Village in Peru Whitewashes Mountain to Restore Snow | CNN

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, a village in Peru has whitewashed a mountain in an attempt to restore snow. Some believe this idea is crazy, while others believe it might work. The process involves coating the mountain with calcium hydroxide, chalk, and soap, which could potentially have negative environmental impacts. However, the effectiveness of this method depends on the availability of moisture for snow, which may be a limiting factor. Overall, the success of this project is uncertain and further research is needed.
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
A whitewashed surface will absorb less solar infared energy, so will remain cooler...

Greg Bernhardt said:
A village in Peru whitewashes a mountain to restore snow. What do you think? Crazy or might it work?
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/video/world/2011/11/28/romo-peru-glacier-whitewash.cnn

I think someone should build a railway between Peru and Connecticut.

Connecticut gets lots of snow I've found out today.

(ps. my vote is on crazy... but it did spark in my mind a reason why a bunch of Egyptians a few years back would want to build artificial mountains clad in white limestone...)

Interesting! :smile:

I vote that it might work.
(Perhaps this thread should be a poll?)

If it works, the question would be how much they would have to whitewash.
And whether a reversal would start growing.

Last edited:
So a coating of Calcium hydroxide, chalk and soap? Just what do these guys think these poor folks wil do with the alkaline soapy water - bathe in it? I saw no consideration of the environmental impact Ignorant western dilletantes playing at science. Oh well - only 500 folks left and maybe they're getting paid to pollute their mountain.

The video won't appear here. So I can't verify the story.
Anyway, there has been a lot of white washing going on but that probably may have ended with very recent devellopments.

Anyway, you can attempt to lower albedo and decrease absorption, cooling the surface, but ultimately you need moisture to get snow and mountains tend to be cold enough already. So what about the moisture source?

Related to Village in Peru Whitewashes Mountain to Restore Snow | CNN

1. How did the village in Peru whiten the mountain?

The village in Peru used a combination of lime and water to create a whitewash solution, which was then applied to the mountain using large paintbrushes. This method has been used for centuries in Peru to brighten and preserve buildings, and was adapted for use on the mountain.

2. Why did the village decide to whiten the mountain?

The village decided to whiten the mountain in order to restore the snow that had disappeared due to climate change. The whitewash reflects sunlight and heat, which helps to lower the temperature and create a colder environment for snow to form and accumulate.

3. Has this method been successful in restoring the snow?

Yes, this method has been successful in restoring the snow on the mountain. The village has reported an increase in snowfall since they began whitewashing the mountain, and the local ecosystem has also shown signs of improvement.

4. Is this method environmentally friendly?

Yes, this method is considered to be environmentally friendly. The whitewash used is made from natural materials and does not contain any harmful chemicals. Additionally, by restoring the snow on the mountain, the village is helping to protect the local environment and preserve the ecosystem.

5. Are there any other benefits to whitewashing the mountain?

Aside from restoring the snow, whitewashing the mountain also has other benefits. It helps to prevent erosion and protects the mountain from UV rays, which can damage the landscape. Additionally, the bright white color of the mountain has also attracted tourists and brought economic benefits to the village.