Vibrations of waves with pinned vs free boundary conditions

In summary, the frequencies associated with waves tend to be larger when the boundaries are pinned as opposed to free, due to the difference in boundary conditions. This can be seen in musical instruments, where having two pinned boundaries results in a shorter wavelength and higher frequency. However, it is difficult to make both ends of an instrument unpinned, so there are different combinations of boundary conditions in various instruments. This concept can be found in published literature, particularly in the study of waves on a string. Additionally, the bore of an instrument also plays a role in its sound and range.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Can someone explain to me why in math/physics the frequencies associated with waves (or say drum heads) tend to be larger when the boundaries are pinned as opposed to free? If possible, do you know any published literature on this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a resonant column of air (like a flute). If you have an unpinned boundary it turns into an antinode and a pinned boundary turns into a node when you are thinking of the fundamental frequency. So with two pinned boundaries you have a wavelength equal to twice your tube length and with only one pinned boundary you have a wavelength equal to four times your tube length. The shorter wavelength corresponds to a higher frequency.

Likes member 428835, hutchphd, sophiecentaur and 1 other person
I don't think this is all consistent. An unpinned boundary at each end will have a half wave resonance - same as with a pinned boundary at each end. There are practical difficulties achieving this, though. Open ends make it difficult to mount things like vibrating strings and diaphragms.

I was thinking pinned at one end and then the other end either pinned or unpinned. With most musical instruments it is hard to make both ends unpinned.

Likes sophiecentaur
Thank you both! Dale, is this in the literature anywhere formally?

Dale said:
I was thinking pinned at one end and then the other end either pinned or unpinned. With most musical instruments it is hard to make both ends unpinned.

Blowing on (across) the end of an open tube would qualify as that which (I suddenly remembered) applies to a flute and others. So actually all combinations are possible with common musical instruments.

I do remember that the lowest rank of organ pipes are closed end, which gives them an octave of range below the rest, for a given length. Quantity rather than sound quality perhaps.

That link again: But nothing is simple because (and again I heard this years ago and had forgotten) an oboe has a double reed and a nominally closed end, yet it has the same range as a flute, which is definitely open ended. The link seems to fudge that issue a bit but I guess it has to do with the difference between the balanced and unbalanced excitation of double and single reeds. Actually it cannot be simple (as if!) because a clarinet has a much more bass sounding note than an oboe, which is not what the basic statement about musical range would suggest. Oboe is very 'harmonicky', compared with the deep reedyness of a clarinet - but that's a whole new layer of complexity.

Likes hutchphd and Dale
sophiecentaur said:
Actually it cannot be simple (as if!) because a clarinet has a much more bass sounding note than an oboe, which is not what the basic statement about musical range would suggest. Oboe is very 'harmonicky', compared with the deep reedyness of a clarinet
I believe the bore of a clarinet is cylindrical whereas the oboe is conical; this is also true for the trumpet and the flugelhorn. In each case the length is the same.

Likes sophiecentaur
Dale said:
@sophiecentaur well, your symphonic knowledge certainly exceeds mine! :bow:
I got to Grade 2 on Violin. The rest of my life has been played by ear!

Likes Dale and hutchphd
This is sort of fun. Apparently each horn is more "conical" trumpet<cornet< flugelhorn< mellophone. Live and learn:

Likes sophiecentaur

Related to Vibrations of waves with pinned vs free boundary conditions

What is the difference between pinned and free boundary conditions for vibrations of waves?

The boundary conditions for vibrations of waves refer to how the ends of the medium in which the wave is propagating are constrained. In pinned boundary conditions, the ends of the medium are fixed and cannot move, while in free boundary conditions, the ends are allowed to move freely.

How do pinned and free boundary conditions affect the behavior of waves?

The type of boundary conditions can significantly impact the behavior of waves. In pinned boundary conditions, the waves are reflected back towards the source, resulting in standing waves. In free boundary conditions, the waves are able to pass through the ends of the medium, resulting in traveling waves.

Which boundary conditions are more commonly used in real-world applications?

Pinned boundary conditions are more commonly used in real-world applications because they are easier to implement and control. For example, musical instruments typically have fixed ends, resulting in pinned boundary conditions for the vibrations of sound waves.

How do boundary conditions affect the frequency of waves?

The frequency of waves is determined by the wavelength and the speed of the wave. In pinned boundary conditions, the wavelength is limited by the distance between the fixed ends, resulting in higher frequencies. In free boundary conditions, the wavelength can be longer, resulting in lower frequencies.

Can boundary conditions be changed during the propagation of waves?

Yes, it is possible to change the boundary conditions during the propagation of waves. This can result in a change in the behavior and frequency of the waves. For example, changing from pinned to free boundary conditions can cause a standing wave to become a traveling wave.