Visit to The National Gem and Crystal Expo, Windsor, NSW, Australia

In summary, the rocks are protected from the crowd and the infection rates are low. The rare new infections are usually from within quarantine staff. Church services and sports crowds have been back on over last few weeks. Life is not back to the "old" normal, but for the most part, it's life, work, etc as usual.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
my first youtube video will do better next time ... was an awesome day with a wonderful selection of rocks, minerals fossils etc

Likes berkeman
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Is this a "masks are optional" meeting?

I did notice people are socially distancing from the rocks and that the rocks are protected from the crowd since they know that any Covid needle will break should a given rock decide to get a vaccine.

Any meteorite fragments?

Likes davenn
jedishrfu said:
Is this a "masks are optional" meeting?

I did notice people are socially distancing from the rocks and that the rocks are protected from the crowd since they know that any Covid needle will break should a given rock decide to get a vaccine.

Any meteorite fragments?
Masks are, for the last ~ 1.5 months, optional.
infection rates are extremely low. one or 2 infections every couple of weeks.
we do our best to social distance, but even that has relaxed substantially.
The rare new infections are usually from within quarantine staff or airport staff
and they are isolated very quickly and the follow up contract tracing is done quickly.
Church services and sports crowds etc have been back on over last few weeks and
slowing getting towards full capacities.
Life isn't back to the "old" normal, that may or may not ever happen ? But for the most part,
it's life, work, etc as usual. Many, like my wife, still work from home and just do week here
and there at the office. It depends on the individual business and what they want to do.

There were an assortment of meteorites and tektites/impactites.
I bought a bunch of tektites, mainly for samples to give to kids who show interest
in such thing. A little bit of prompting with the occasional meteorite and tektite
I didnt buy any of the meteorites that were on display, already had them in my collection

cheers
Dave

PS ... just wanting to get home from this hospital bed ... a very infected and swollen lower left leg

Likes jedishrfu
Nice, Dave. We have a rock show in mid January in Quartzite Az, about 12 hours drive from Austin that is quite large. Its held in dusty tents. We went with friends about 10 years ago and got quite a haul of quartz crystal prisms and amesite geode half shells. A lot of the rocks are shipped wholesale from places in South America.

https://www.gemsociety.org/article/view-quartzsite-gem-shows/

Quartzite is one of those trailer towns where folks go to escape the snow in other parts of the US so that it booms in January and then everyone is gone in the summer months because of the extreme Arizona heat, in excess of 120 degrees Fahrenheit on some days where you feel you being baked by heat in the air and radiated from the ground.

Hope your leg is feeling better. I've had issues with my right knee (torn meniscus) that still torments me everyday then goes away then comes back. I haven't figured out the trigger yet. It might be work so I'm retiring this month to test the theory. :-)

Likes davenn
jedishrfu said:
Nice, Dave. We have a rock show in mid January in Quartzite Az, about 12 hours drive from Austin that is quite large. Its held in dusty tents. We went with friends about 10 years ago and got quite a haul of quartz crystal prisms and amesite geode half shells. A lot of the rocks are shipped wholesale from places in South America.

https://www.gemsociety.org/article/view-quartzsite-gem-shows/

Quartzite is one of those trailer towns where folks go to escape the snow in other parts of the US so that it booms in January and then everyone is gone in the summer months because of the extreme Arizona heat, in excess of 120 degrees Fahrenheit on some days where you feel you being baked by heat in the air and radiated from the ground.

Hope your leg is feeling better. I've had issues with my right knee (torn meniscus) that still torments me everyday then goes away then comes back. I haven't figured out the trigger yet. It might be work so I'm retiring this month to test the theory. :-)
the premier show over there is the Tucson one. absolutely massive show
It's usually around Jan-Feb for a couple of weeks

thanks for your thoughts :smile: Yeah, I have a meniscal tear in my right knee as well, it's painful24/7
been like that 2 yrs now and they won't do surgery ... a straightforward keyhole surgery sew up.
All walking is painful.

Retirement, lucky you ! :smile: Wish I could, don't have enough funds to do that

I’ve heard that too about Tucson but never went. The Quartzite show was enough slogging around for us. It gets very tiring lugging your stuff around for hours.

Likes davenn

Related to Visit to The National Gem and Crystal Expo, Windsor, NSW, Australia

1. What is the National Gem and Crystal Expo?

The National Gem and Crystal Expo is an annual event held in Windsor, NSW, Australia that showcases a wide variety of gemstones, crystals, and minerals from around the world. It is a popular event for gem and crystal enthusiasts, as well as for those interested in geology and earth sciences.

2. When and where is the National Gem and Crystal Expo held?

The National Gem and Crystal Expo is typically held in the month of October at the Hawkesbury Showground in Windsor, NSW, Australia. The exact dates may vary, so it is best to check the official website for updated information.

3. What can I expect to see at the National Gem and Crystal Expo?

At the National Gem and Crystal Expo, you can expect to see a wide variety of gemstones, crystals, and minerals on display from both local and international vendors. There will also be workshops, lectures, and demonstrations on various topics related to gemstones and crystals. Additionally, there will be opportunities to purchase these beautiful specimens and learn more about their origins and properties.

4. Is the National Gem and Crystal Expo suitable for children?

Yes, the National Gem and Crystal Expo is a family-friendly event and is suitable for children. There will be activities and demonstrations specifically designed for children, as well as plenty of interesting and educational exhibits for them to explore.

5. Are there any COVID-19 safety measures in place at the National Gem and Crystal Expo?

Yes, the organizers of the National Gem and Crystal Expo are committed to following all necessary COVID-19 safety measures to ensure the safety of attendees. This may include mandatory mask-wearing, social distancing, and limited capacity. It is recommended to check the official website for any updated safety guidelines before attending the event.