Viscous liquid between two circular discs.

In summary, the student is trying to find the weight that can be supported by a viscous liquid on a solid surface. However, they are not understanding how to find the pressure and velocity profiles and integrate them to find the force of the liquid on the solid.
guitar24

Homework Statement

14l4h8o.png

That is the problem statement. I can't seem to get started on part a.

For part b I can find the velocity profile of the viscous liquid form the equations of motion relating velocity and change in pressure, find the avg velocity, and find the change in pressure from that.

Any hints ??

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a creeping motion fluids problem like something you experience in a bearing. In this case the pressure gradient in the radial direction equals the Laplacian of the radial velocity times the viscosity. You indicate you can solve for the pressure and velocity profiles so you already are aware of the equation involved. If you integrate the pressure over the area of the disk, that should give you the weight that can be supported.

Thank you for your reply.

So there is no way I can find the weight that can be supported without finding the pressure drop and doing part b first?

I was thinking about integrating the stress Tau(rz) over the area of the top plate to find the force of the fluid on the solid. Would this be correct?

Thank you, I understand it a little better now and the velocity profile I got is the same. But that reference still doesn't mention anything about a force acting on the disc. Regarding to what I said earlier, can I integrate Tau(rz) over the area of the disc to find the force on the plate by the liquid?

How do you define Tau(rz). Is it shear stress?

Yes but nvm that isn't correct. I am sure I have to integrate the change in pressure + Tau (zz) (normal stress, but this is 0 for any fluid solid interface) over the disc area. I see what you were saying in your initial comment and you were right. Thank you!

Related to Viscous liquid between two circular discs.

1. What is the purpose of studying the flow of viscous liquid between two circular discs?

The study of the flow of viscous liquid between two circular discs is important in understanding the behavior of fluids in confined spaces. This knowledge has applications in various industries such as chemical engineering, materials science, and biomedical engineering.

2. How does the viscosity of the liquid affect the flow between the discs?

The viscosity of the liquid plays a crucial role in the flow between two circular discs. Higher viscosity leads to a slower flow rate and more resistance to flow, while lower viscosity results in a faster flow rate and less resistance.

3. What factors influence the flow of viscous liquid between two circular discs?

The flow of viscous liquid between two circular discs is influenced by factors such as the viscosity and density of the liquid, the gap between the discs, the surface tension, and the speed of rotation of the discs. These factors can affect the flow rate, pressure distribution, and shear stress of the liquid.

4. What are the different types of flow that can occur between two circular discs?

The flow between two circular discs can be classified into three types: laminar, transitional, and turbulent. Laminar flow is characterized by smooth and orderly movement of the liquid, while transitional flow has a mix of laminar and turbulent characteristics. Turbulent flow is chaotic and unpredictable, with high levels of mixing and energy dissipation.

5. How can the flow between two circular discs be mathematically described?

The flow between two circular discs can be described using the Navier-Stokes equations, which are a set of partial differential equations that govern the motion of viscous fluids. These equations take into account the forces acting on the liquid, such as pressure, viscosity, and gravity, and can be solved using numerical methods to predict the behavior of the flow.