Vieta's Relations: Proving \sumg(x_{k}) = 6

• Thread starter muzak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relations
In summary, the sum of the roots of f(x)=0 is equal to 6, as shown by using the Vieta relations and manipulating them to find the sum of squares of the roots.
muzak

Homework Statement

Consider the polynomials:

f(x) = x[itex]^{6}[/itex] + x[itex]^{3}[/itex] +1 and g(x) = x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + x + 1

Denote the roots of f(x) = 0 by x[itex]_{1}[/itex], ... , x[itex]_{6}[/itex].

Show that [itex]\sum[/itex]g(x[itex]_{k}[/itex]) = 6 , 1[itex]\leq[/itex]k[itex]\leq[/itex]6

Homework Equations

Vieta relations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Please correct any initial mistakes I may have made in this, new to Vieta.

[itex]\sum[/itex]x[itex]_{i}[/itex] = 0, 1[itex]\leq[/itex]i[itex]\leq[/itex]6

[itex]\sum[/itex]x[itex]_{i}[/itex]x[itex]_{j}[/itex]x[itex]_{k}[/itex] = -1, 1[itex]\leq[/itex]i,j,k[itex]\leq[/itex]6, i[itex]\neq[/itex]j[itex]\neq[/itex]k

and

[itex]\prod[/itex]x[itex]_{i}[/itex] = 1, 1[itex]\leq[/itex]i[itex]\leq[/itex]6.

Then we must show that

x[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex] + x[itex]_{1}[/itex] + 1 + x[itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex] + x[itex]_{2}[/itex] + 1 + x[itex]^{2}_{3}[/itex] + x[itex]_{3}[/itex] + 1 + x[itex]^{2}_{4}[/itex] + x[itex]_{4}[/itex] + 1 + x[itex]^{2}_{5}[/itex] + x[itex]_{5}[/itex] + 1 + x[itex]^{2}_{6}[/itex] + x[itex]_{6}[/itex] + 1 = 6

or using the first vieta relation we must show that

x[itex]^{2}_{1}[/itex] + x[itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex] + x[itex]^{2}_{3}[/itex] + x[itex]^{2}_{4}[/itex] + x[itex]^{2}_{5}[/itex] + x[itex]^{2}_{6}[/itex] = 0

Then I'm stuck, if I did everything right so far.

Never mind, I think I might have gotten it, I could just multiply the first vieta relation by itself to get what I need, the x's square, which will include the second two vieta relations which'll add up to zero and all the other combinations of the x's will automatically be zero since we had no coefficients for some of the polynomial degrees, right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Right, I think. You didn't really show the whole thing. But sure, if you square the first relation you'll get the sum of the squares plus something else, which you can also show to be zero.

Related to Vieta's Relations: Proving \sumg(x_{k}) = 6

1. What are Vieta's relations?

Vieta's relations are a set of mathematical equations that relate the coefficients and roots of a polynomial equation. They were discovered by French mathematician François Viète in the 16th century and are used to find the sum and product of the roots of a polynomial.

2. How do Vieta's relations apply to proving ∑g(xk) = 6?

Vieta's relations can be used to prove that the sum of the roots of a polynomial equation is equal to a specific value. In this case, by applying Vieta's formulas to the polynomial equation g(x) = 0, we can show that the sum of its roots, denoted by ∑g(xk), is equal to 6.

3. What is the significance of proving ∑g(xk) = 6?

Proving that ∑g(xk) = 6 is significant because it shows that the sum of the roots of the polynomial equation g(x) = 0 is equal to 6, regardless of the specific values of the coefficients. This can help in solving other problems and understanding the behavior of polynomial equations.

4. What is the process for proving ∑g(xk) = 6 using Vieta's relations?

The process for proving ∑g(xk) = 6 using Vieta's relations involves first identifying the coefficients of the polynomial equation g(x) = 0. Then, using Vieta's formulas, we can express the sum of the roots as a function of the coefficients. By substituting the coefficients into this formula, we can show that the sum of the roots is equal to 6, proving the desired result.

5. Are there any limitations to using Vieta's relations to prove ∑g(xk) = 6?

Vieta's relations are only applicable to polynomial equations with real or complex coefficients. They also only apply to equations with finite, distinct roots. Additionally, Vieta's formulas do not work for equations with irrational or imaginary roots. Therefore, the use of Vieta's relations to prove ∑g(xk) = 6 is limited to polynomial equations that meet these criteria.