Visiting Grad Schools: Tips for Requesting a Visit

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's recent offer of admission to grad school and their plans to wait for more offers before committing. They also expressed interest in visiting the school and potentially requesting a travel subsidy due to financial constraints. The proper etiquette for requesting a visit and reimbursement was also mentioned, with the suggestion to email a graduate adviser or associate chair. It was noted that some schools may not have a budget for reimbursement, especially for international students, but it is still worth contacting them.
Lavabug
Much to my delight and surprise, I have recently been offered admission grad school. I currently have one offer but am going to wait to hear back from a few more schools before possibly visiting and committing to one. I've kept in contact with the school and let them know of this intention.

The school has not stipulated any "open house" days or travel reimbursement as some other schools seem to offer, and I am wondering what the proper etiquette is for requesting a visit (and possibly a travel subsidy, if it's not a stretch, as I am in a tight financial situation right now). How should I go about asking this or any additional schools that send me an offer of admission?

I have a few ideas of what I would like to get out of a visit (talking with current grad students and the prof's who are most likely to supervise me, as well as gathering some idea about the living costs in the area), but it seems like a big request to ask for an "open house" day for a single student.

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually there is a graduate adviser or associate chair in charge of graduate students who can serve as a primary contact. I would email one of these people and simply tell them that you're interested in coming for a visit and name anyone in particular you'd like to talk to. If you have a particular supervisor in mind, you could also arrange the visit with that person specifically.

It's fine to ask about reimbursement. Some schools will offer this. Others won't. Although, chances are if they haven't already brought it up they don't really have the money for it.

As far as I know you are an international student. This could also be a reason why they have not mentioned any open house dates. It is worth contacting them, though.

Most US schools do not invite (and reimburse) prospective graduate students to visit, although some do. Choppy is right - they can usually arrange for prospective students to visit, but if they didn't mention reimbursement, it's likely they don't have a budget for it.

Open House visits are reimbursed if your school has the money. I haven't seen anyone do it for international students though which makes sense (A ticket from East-West Coast runs ~$200 while an international ticket will run 2x to 5x that).

For my schools, they all mentioned it in the acceptance and two sent specific follow up emails for RSVPs and more information.

Related to Visiting Grad Schools: Tips for Requesting a Visit

1. What should I consider when requesting a visit to a graduate school?

There are several factors to consider when requesting a visit to a graduate school. These include the location, program offerings, faculty members, and resources available at the school. It's also important to consider the time and cost of the visit, as well as any specific requirements for scheduling a visit.

2. How far in advance should I request a visit to a graduate school?

It's best to request a visit to a graduate school at least 2-3 weeks in advance. This will give the school enough time to schedule your visit and make any necessary arrangements. However, if you have a specific date in mind, it's best to request the visit as early as possible to ensure availability.

3. Can I request a visit to multiple graduate schools at once?

Yes, you can request visits to multiple graduate schools at once. However, it's important to prioritize your top choices and make sure you have enough time and resources to visit each school. You may also want to consider scheduling visits to schools in the same area to make the most of your time and travel expenses.

4. What should I do during my visit to a graduate school?

During your visit to a graduate school, you should take the opportunity to meet with faculty members, current students, and admissions staff. It's also important to attend classes and seminars, tour the campus and facilities, and ask any questions you may have about the program and school. This will give you a better understanding of the school and help you make an informed decision.

5. Is it necessary to visit a graduate school before applying?

While it's not necessary to visit a graduate school before applying, it is highly recommended. Visiting a school can give you a better sense of the campus culture, the quality of the program, and the resources available to students. It can also help you determine if the school is a good fit for your academic and personal goals. However, if visiting a school is not feasible for you, you can still gather information through virtual tours, online resources, and speaking with current students or alumni.