle forces will cause a fluid to experience surface tension. As known, in 2d, this will ultimately cause the liquid phase to form a circle.

Basically my suggestion is to take a square and then comparing a particle at the edge of the square with a particle at a corner of the square. Not forces are only considered due to neighbouring nodes on the mesh and the forces are attractive and dependent on nearby densities. My argument is that because these two particles will consider different forces the geometry has to change. This change will continue until it forms a circle because this is the only case where the forces are equal for all particles.

Still I am having trouble visualising this myself. Although I can understand the forces experienced are different I am unsure as to how. A look at the figure might help to show what I am trying to accomplish. Any help would be appreciated.https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/19169
Red circles represent the two nodes under consideration and the yellow dots show the eight neighbouring needs which provide attractive forces based on the density at their positions.

Attachments

• surface.jpg
    surface.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there! It sounds like you are on the right track. In order to understand how the interparticle forces cause a fluid to experience surface tension, you need to consider the difference in forces experienced by a particle at the edge of the square compared to a particle at a corner of the square. Visualizing this can be difficult, so it might help to look at a diagram of the situation you are describing. The red circles represent the two nodes under consideration and the yellow dots show the eight neighboring nodes which provide attractive forces based on the density at their positions. This should help you understand why the geometry will ultimately form a circle when these forces are considered.

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your work on simulating multiphase flow and investigating surface tension using the Lattice Boltzmann method. It is always exciting to see how computational methods can help us understand complex physical phenomena.

From your description, it seems that you are trying to visualize the effect of surface tension on a liquid phase by comparing the forces experienced by two particles at different positions on a square grid. As you mentioned, the forces experienced by these particles will differ due to the neighboring nodes on the mesh and the attractive forces dependent on nearby densities.

To help you visualize this, let's consider the two particles at the edge and corner of the square grid. The particle at the edge only has four neighboring nodes, while the particle at the corner has eight neighboring nodes. This means that the attractive forces acting on the particle at the corner will be stronger than the forces acting on the particle at the edge because there are more neighboring nodes contributing to the force.

Moreover, the forces acting on each particle will also vary depending on the density at their respective positions. For example, if the particle at the edge has a higher density compared to the particle at the corner, the attractive forces acting on it will be stronger. This will cause the particle at the edge to move towards the particle at the corner, reducing the surface area of the liquid and forming a circular shape.

In summary, the varying forces experienced by the particles at different positions on the square grid, combined with the attractive forces dependent on nearby densities, will cause the liquid to form a circular shape due to surface tension. I hope this helps in visualizing the effect of surface tension on the liquid phase in your simulation. Keep up the great work!

Related to Visualising the effect of surface tension

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is a physical property of liquids that causes the surface of the liquid to behave like a thin elastic sheet. It is caused by the cohesive forces between the molecules of the liquid, which allow the liquid to resist external forces and maintain its shape.

2. How does surface tension affect the behavior of liquids?

Surface tension affects the behavior of liquids in several ways. It allows insects and small objects to float on the surface of the liquid, it causes liquid droplets to form spherical shapes, and it can also cause capillary action, where liquids move upwards against gravity in narrow tubes.

3. How can surface tension be visualized?

Surface tension can be visualized through various experiments and demonstrations. Some common methods include placing a small object (such as a paper clip) on the surface of water and observing it float, using soap to break the surface tension and create colorful patterns on the surface of water, or using a microscope to observe the surface tension of a liquid in more detail.

4. What factors can affect surface tension?

Surface tension can be affected by several factors, including temperature, the presence of impurities or substances that reduce surface tension (such as soap), and the type of liquid. It can also be influenced by external forces, such as gravity or the presence of other objects on the surface of the liquid.

5. How is surface tension important in everyday life and in scientific research?

Surface tension plays a crucial role in many everyday processes, such as the formation of soap bubbles, the behavior of liquids in cooking and cleaning, and the functioning of our respiratory system. In scientific research, surface tension is an important property to study and understand, as it can impact various fields such as fluid mechanics, materials science, and biology.