Visualising the Conjugate Transposition of a Vector

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between state and basis vectors in a Hilbert space, and how they can be represented graphically. The concept of inner product and its relationship to probability amplitudes is also mentioned, along with the idea of extending the notion of dual spaces in quantum theory. Overall, the conversation provides a brief overview of the mathematical concepts involved in quantum mechanics.
H Smith 94
Gold Member
Hi there!

As you might have already guessed, I'm referring primarily to the 'geometrical' difference (is there such geometry in Hilbert space?) between ##n##-dimensional state vectors
[tex] | \psi \rangle = \left( \begin{matrix} \psi_1 \\ \psi_2 \\ \vdots \\ \psi_n \end{matrix} \right) [/tex]
and their corresponding basis vectors
[tex] \langle \psi | = \left( \begin{matrix} \psi_1^* & \psi_2^* & \cdots & \psi_n^* \end{matrix} \right). [/tex]
What would these (particularly the latter) look like on a graph? (What kind of graph could one even represent these on?)

Additionally, if the inner product of two vector spaces represents the projection of one vector onto another, the inner product of these two vector spaces would equal 1, meaning they are parallel (which is true). But what does that mean for two non-equal states? For example,
[tex] \langle \phi | \psi \rangle [/tex]
where ##|\phi\rangle \ne |\psi\rangle##. How does this inner product represent the probability amplitude of the wavefunction from two separate states? I've been imagining this as an ##n##-dimensional generalisation of the dot (scalar) product of two vectors thus far!

I'm looking mainly for conceptualisations/visualisations (personal interpretations invited) of how this process works but also corrections on where I'm misunderstanding the theory.

Thanks in advance,

Harry

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
H Smith 94 said:
Additionally, if the inner product of two vector spaces represents the projection of one vector onto another, the inner product of these two vector spaces would equal 1,

I don't know what you mean by the inner product of two different spaces. If you have two spaces you need to form their product space |a>|b> and the inner product will not in general be one in that product space:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_product#Tensor_product_of_vector_spaces

In fact with the usual way of doing it the inner product will be zero ie you get a vector (a1, a2, ...an,b1, b2,...bm). A vector with all the bj zero will always have an inner product of zero with a vector that has the ai zero.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:
I don't know what you mean by the inner product of two different spaces. If you have two spaces you need to form their product space |a>|b> and the inner product will not in general be one in that product space:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_product#Tensor_product_of_vector_spaces

Hi Bill, thanks for your response!

I apologise for the ambiguity - I didn't mean the inner product of two vector spaces; I meant the inner product of two vectors, [itex]|a\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|b\rangle[/itex] within the same vector space. I realize now that is an important distinction to make!

Liboff - Introductory Quantum Mechanics offers a graphical representation similar to what you're thinking when it discusses the Hilbert space.

Likes H Smith 94
ddd123 said:
Liboff - Introductory Quantum Mechanics offers a graphical representation similar to what you're thinking when it discusses the Hilbert space.

Thank you! Yes that is very helpful!

A "ket" represents a vector in Hilbert space, a "bra" a covector. If you take the topological dual space, you have the Hilbert space again (or more precisely the topological dual of the Hilbert space is equivalent to the Hilbert space again).

In quantum theory, however, you extend this notion of the dual space to an extended object, i.e., to distributions on the Hilbert space. The reason is that then you can deal with "generalized eigenvectors" for undbound self-adjoint operators that are defined only on a dense subspace of the Hilbert space, and you consider the dual space of this subspace. This is called the "rigged Hilbert-space formalism). You find a good physicists' introduction in

L. Ballentine, Quantum Mechanics, Addison Wesley.

Likes bhobba

Related to Visualising the Conjugate Transposition of a Vector

1. What is the conjugate transposition of a vector?

The conjugate transposition of a vector is a mathematical operation that involves taking the complex conjugate of each element in the vector and then transposing the resulting vector. This means that the order of the elements in the vector is reversed and the imaginary parts of the complex numbers are changed to their negatives.

2. How is the conjugate transposition of a vector represented?

The conjugate transposition of a vector is often represented by adding a dagger symbol (†) above the vector, e.g. A†. This is sometimes also referred to as the Hermitian conjugate or adjoint of the vector.

3. What is the purpose of visualising the conjugate transposition of a vector?

Visualising the conjugate transposition of a vector can help in understanding the relationship between the original vector and its conjugate transposition. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation of complex numbers and matrices.

4. What are some practical applications of the conjugate transposition of a vector?

The conjugate transposition of a vector is commonly used in quantum mechanics, signal processing, and linear algebra. It can also be used in solving systems of linear equations and finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

5. Are there any properties or rules associated with the conjugate transposition of a vector?

Yes, there are several properties and rules that apply to the conjugate transposition of a vector. These include linearity, distributivity, and the fact that the conjugate transposition of the conjugate transposition of a vector is equal to the original vector. It also follows the same rules as transposing and taking the complex conjugate of a matrix.