CNN Article about Crisis-Apparitions

• Thread starter riezer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    article
In summary: What part of our physics need to be upgraded or modified? Would Copenhagen Interpretation still hold true? Or would Bohmian Mechanics Implicate Order be closer to reality?The part of our physics that might need to be upgraded or modified is the assumption that there is an objective reality. In some cases it might be more accurate to assume that reality is constructed by the observer.
riezer
CNN Article about "Crisis-Apparitions"

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/09/23/living/crisis-apparitions/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

I'm surprised this is mentioned in CNN.

Do you think stuff like that can happen?

Or are you 100% certain it can't happen? Why?

Supposed it could happen just for sake of discussion. What part of our physics need to be upgraded or modified? Would Copenhagen Interpretation still hold true? Or would Bohmian Mechanics Implicate Order be closer to reality?

Physics news on Phys.org

As the article points out, these things happen when there's been an intimate bond.

Last year the brother of a woman I know died. A couple weeks later her mother reported to her that the brother had walked through their living room the night before and paused to wink at her, as if to say "No worries!" and then walked out of the room. After this, the mother began spending an hour or so every day conversing with the urn of his ashes. She recommended the daughter do the same because "He's not really dead. I saw him."

It's pretty easy to suppose the mother was reacting to the death of her son by hallucinating a sort of "good bye" scenario that makes everything OK. It's a case of emotional shock.

My bet about the scenarios where the apparition is reported as having shown up before the person received the news of the death is that it's most likely a case of false memory. The shock causes people to later misremember the timeline in such a way that death is even easier to bear. The person cannot accept the death, therefore they engineer a scenario in which the person is "not really dead", they continue in some form of "afterlife" and everything is really OK.

I am open to the possibility that this might happen, but strongly doubt it does. There has to be some other, rational explanation.

I wouldn't be too much surprised, a true scientist is open to anything as long as there are proofs. I just wish I didn't see this now, now I won't be able to sleep :rolleyes:

My bet about the scenarios where the apparition is reported as having shown up before the person received the news of the death is that it's most likely a case of false memory. The shock causes people to later misremember the timeline in such a way that death is even easier to bear. The person cannot accept the death, therefore they engineer a scenario in which the person is "not really dead", they continue in some form of "afterlife" and everything is really OK.

That could be true, but are there any other situations where it's known that this happens? If this happens it'd be observed in other traumatic events.

Last edited:

Tosh5457 said:
That could be true, but are there any other situations where it's known that this happens? If this happens it'd be observed in other traumatic events.
If you mean apparitions seen of people that are alive, but in an accident, etc... there are anecdotes of these also. Usually though, you'll find that the person has the "memory" AFTER they receive the news.

Tosh5457 said:
When I was a kid in Catholic School one nun once told us about the phenomenon of "bi-location". This is an alleged ability to be in two places at once. A few of the saints are said to have had this ability. They appeared to people in one city at a time they were well known to be living very far away in another city. Witnesses attest to the fact the saint was home when they allegedly showed up two days journey away. This happened when they were alive and well, i.e. no trauma.

The reason she mentioned it is because "bi-location" was considered a miracle, and, in order to be canonized a saint a person has to have been responsible for a miracle. Such stories are presented, with witnesses, when they are being considered for canonization.

I have read that shamans and wizard-types also allegedly have this ability to show up far away from where they "actually" are.

That's the only thing I've heard of remotely similar to the alleged phenomenon in the CNN story.

In a somewhat related vein, it used to be reported, in earlier writings on hypnotism, that once a hypnotist had given a person a post hypnotic suggestion (such as "After you wake up, when I rap my knuckles on the table you will feel very thirsty and you will drink a glass of water.") the post hypnotic suggestion would work even if the subject was no longer in the hypnotists presence. That is: even if the subject had gone home, if the hypnotist rapped his knuckles on the table the subject would go get a drink of water despite being, say, two miles away, unable to hear the rap. I haven't heard any modern hypnotist make this claim but I've read two separate older accounts of it. Spooky action at a distance.

Back in college. I had a professor who claimed that one time she planned to go to a party and thinking of wearing a certain dress. Then she just slept. The next morning. Her friends claimed they saw her at the party with the color of the dress she intended to wear. She is a very sophisticated and high EQ woman and just mentioned it because she was teaching literature and asked us if we believed in astral projection and described what happened to her that still perflexed her.

