Exploring Science on My Field Trip to Lincoln City OR

In summary, the speaker went to Lincoln City, OR to view the solar eclipse and made a trip out of it by visiting a used bookstore and a shop selling minerals and fossils. They also purchased a meteorite and had a fog scare, but were able to get a clear view of the eclipse and capture it with their camera. They also explored the coast and saw sea lions and a grey whale. The speaker expresses their enjoyment of the trip and gives it a high rating. They also mention their interest in meteorites and their growing collection.
Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
As those of you who followed the Eclipse thread likely know, I went to Lincoln City OR to catch the solar eclipse. We arrived early Sunday and just got home today. Having some time to kill, we expanded the trip to beyond just the Eclipse.
First stop was a used bookstore, where I found this book Entitled Progess in Science copyright 1945
This is the table of contents:
contents.jpg

a ecletic collections of science subjects.

We then stopped in a a shop that sold Minerals, Fossils etc.
If had $15,000 to spare, I could have dropped it on this collection of trilobites and starfish.
fossils.jpg

which adds paleontology to the science subjects.

Also while there I had my eye on this meteorite, which my wife decided to buy me for my birthday (she let me take a picture of it, but I don't get to take possession for a few days yet.)
meteorite.jpg

So this adds meteoretics to the list

We woke the next morning to fog, which threatened to block our view of the Sun, but with the help of a friendly stranger, were point to a spot just a short distance away that was clear. Such is the way of coastal fog, socked in here, and clear a short distance away this picture is from later in the day, when it was clear, but fog was still hugging some of the hills:
fog.JPG

Thus was our lesson in meteorology.

Of course, the main feature of the trip was astronomy and the eclipse which I was able to capture with my camera.
IMG_9486.JPG

The following day, we explored a bit of the coast, saw some sea lions basking on a sand bar
sealions.JPG

And even spotted a Grey whale off the coast.
whale.JPG

At one point, it breached about 20 yards out and about 60 yards from our viewpoint.
So I was even able to get a bit of marine biology in.
All in all, a full 2 days.

Attachments

• fog.JPG
    fog.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 425
  • sealions.JPG
    sealions.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 405
  • whale.JPG
    whale.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 475
  • meteorite.jpg
    meteorite.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 428
Likes cobalt124, 1oldman2, DrClaude and 11 others
Physics news on Phys.org
That is exactly how science is meant to be and if only schools and parents presented it to our kids in that way.

I give your "field trip" 1000 out of 10 stars.

ps. From my "side of the road" encounters, I'd say many people around the country had similar experiences.

Janus said:
We then stopped in a a shop that sold Minerals, Fossils etc.
If had $15,000 to spare, I could have dropped it on this collection of trilobites and starfish.

seriously impressive !

Janus said:
So this adds meteoretics to the list

I'm assuming from that, it's your first meteorite ?
hopefully it comes with a full authenticity and fall location note
you will be hooked and more will be to come, "one cannot have just one meteorite" :wink:
my collection of them continues to grow

Janus said:
Of course, the main feature of the trip was astronomy and the eclipse which I was able to capture with my camera.

spot on ... well done

looks like an all round awesome trip :smile:

I really did enjoy reading that.

davenn said:
seriously impressive !
I'm assuming from that, it's your first meteorite ?
hopefully it comes with a full authenticity and fall location note
yes to both questions.
you will be hooked and more will be to come, "one cannot have just one meteorite" :wink:
my collection of them continues to grow
We'll see :rolleyes:
spot on ... well done
Thanks. As I've mentioned elsewhere, this was my second chance to get an eclipse photo after being clouded out in '79.
looks like an all round awesome trip :smile:
It was. The traffic and crowds, despite prognostications of otherwise, were reasonable, at least where we were. And, except for our initial worry with the fog, stress free and fun.

Likes davenn

1. What scientific concepts can I explore in Lincoln City?

Lincoln City offers various opportunities to explore scientific concepts such as marine biology, geology, weather patterns, and sustainable energy. You can also learn about local flora and fauna, and how they play a role in the ecosystem.

2. What types of hands-on activities can I participate in?

There are several hands-on activities you can participate in, such as collecting and identifying shells and rocks on the beach, conducting water quality tests in the ocean, and observing marine life in tide pools. You can also visit the North Lincoln County Historical Museum to learn about the history of the area and participate in interactive exhibits.

3. Are there any educational programs or guided tours available?

Yes, there are educational programs and guided tours available in Lincoln City. The Hatfield Marine Science Center offers guided tours that focus on marine life and ecology. The Lincoln City Cultural Center also offers educational programs for children and adults, including workshops and lectures on various scientific topics.

4. Can I learn about sustainable energy in Lincoln City?

Yes, you can learn about sustainable energy in Lincoln City. The city is home to the Oregon Coast Renewable Energy Co-Operative, which offers educational programs and tours of their wind and solar energy facilities. You can also visit the Lincoln City Community Center to learn about their sustainable energy practices.

5. Are there any opportunities to interact with scientists or researchers in Lincoln City?

Yes, there are opportunities to interact with scientists and researchers in Lincoln City. The Hatfield Marine Science Center hosts lectures and presentations by scientists and researchers, and you may also have the chance to meet and speak with them during guided tours. Additionally, some of the local educational programs and workshops may be led by scientists and researchers in the area.