So it's not just saints or wizards who claim to be in 2 places but highly sophisticated people.
Many occult schools teach that as we develope and evolve our emotions. Our astral body (or whatever it is) would be advanced enough to be in independent places.

Please cite reports or other stuff you heard about people being seen elsewhere while asleep. Of course we can just attribute it to sleep walking and mental problems. Debunking it is no problem. Just mention the reports or any news if you have heard of them.

Anecdotes are just that. They are of no scientific value because they have no proof, cannot be replicated, and therefore cannot be falsified.

In answer to your PM, this is a science forum. This forum allows for personal anecdotes ONLY if no one tries to give them meaning, as in astral projection, dead human spirits, extra-terestrial beings, mythological creatures etc...

What about all the times that someone thinks they see someone they know, or have a dream about someone they know, or have a feeling about someone they know, and they DON'T die?

The reasoning is simple. People die. And people experience dreams (or whatever they are) about their friends and loved ones. Sometimes those dreams occur right before they die. Just a matter of odds. Of course, you never hear about the times that nothing "paranormal" occurs.

If anyone has any news or anecdotes about Teleportation.. please share it too as it may fall under the same group of phenomenon but just differs in degree as in...

Easy - Crisis Apparition
Intermediate (non-demolition) - Bi-location
Hard (demolition) - Teleportation

In current times. Paramahansa Yogananda wrote in "Autobiography of a Yogi" how his teacher, Babaji, has teleported a bunch of people from place to place from time to time in this century. This is compared to Bi-location reports of saints which date back to centuries ago..

Ok. If anyone has any information of any kind about Paramanhasa Yoganda and how him might be a fraud. Please share it. I haven't heard of anyone debunking him after half a century (unlike Sai Baba whom some believe are a fraud). Has anyone actually investigated whether Babaji exist or any reason to believe it's all a fabrication?

riezer said:
Please cite reports or other stuff you heard about people being seen elsewhere while asleep. Of course we can just attribute it to sleep walking and mental problems. Debunking it is no problem. Just mention the reports or any news if you have heard of them.

Thank you for this thread - it is interesting.

I was already apprised of many newspaper reports of Padre Pio, but you have covered it well so far. I myself have never experienced anything like bi-location. But yesterday I asked my cousin Karl, who is somewhat unusual in appearance, and maybe a little bit "charismatic" with women, if he had ever been reported to have been seen out in public when he was in fact at home. He readily replied in the affirmative, adding that this happens to "everybody". When I insisted it did not, he replied that it must be because of his unusual looks, and that people will mistake other unusual-looking people to be him.

Respectfully,
Steve

Dotini said:
He readily replied in the affirmative, adding that this happens to "everybody". When I insisted it did not...

I think it's pretty common. I, myself, have twice run across pictures of guys who were indistinguishable from me, even to my own eyes, once in a book, once on the internet. I have also very often seen someone at a distance, thought it was someone I knew, and only found out it wasn't when I got close.

A few years ago, we found a picture of a girl on the internet that looked exactly like the Evo Child. At first I thought it was her. They could be identical twins, it was spooky.

Related to CNN Article about Crisis-Apparitions

1. What is a crisis-apparition?

A crisis-apparition is a phenomenon in which a deceased person is believed to appear to a living person in order to convey a message or provide comfort during a time of crisis. This type of apparition is often reported by individuals who are experiencing extreme stress or grief.

2. How is a crisis-apparition different from a regular ghost sighting?

While both involve the appearance of a deceased person, a crisis-apparition is believed to have a specific purpose and is typically only seen by one person. Regular ghost sightings, on the other hand, may involve multiple witnesses and may not have a specific intention behind the appearance.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support the existence of crisis-apparitions?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the existence of crisis-apparitions. However, many individuals who have experienced these types of apparitions report a strong feeling of presence and a sense of comfort from the encounter.

4. Can crisis-apparitions be explained by psychological or physiological factors?

Some experts believe that crisis-apparitions may be the result of psychological or physiological factors such as grief, stress, or hallucinations. However, there is no definitive explanation for these experiences and more research is needed to fully understand them.

5. Why do some people believe in the existence of crisis-apparitions?

Many people believe in crisis-apparitions due to their own personal experiences or the experiences of others that they trust. These apparitions can also provide a sense of comfort and closure for those who are grieving or going through a difficult time, leading them to believe in their existence.